Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SEA-JFK upgrade rates as a gold on a Saturday?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Is there a chance this will upgrade as a gold at 10AM on a Saturday on an award ticket?

Or should I not bother even trying?

I can go SEA->JFK->Europe
Or I can go SEA->Europe->Intra-europe.

The second one gets there 1-2 hours quicker, but I obviously have no chance of an upgrade going that route.

Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Sure it's possible... how far out is the cabin showing that empty? Also is that one of the routes that no UCs are available? I forget.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

The forums here report it's up-gradable and delta.com only lists the SFO/LAX as being ineligible.

It's October.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by johndoe123
The forums here report it's up-gradable and delta.com only lists the SFO/LAX as being ineligible.

It's October.
I didn't realize Delta is flying 767's SEA-JFK .. this must be new

Just a guess but I think you'd have a pretty good shot with that many seats, even on an award ticket

SEA-JFK or vice versa is a common route for folks to use RUC's on especially with lie flats on the 757-200
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
It's certainly possible, although working against you is the fact that the 10AM is timed to take connections from several TPAC redeyes. Flights with lie-flats also tend to see higher percentages of paid F/J.

I would say that you shouldn't get your hopes up, but anything can happen on a Saturday.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

It sounds like it's worth the cost of an extra two hours of layover! It does have the added benefit of flying Delta metal directly to me EU destination, which avoids problems associated with carry-on baggage weighing.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:26 pm

It sounds like it's worth the cost of an extra two hours of layover! It does have the added benefit of flying Delta metal directly to me EU destination, which avoids problems associated with carry-on baggage weighing.
I generally prefer connecting in the US on the outbound portion for exactly the reasons above, but prefer EU on the return. That way I can avoid the hassle of baggage recheck and security re-screen in the US.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Used to fly SEA-JFK monthly as GM, now only sporadically as a PM. UG was very rare as GM, even on the weekends. I would put <50% chance, even with the large J cabin. This far out you are likely to see that cabin fill up. I have trouble on this route as PM, I often use RUC to increase chances, and even then sometimes the RUC doesn't clear. That's just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pleasantsn
Used to fly SEA-JFK monthly as GM, now only sporadically as a PM. UG was very rare as GM, even on the weekends. I would put <50% chance, even with the large J cabin. This far out you are likely to see that cabin fill up. I have trouble on this route as PM, I often use RUC to increase chances, and even then sometimes the RUC doesn't clear. That's just my 2 cents.
That's great news and the data I need. Thank you very much
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:42 pm

I would not count on the upgrade. I had an FCM of <$250 OW w/ lie flats on that route, and people pull the trigger with it being a 6.5 hour flight. With your flight being so far away, the cabin will fill up and there are plenty of DM/PM that will be ahead of you, even on a Saturday. Assume you will be in Y and book based on equipment. If JFK-EU is 767, book the flight through JFK. If its a 757, I would say you will be more comfortable on the SEA-EU flight which will likely be 767 or 330.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
echoing much of the above ... for a 4-1/2 hour daytime flight, book a good C+ seat and be pleasantly surprised if the UG clears

but also watch VERY closely for schedule changes: even this close to an Oct travel date, DL could still swap to a 26J 763 or (imo more likely) a 757
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
I've flown SEA-JFK a few times on a Sunday (albeit Sunday is a vastly different story than Saturday) on a 76W.... And I've always had to use an RUC and never have cleared prior to boarding.

Last time I did it I was #2 (as a DM with RUC on an S fare) for 1 seat, and then 1 no-show got me my 9B seat.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WWads
It's certainly possible, although working against you is the fact that the 10AM is timed to take connections from several TPAC redeyes.
It's also apparently timed to allow connections TO several TATL flights. @:-) That said, Saturday is actually the busiest day for US<->Asia business travel, but relatively light for US<->Europe.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
It's also apparently timed to allow connections TO several TATL flights. @:-) That said, Saturday is actually the busiest day for US<->Asia business travel, but relatively light for US<->Europe.
SEA-JFK-EU sounds extremely unpleasant, but if people are choosing that connection, more power to them.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I rarely check a bag and have never had my carry-on baggage (rollaboard and small backpack) weighed when flying within Europe.

I don't fly intra-EU as much as many on this forum, so others may report otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.