Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
It took a lot of calls to get through to Delta Corporate Customer Care, but eventually I did two days ago, and I left a message for the agent who had handled my waiver request five or six weeks ago. Never received a call back, but that’s ok because this morning my 2019 Medallion status changed to DM. Thanks to DL for the waiver, and let’s see a more realistic threshold next year than $250k spend.
davetravels likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
It took a lot of calls to get through to Delta Corporate Customer Care, but eventually I did two days ago, and I left a message for the agent who had handled my waiver request five or six weeks ago. Never received a call back, but that’s ok because this morning my 2019 Medallion status changed to DM. Thanks to DL for the waiver, and let’s see a more realistic threshold next year than $250k spend.
What’s more “realistic” for YOU?

$250K is very realistic for me. Heck, $500K is just as realistic. In fact, I’d be happy to see them kill all CC waivers, especially for DM.

The most realistic would be to only give status to those who actually buy tickets and fly the miles.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Got the DM waiver after 2 calls. 2018 was ~220k Amex spending (was over 250k, but had some unexpected returns in Dec) and a canceled tix that also took my MQD under. Was way over on MQM.
jmgriffin likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
If I understand correctly this "waiver" or exception, it can be use only one time.

This mean, the real decrease in number of Diamond medallion will be in 2020, not in 2019 because the new "rules" of 250K (I am right?).
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
If I understand correctly this "waiver" or exception, it can be use only one time.

This mean, the real decrease in number of Diamond medallion will be in 2020, not in 2019 because the new "rules" of 250K (I am right?).
No. Not everybody even knows about the waiver, and it isn't clear that anybody who asks is granted it.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by TheHorta

The most realistic would be to only give status to those who actually buy tickets and fly the miles.
I mean that's silly. They make more money selling miles than they do from many "big spend" passengers.

The most unrealistic would be to only grant status to people that make Delta money. A $250K spender who never flies? Yes! An "always buys last minute biz" flyer? Yes.

Many of the people here? No.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by rogo
I mean that's silly. They make more money selling miles than they do from many "big spend" passengers.

The most unrealistic would be to only grant status to people that make Delta money. A $250K spender who never flies? Yes! An "always buys last minute biz" flyer? Yes.

Well, the sad fact is that Delta will consult neither you nor I when making these decisions. Ironically, if they did, they’d get very divergent feedback. I love the $250K waiver for DM and would even be in favor of a $500K waiver and another tier above DM. As it sits, DM is child’s play to get and isn’t really all that “elite.”

If I cast my vote, $250K waiver for DM is both a very reasonable as well as a modest step in the right direction, though I’d like to see even more of an effort to thin the proverbial herd.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by sethb
No. Not everybody even knows about the waiver, and it isn't clear that anybody who asks is granted it.
If you have at least 125k MQMs and 25k Amex (for 2018) - yes - anyone who asks will get it. It may take a few calls to get a rep to call over to SkyMiles desk - but ANYONE who asks gets it!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:50 am

Well, the sad fact is that Delta will consult neither you nor I when making these decisions. Ironically, if they did, they’d get very divergent feedback. I love the $250K waiver for DM and would even be in favor of a $500K waiver and another tier above DM. As it sits, DM is child’s play to get and isn’t really all that “elite.”

If I cast my vote, $250K waiver for DM is both a very reasonable as well as a modest step in the right direction, though I’d like to see even more of an effort to thin the proverbial herd.
This isn't about whether they will consult us. Of course they won't. It was about what was realistic.

And Delta is pretty focused on making money. So why would they kick out Diamond's with the 250K waiver, when those folks make them money?

That's all I was commenting on the "realistic" nature of

As for the waiver, I don't like it. But I can achieve it. And while it does force me to move $4-5K of real money into Delta spending, I'm not especially upset about that because I would be spending said real money with Delta anyway. And I'd rather be Diamond on those flights for so many reasons. (The Diamond desk totally crushed it for me this week!)
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by rogo

Did you mean most Diamond here are not "profitable" for Delta ?

I pass the 125K MQM & 15K MQD without problem (with mix of Y & J), I "believe" to be profitable for Delta... I am wrong?

I feel the 125K & 15K is quite "reasonable" for a Diamond status... you will place the requirement more high ? (do not forget... Delta must not "lost" to many customers to competition because they put the requirement too high for their highest level...)
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by FBplatinum
Did you mean most Diamond here are not "profitable" for Delta ?
"Many" and "most" are not synonymous.
I pass the 125K MQM & 15K MQD without problem (with mix of Y & J), I "believe" to be profitable for Delta... I am wrong?
I'm sure you're nicely profitable to Delta.
I feel the 125K & 15K is quite "reasonable" for a Diamond status... you will place the requirement more high ? (do not forget... Delta must not "lost" to many customers to competition because they put the requirement too high for their highest level...)
I think the 125/15 is totally fine. I think the 125/250k waiver is fine. What I would personally do differently is let someone slide the scale... 15K paid, 0K spend? Sure. 0K paid, 250K spend? Sure (why though?!? no benefits!). So how about 7.5K paid and 125K spend? Or 5K and 150K spend? Etc. etc.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:51 pm

New $250K MQD Waiver Slashes Diamond Ranks

1) Yes, this is a serious post.

2) This is from a seasoned (15+ years) DM Desk agent, so not a Deep Throat source.

Per this rep (about an hour ago), they emphatically stated that, as a result of the new waiver, DM ranks plummeted from ~60K in 2018 to ~40K for 2019.

*IF* this is true, or reasonably accurate, this is SPECTACULAR news. This is not an insignificant reduction in the ranks.

While it doesn't deter me from stumping for a Double Diamond-like $30K/250K tier, this is a step in the right direction.

Thank you, Delta!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond

2) This is from a seasoned (15+ years) DM Desk agent, so not a Deep Throat source.

Per this rep (about an hour ago), they emphatically stated that, as a result of the new waiver, DM ranks plummeted from ~60K in 2018 to ~40K for 2019.

*IF* this is true, or reasonably accurate, this is SPECTACULAR news. This is not an insignificant reduction in the ranks.

While it doesn't deter me from stumping for a Double Diamond-like $30K/250K tier, this is a step in the right direction.

Thank you, Delta!
I really really hope this is true.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Thank you, Delta!
In the first year of DM, reports were that there were about 40,000 charter DMs.

I wonder how many of those are still DM and have in fact requalified every year. (I'm in that group.)
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:40 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the first year of DM, reports were that there were about 40,000 charter DMs.

I wonder how many of those are still DM and have in fact requalified every year. (I'm in that group.)
I still have my plastic charter member bag tag, and qualified for DM two more years. Then with the advent of GoToMeeting and other tools I cut back my flying. It was a terrible thing to return to “ordinary” status after having a taste of the good life, but I got over it. Now retired, I only fly because I want to and rely on my 2MM GM status to get a few perks. I guess now that half of each plane will no longer be DM it will make getting on a little easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.