Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by PirateJeff
I have an unscientific survey going on Twitter. ~80% of respondents are either dumping DL or (mostly) changing to a different AMEX card.

I wonder how that compares to the numbers they supposedly crunched?
How many people are that, though, compared to the total number of medallions that will be affected?

Also, it's one thing to mouth off on Twitter, will they actually change their behavior?

This whole thread has been rather amusing. I have PM status on Delta (MQM + Amex waiver) and AA (corporate status match). I do prefer Delta between the schedule as compared to my travel needs, and the service level. If I didn't have status with any airline, I would quite likely continue to fly Delta, for those same reasons.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Can you post the link to the twitter survey? Thanks!
https://tinyurl.com/yde8elx

Last edited by PirateJeff; Sep 29, 2017 at 5:43 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
How many people are that, though, compared to the total number of medallions that will be affected?

Also, it's one thing to mouth off on Twitter, will they actually change their behavior?

This whole thread has been rather amusing. I have PM status on Delta (MQM + Amex waiver) and AA (corporate status match). I do prefer Delta between the schedule as compared to my travel needs, and the service level. If I didn't have status with any airline, I would quite likely continue to fly Delta, for those same reasons.
I'm not that popular on social. It's a super small survey. Strong emphasis on the unscientific

I don't think AMEX will lose out here. Anyone who wants to cancel their DL Reserve will probably go to Platinum.
Nibaruian likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by bergamini
I posted on Twitter that the change benefited me so I agreed with it, and received 6 responses of agreement as well. No PM's lose, some PM's win and even some DM's win so there will be a variety of opinions.

At the end of the day, they are going to keep changing the program and there will be winners and losers and if I become a loser and it's no longer palatable to stay loyal, I won't. For 2018 I will.
It's like any other change the people that will lose out will disagree and the people that win will like it and the people that it won't affect won't care (although PM's who rely on the waiver should care since they could be the group that Delta targets with the next changes).

For me it's going to mean getting $30K more a year in Am Ex spend in which normally wouldn't be a big deal but Hilton is moving to Am Ex on 1/1 and a lot of places don't accept Am Ex and on the years my travel is down I depend on the credit card spend to keep the diamond status. This will really impact people who struggle to get $25k in right now on the Am Ex.

Kind of like the Skyclub changes they made eliminating guesting. I LOVED the change (and wouldn't have minded even more restrictions such as eliminating regular Am Ex Platinum swipes and keeping it to members and the Delta Reserve Am Ex cards like the competition does with their lounges) but people who traveled with families were having a fit over it.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I'm not that popular on social. It's a super small survey. Strong emphasis on the unscientific

I don't think AMEX will lose out here. Anyone who wants to cancel their DL Reserve will probably go to Platinum.
Am Ex probably won't lose much as far as Platinum and lower goes.

But I think they will on Diamonds. If a diamond has the card just for the MQD waiver and can meet Platinum with regular MQD spend why keep the card? And that $25K spend goes away as well. Or for multi cards holders like myself, even if we drop to PM and need the $25k spend why keep multiple cards since the MQM boosts are basically worthless. I'm sure not going to spend $220K a year for 100,000 MQMs if I'm PM with a nice rollover, again those annual fees and transaction fees on those charges are going bye bye for Am Ex.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Yes that would be, but I would doubt that Delta Diamonds are even 1% of the Delta Amex customer base.
This, and probably not many of them taking surveys on Twitter, and even fewer of those following someone who would create/post a survey about a FF program.

Nothing wrong with any of that, just saying that a twitter survey from a FTer's individual account probably doesn't have the most representative sample.

I posted on Twitter that the change benefited me so I agreed with it, and received 6 responses of agreement as well.
Social media: Echo....echo.....echo...

To be clear, at the time I'm posting this, your survey has, literally, 9 total responses. I agree with your strong emphasis.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL -DM, CO - PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
I'd be interested to know how big of a problem this really is. How many people are able to fly 125k miles for less than $15k? They should get diamond as a consolation prize as that would be miserable.
Um. That is me. I do many many many cheap economy tickets for long haul flights around the world.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I'm in pretty much the same boat. I travel for business and personal reasons, but all of my trips, with few exceptions, are known so far in advance (years, sometimes) that I can get very cheap fares. My average cost per mile flown has been less than 10 cents for years and years. It's not that I'm so cheap; I'm just able to plan far ahead, a luxury not available to everybody.

Bruce
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I'm in pretty much the same boat. I travel for business and personal reasons, but all of my trips, with few exceptions, are known so far in advance (years, sometimes) that I can get very cheap fares. My average cost per mile flown has been less than 10 cents for years and years. It's not that I'm so cheap; I'm just able to plan far ahead, a luxury not available to everybody.

Bruce
I don't understand why anyone would be considered cheap for buying the lowest price ticket anyway. If someone knows they are doing a trip and there is a V or X fare available why is it cheap booking it instead of wasting money and buying a B or Y fare.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
This, and probably not many of them taking surveys on Twitter, and even fewer of those following someone who would create/post a survey about a FF program.

Nothing wrong with any of that, just saying that a twitter survey from a FTer's individual account probably doesn't have the most representative sample.

Social media: Echo....echo.....echo...

To be clear, at the time I'm posting this, your survey has, literally, 9 total responses. I agree with your strong emphasis.
Already up to 12 It will be interesting to see the results once more people have participated.

Despite thinking this is probably a poor move for Delta, I'm actually one who would benefit as I'm not far from the $15K MQD organically.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
so people putting $25K a year on their card are doing it for the MQD waiver or people like me who charge huge amounts a year are doing it for the MQM boosts not for the skymiles.
This. Although the skymiles are a nice bonus, if you can actually use them, ha!

Sincerely, unaffected PM (for now)
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:52 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
^
Originally Posted by LBJ
If they are anything like me, there's a reason why you are a low-spend DM -- because you are cheap.

Originally Posted by LBJ
Personally, I don't have anything against the road warriors who earn status the hard way.
Pity yes, jealousy no.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:58 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Based on my current numbers and booked flights, I will end the year at:
250K MQM $7,530 MQD 84 MQS $25K AMEX Waiver
MQM detail: 78K Rollover and 45K AMEX = 123K not flown and ~127K BIS MQM
Here is what DL is telling you in 2018 Dec
250k MQM - 125k for DM in 2017 = rollover 125k MQM for 2018
- It is great that you followed all the rules and have enough rollover to make DM again in 2018, but you are only a PM now for the 2019 yr.

In 2020 - what I do not know - will they rollover MQM above 75k making you a GM with Amex 25k spend or are you a true nobody? as your 125 MQM is used up in 2019 as a (DM-fail-now)PM
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Knowing the likelihood of huge cluster of Platinum Elites in 2019, it won't be long to seeing message like this for Platinums....

We are always looking for ways to improve the Medallion experience by listening to your feedback. Because we want to ensure our most well-traveled Members can take full advantage of all the benefits of Platinum Medallion Status, a change is being made to how Members qualify for 2019 Platinum Medallion Status.
Starting January 1, 2019, the Medallion Qualification Dollar (MQD) Waiver for Platinum Medallion Status is increasing.... It is being adjusted to $100,000 in a calendar year.....but keep in mind that the MQD Waiver to qualify for all of the best-in-class benefits of Gold and Silver Medallion will remain at $25,000....
Jiburi
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1973 Ford Pinto
They get 8 RUCs with one selection. If they use GUCs they are still getting some of that benefit on connecting domestic flights as well.

Also I'll note that the "if someone is doing X they're probably also doing Y" argument is terrible, especially in this case, since we're talking about a lot of gamers.
"Gamers"? rofl

You sound quite salty about it. If the system is put into place and someone follows the rules how are they 'gaming'?

Originally Posted by Nolala
Delta should include the full price of tickets (taxes and fees included) as MQD. Right now, you could spend 15k in tickets but only earn 12k (or even less) in MQD.

Interestingly, this actually penalizes international travelers (with taxes and fuel surcharges) in favor of domestic purchasers (where taxes are far smaller of a portion of the bill).

I'd just set it at 20k or whatever and include the taxes and fees to make it easier on the customer.
This is an interesting thought. If you fly to Asia from US on a 800ish dollar ticket the MQDs are crazy low.

Originally Posted by 1973 Ford Pinto
People who do a bunch of MS to get 100k MQMs...
So people who do smart things that best benefit them? These are the 'gamers' you are talking about.

I posted on Twitter that the change benefited me so I agreed with it, and received 6 responses of agreement as well. No PM's lose, some PM's win and even some DM's win so there will be a variety of opinions.

At the end of the day, they are going to keep changing the program and there will be winners and losers and if I become a loser and it's no longer palatable to stay loyal, I won't. For 2018 I will.
There are very few winners. There are some temporary 'good spots' in locations but no one should pretend this was done with any customer's happiness as part of the end result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.