Wiki Posts
Search

Declining or refusing Diamond status?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Declining or refusing Diamond status?

I did some searches and can't find anything relevant threads... but I'm sure this has been discussed before.

I've been diamond and PLAT consistently over the last few years. To be honest, I don't see my upgrade % that much better with DIA status... Since I fly almost as often internationally as I do domestically, I get lounge access anyway (I also have priority pass membership). I have no use for those upgrade certs. I do enjoy the ability to cancel award-flights without charge.

This year, I have the (good) problem of possibly going over 125K MQM. However, I would much rather keep PLAT status and roll over ~50K miles. Does anyone have any experience getting Delta to hold their status at a certain level and just roll over all the MQMs?

My MQD is already over $15K, so that isn't something I can adjust for.

Another thing is that I'm at ~110K MQM now, and the possible flight is to China in business class, so that is going to be ~20K miles MQM. I can't get creative and book the ticket as 2 1-way. It is all or nothing... I have no status with any other airlines, so I'd rather not fly another airline unless it is for the sole purpose of not gaining Diamond status at Delta.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Just credit your miles to another Skymiles FF program until the end of the year. Might be enough for a domestic RT.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drminn
Just credit your miles to another Skymiles FF program until the end of the year. Might be enough for a domestic RT.
The problem is that it is a not a small chunk of miles... both RDM and MQM. The biggest disadvantage is that I would have to learn the redemption rules/tricks for that airline...My biggest fear would be expiration of the miles before I can use it.

I would probably target putting the miles in AA or United account if that is the way to go. Since I do have at least minimal activities in those accounts.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by chunky649
The problem is that it is a not a small chunk of miles... both RDM and MQM. The biggest disadvantage is that I would have to learn the redemption rules/tricks for that airline...My biggest fear would be expiration of the miles before I can use it.

I would probably target putting the miles in AA or United account if that is the way to go. Since I do have at least minimal activities in those accounts.
I think @drminn meant that you should continue to fly Delta, but credit your miles to a partner airline. For example, you could credit your miles to Flying Blue.

However, a downside of doing this is that you won't be able to realize any of the benefits of your DL status when crediting miles to a partner frequent flyer program where you don't have status. That means no upgrades, no preferred seats, no waived SDC fee, etc. You could change the program you credit miles to before you fly, though, if needed. I'm not sure what happens to preferred / upgraded seats, though, if you do this.

If you're worried about expiration of RDMs, one good way to keep miles active is to get a credit card with that other airline.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ruckzac
I think @drminn meant that you should continue to fly Delta, but credit your miles to a partner airline. For example, you could credit your miles to Flying Blue.

However, a downside of doing this is that you won't be able to realize any of the benefits of your DL status when crediting miles to a partner frequent flyer program where you don't have status. That means no upgrades, no preferred seats, no waived SDC fee, etc. You could change the program you credit miles to before you fly, though, if needed. I'm not sure what happens to preferred / upgraded seats, though, if you do this.

If you're worried about expiration of RDMs, one good way to keep miles active is to get a credit card with that other airline.
Thank you both for your suggestions...

I actually do understand Drminn's suggestion. But in short, I have a very dim view of those other skyteam programs... thats also a big reason why I don't already have one of their credit cards..(I actively churn cards) ;-)
Since this one big (potential) trip is in business class, I won't really need any of the perks of having DL status. So its really a loss of MQM and putting RDM in another airline... To be honest, I find AA miles more useful for my purposes anyway... but personally, flying domestically, I really enjoy flying DL more than other airlines (mostly due to my status, but also due to familiarity with the nuisances of 'navigating' Delta's rules and practices.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by chunky649
Thank you both for your suggestions...

I actually do understand Drminn's suggestion. But in short, I have a very dim view of those other skyteam programs... thats also a big reason why I don't already have one of their credit cards..(I actively churn cards) ;-)
Since this one big (potential) trip is in business class, I won't really need any of the perks of having DL status. So its really a loss of MQM and putting RDM in another airline... To be honest, I find AA miles more useful for my purposes anyway... but personally, flying domestically, I really enjoy flying DL more than other airlines (mostly due to my status, but also due to familiarity with the nuisances of 'navigating' Delta's rules and practices.
All that considered, I think your idea of flying AA (or AA partner) J for your trip to China is sound. You could do a status match/challenge to take advantage of the elite RDM bonus for your trip, but this could be a waste of a status match/challenge since you don't need the other elite benefits with a J ticket.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:29 pm

Why such a dim view of Flying Blue?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
The only way to roll over large excess of MQM is to not get enough MQD. Since it's too late for that, I think you're stuck.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You don't really have much of a choice. If you're past MQD already, your only option is to credit trips to other programs to avoid going over on EQMs. Flying Blue is not all that complicated of a program to "learn". The other possibility is to just credit to DL and plan your downgrade for next year.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Korean Air partner redemption. Will make SkyPesos seem more like Bolivars.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: First and Last time ever DL DM
Book on KE, credit to DL?

All you get is RDMs with the current partnership, correct?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LAStotheWorld

If KE coded yes. If DL coded you get full earnings like any DL flight.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Fly KE metal, credit to AS.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by LAStotheWorld

I think that the flight has to be KE-marketed for this to work. So, if KE doesn't codeshare the desired route, this wouldn't work. You could hypothetically ask KE to sell you a DL-marketed flight on KE stock, but I think this would fall under the normal accrual rules.

Besides, this is likely changing soon due Delta and Korean Air's expanded partnership announced in March.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ruckzac
I think that the flight has to be KE-marketed for this to work. So, if KE doesn't codeshare the desired route, this wouldn't work. You could hypothetically ask KE to sell you a DL-marketed flight on KE stock, but I think this would fall under the normal accrual rules.

Besides, this is likely changing soon due Delta and Korean Air's expanded partnership announced in March.
Quite simple, KE coded earns zero ZMQM/MQD. DL/other ST coded and KE operated earn per marketing carrier's earnings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.