Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I agree with rylan. No matter how high you are on Delta's "HVC" hierarchy, someone else is always higher (except for Delta's version of Tom Stuker, United's 20-million-mile man). If you want Delta to drop all the people below you to Platinum, then you better hope that the guy right above you isn't urging the same thing, because you could share in the experience. I really don't believe that Delta's planes are so crowded that thinning the herd will make any difference. The real problem is programs like FCM, which remove first-class seats from upgrade inventory before any of us has a real chance at getting them. That's not going to change.

Bruce
Traveller likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I agree with rylan. No matter how high you are on Delta's "HVC" hierarchy, someone else is always higher (except for Delta's version of Tom Stuker, United's 20-million-mile man). If you want Delta to drop all the people below you to Platinum, then you better hope that the guy right above you isn't urging the same thing, because you could share in the experience. I really don't believe that Delta's planes are so crowded that thinning the herd will make any difference. The real problem is programs like FCM, which remove first-class seats from upgrade inventory before any of us has a real chance at getting them. That's not going to change.

Bruce
Why is FCM a bad thing? No one deserves a free upgrade.

WFBF, and all that.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Well, the biggest advantage of being Diamond versus Platinum is where you appear on the upgrade list. If almost nobody is getting complimentary Medallion upgrades, then it doesn't matter.

Bruce
Traveller likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:16 am

There are plenty of other benefits. If I don’t want to compete with other DMs for upgrades, then I’ll by F — which, by coincidence, is what I’ll normally do unless the cabin is almost empty at the time I buy.

I don’t want my ability to actually PAY for an F seat compromised by some “elite” pax’s free upgrade.

See! A simple solution to every problem.

Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Renes Points
No amount of FACTS will work with some. I.E. unless FT CORP contact comes to FT and says YES we are granting wavers - some will keep saying #FAKENEWS .

However, untold numbers who get the "free" (only DMs) waver knows the truth!

Not saying it is a good thing since I earned MQD waver the hard way and will end year about 20k MQD but facts are facts!
"No amount of facts"? You do realize what a fact is and what hearsay is, right? Hearsay can very well be true but IIR at one point the only screen shot was a foreign one which was suspicious.

I called the DM line and asked, since I like facts and not hearsay. It was confirmed that for certain DM customers this would be granted. I asked if I would be granted it and she confirmed yes but that it looks like I wouldn't need it after she saw my upcoming travel but said she could process it. She claimed it was essentially a soft landing because they want to "reward customers like you (me) who spend their travel dollars on Delta" but didn't want a huge upheaval the first year by disenfranchising those who don't spend as much. I totally disagree because if I wasn't on FT, I would have never known and a lot of domestic road warriors are in that bucket. With that said, I found out I need to be in HKG twice in December and may skip a few leisure trips (DL PS and VS PE) that were gonna put me way over for MQD. I still think I'm going to because I'm at $12.5K MQD and will have MSN>HKG, HKG>MSN and MSN>HKG in Dec all booked at relatively last minute but since I'm way over 100K already, I could conceivably benefit if I elect to request it and those fares don't pan out. I'm just not sure if I could stomach doing so since I strongly believe in following the rules.

As to all the other discussions, TheHorta -- DM's do deserve some free but not all upgrades. It's part of our contract and expectations. We get up to 12 certificates just to make those happen. For all the people concerned about changes to the program and all that, DL is a business and they will do what they want. I do FCM not because WFBF but because the SDC is too lucrative an option at many FCM prices. When I got frustrated with NW and LUV came to MKE, I switched to them 10 years or so ago since it was only a 75 minute drive from my home (MSN is literally 10). DL got me back with a Plat challenge in 2014 after I had to take them on some ANC trips. I would legitimately like to see them through my MM qualification in 2019 but beyond that, they can do what they want with their travel program and then I can do what I want with my travel dollars. And I'll rely on my friends at FT to figure out what's best and how to hit higher requirements if they apply. I became a NW Platinum at the age of 26 and kept i from 2000-2004. I can assure you that being DL DM the past 2 years has been way better except for TATL/TPAC award pricing in premium cabins and I can live with that. The benefits are comparatively fantastic.

With that said, I do strongly believe that change fees should be part of MQD. It's pure revenue. I spend $1-2K per year in change fees because of other people's choices and I'm quite sure those are the most profitable dollars I spend with DL. But now I've become the person who is asking them to tailor their program for me so I'll stop
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:54 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Whether we want it or not is irrelevant, either the bar is going to go up or benefits are going to go down. It's inevitable until a major downturn in passenger traffic.
jmgriffin and TheHorta like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I asked kindly for a waiver. I’ll end the year with 247k MQMs and 8k MQDs. My YTD spend on Amex will be about 230k.

Waiver granted.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
No amount of FACTS will work with some. I.E. unless FT CORP contact comes to FT and says YES we are granting wavers - some will keep saying #FAKENEWS .

However, untold numbers who get the "free" (only DMs) waver knows the truth!

Not saying it is a good thing since I earned MQD waver the hard way and will end year about 20k MQD but facts are facts!
Not to be a negative nancy but your blog(and you flew it) used extremely low fares on AeroMexico to capture Diamon in the first month of the year, correct? If so this is considered 'the hard way'?
Renes Points likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Not to be a negative nancy but your blog(and you flew it) used extremely low fares on AeroMexico to capture Diamond in the first month of the year, correct? If so this is considered 'the hard way'?
Harder than simply sending an email and being told: "sure, no problem'o"!

...and it took till April for me to be Diamond for 2019.

Last edited by Renes Points; Nov 20, 2018 at 2:58 pm Reason: (say in head) - "told" not "sold" you idiot!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Not to be a negative nancy but your blog(and you flew it) used extremely low fares on AeroMexico to capture Diamon in the first month of the year, correct? If so this is considered 'the hard way'?
I thought Rene pumped up Amex spend early in the year to get to $250k. Or maybe I'm just remembering the early $25k spend from past years.

I have roughly 20k MQD this year as well but it is all from 006-ticketed and DL-marketed flights (and mostly domestic as well), so... :thumps chest:
Renes Points likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by bdschobel

Bruce
I've always thought that the appropriate threshold for the highest status should be exactly 1 MQM and 1 MQD below what I achieved for the year. It would, of course, change from year to year based on my flights and spending for the calendar year. I'll make my results public on FT just to give you guys a leg up on knowing what to hit.

Harder than simply sending an email and being sold: "sure, no problem'o"!

...and it took till April for me to be Diamond for 2019.
Ah, great, one more blog that I have to read now.

Mike
Renes Points likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
Wait. There are waivers available? Wish I had known this earlier in the year. I would have easily made it to the 125K MQM goal line had I used my AX cards and traveled on Delta as I had during the past five years. When I heard about the $250K spend requirement I moved my spend to my Visa Sapphire card. I now have $5,000 in travel credits and free Priority Pass.

Delta and AX both lost business. I will be PM for the first time in 10 years, and will use those travel credits to purchase FC.
bergamini and Renes Points like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Your post is dripping with irony.
Maybe I'm confused or missing that part? I've never been a proponent of raising qualification thresholds or making cuts etc.

But I do take advantage of FCM where it is advantageous and worth it, and also I utilize DL's very good customer service service when needed.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by captiveguru
Wait. There are waivers available? Wish I had known this earlier in the year. I would have easily made it to the 125K MQM goal line had I used my AX cards and traveled on Delta as I had during the past five years. When I heard about the $250K spend requirement I moved my spend to my Visa Sapphire card. I now have $5,000 in travel credits and free Priority Pass.

Delta and AX both lost business. I will be PM for the first time in 10 years, and will use those travel credits to purchase FC.
Yep. It's not a published benefit by any stretch, but I just asked received. I was no where near the 15k in MQDs. I will likely finish the year with about 220k in Amex spend. Nice to have another year of diamond, but on the day my waiver was granted, I'm now purchasing a better priced AA J seat on the 777. Delta/Alitalia are 2x the price.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Maybe I'm confused or missing that part? I've never been a proponent of raising qualification thresholds or making cuts etc.

But I do take advantage of FCM where it is advantageous and worth it, and also I utilize DL's very good customer service service when needed.

You want qualifications to remain low, because it benefits you personally. You decry the fact that I would like to see qualifications raised because it benefits me.

That's the irony.

(BTW, I'm not trying to be offensive. We're both welcome to our personal opinions, both of which don't amount to the proverbial "hill of beans" )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.