Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Has DL ever flown NS from MIA or FLL to SJU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

If you live in the Miami - Ft. Lauderdale area and want a NS flight on a major carrier to SJU you are limited to AA from MIA or B6 and WN from FLL.

I am not even considering the one flight that NK has from FLL as you couldn't pay me enough money to ever fly on them.

Needless to say it doesn't pay to connect in ATL if you want to use DL. Has DL ever flown NS from the east coast of Florida directly to SJU?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I live in MIA and connect in ATL to destinations all over the Caribbean all the time.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:14 pm

DL did fly MCO-SJU, but no more.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With the frequency that B6 has from FLL - SJU and the influx of Puerto Ricans to Southern Florida one would think this could be a good route for DL.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Flew PBI-ATL-SJU in May.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
I live in MIA and connect in ATL to destinations all over the Caribbean all the time.
IMO if a NS is available at a reasonable price my loyalty to DL ends. B6 has 5-6 NS flights daily FLL-SJU with the average flight taking 2 hours 40 minutes. Why in the world would I subject myself to a connection in ATL , the higher cost, doubling the time for the trip and the issues that can occur when you are dealing with a connection?

Anyway let's go back to my original question, did DL ever fly NS from MIA or FLL to SJU?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Why in the world would I subject myself to a connection in ATL , the higher cost, doubling the time for the trip and the issues that can occur when you are dealing with a connection?
Well obviously YOU wouldn't, but many people would do it for MQMs/MQD.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Anyway let's go back to my original question, did DL ever fly NS from MIA or FLL to SJU?
If you're preparing to fire up your time machine to travel on a carrier no longer serving SoFla-SJU, make it memorable:

Put yourself on the first Pan Am flight, circa 1929.

http://www.panam.org/take-off/575-a-day-to-remember-2

Otherwise, looking at JetBlue, American, Spirit and Southwest non-stops of the present day might be a good use of time.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Yes: http://www.departedflights.com/DL121579p47.html

(DL also flew MIA-FLL back then.)
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you're preparing to fire up your time machine to travel on a carrier no longer serving SoFla-SJU, make it memorable:

Put yourself on the first Pan Am flight, circa 1929.

http://www.panam.org/take-off/575-a-day-to-remember-2
Wow, talk about a blast from the past! ^
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

I can't believe that you found that schedule from 1979! ^
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ncwillett
Well obviously YOU wouldn't, but many people would do it for MQMs/MQD.
Years ago I might have done it for the MQM's. However today even if the fare was the same I would not spend 6-7 hours traveling and risk the issues that one always encounters on a connecting flight if I can take a NS and only have a 2 hour 40 minute trip.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by guv1976

I'd imagine there was no service MIA-FLL even in F.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I loved collecting and reading airline schedules from the late 1970's into the 1980's. That was when I figured out the frequency codes of 1 for Monday, 2 for Tuesday, ... 6 for Saturday and 7 for Sunday (x67 means not operating on Saturday or Sunday). Therefore Monday is the first day of the week and Sunday is the last day of the week, which makes most calendars appear wrong.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: DL GM
I can't imagine DL could ever carve out enough of a market share to make FLL/MIA-SJU profitable. Five different airlines fly either FLL or MIA nonstop to SJU, all five would have no difficulty undercutting DL's prices if DL decided to fly the route. While you (and I) want nothing to do with Spirit, Frontier or Southwest, those terminals at FLL are absolutely packed more often than not and those prices would be nearly impossible to beat for casual weekend/family vacation travelers.

I doubt AA even makes a profit flying MIA-SJU considering the prices Spirit, Frontier and Southwest charge and MIA is AA's fifth largest hub. If you have to get to SJU from South Florida consistently, DL will never do you any good.

I fly DL to the Caribbean from FLL a half dozen times a year and even though I have to go through ATL to do it, it is almost always the cheapest and fastest option to SXM so it works for me and then I can catch a cheap flight from there onward to Saba or wherever I'm headed if necessary. The only time I have a tough decision to make is flying to AUA, as JetBlue does have a great nonstop FLL-AUA flight but if the prices are even, I'll just take DL anyway for the miles and medallion benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.