Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-VCE Layover and Metal Options

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

LAX-VCE Layover and Metal Options

Hey there! My GF and I are taking a cruise in 2018 RT from Venice, and interested in the Biz Class/ Delta one product, and I have multiple options for Metal and Layovers. Last International trip was direct, so I didn't need to worry about connections. Me and my GF both have GE, and I don't think we'll have any status on DL. Still a bit new here, so let me know if you have any questions. Basically wondering if it were you, which flights would you choose and why.

Outgoing
  • LAX->ATL->VCE - DL Metal - First Class to ATL, DL One to VCE, 1hr 50min layover in ATL, Total travel time 15hr 40min (DL 1215, DL 192)
  • LAX->JFK->VCE - DL Metal - DL One on both flights, 57min or 3hr 12min layover in JFK, Total flight time 15hr or 17hr 15min (DL 471/40, DL 47)

Returning

• VCE->ATL->LAX - DL Metal - DL one to ATL, First to LAX, 2h 5min layover in ATL, Total Travel time 17h 35 min (DL 193, DL 1218)
  • VCE->CDG->LAX - AF Metal - Appears to be AF Biz on all flights, 1hr 50min layover in CDG, Total travel time 15h 20min (AF 1727, DL 8728)
  • VCE->JFK->LAX - DL Metal - DL One on all flights, 1hr 25mn layover in JFK, Total travel time 17hr 30 min (DL 475, DL 425)

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by chadwickx16; Jul 13, 2017 at 6:37 pm Reason: Added Flight Numbers and Formatting
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
LAX-JFK/ATL-VCE is less ideal as the sleeping hours are limited with a transcon to transatlantic. Is the LAX-ATL on a standard domestic F or a DeltaOne equipped craft? I'd still go via JFK as it's guaranteed DeltaOne seat and service. The layover time at ATL is more ideal but 3h12m in a lounge is doable and preferable to the choas that can be ATL.

VCE-CDG-LAX is my preferred option. Plenty of time to do the CDG exit and any vat refund followed by a solid LH flight. That is unless its the only option that doesn't leave at 08:00 in the morning killing your last day in europe.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I actually take the reverse view. I say ATL on the outbound because it gives you a longer flight and therefore more time to sleep on the relatively short East coast TATL.

On the way back I'd only take AF if it's the 777 with BEST seating, if it's on the A380 you'll be on an angle-flat seat. I'd tend to go with JFK on the way back to get D1 the whole way and being all DL metal you should be fine if there are any hiccups unless it's the last flight of the day.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Some points to consider JFK-VCE departs at 21:14 with an 11:30+1 arrival while the ATL-VCE departure is 17:50 with 9:15+1 arrival. ATL is 1 hour longer on the transatlantic but at a less opportune time for people like myself whom can't fall asleep that early. It also means one can depart LAX late morning vs mid morning. Both flights are 767s.

100% agree with you on AF 777 over A380 but would still for the short EU hop to longhaul vs two middish hauls.

Originally Posted by Duke787
I actually take the reverse view. I say ATL on the outbound because it gives you a longer flight and therefore more time to sleep on the relatively short East coast TATL.

On the way back I'd only take AF if it's the 777 with BEST seating, if it's on the A380 you'll be on an angle-flat seat. I'd tend to go with JFK on the way back to get D1 the whole way and being all DL metal you should be fine if there are any hiccups unless it's the last flight of the day.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Some points to consider JFK-VCE departs at 21:14 with an 11:30+1 arrival while the ATL-VCE departure is 17:50 with 9:15+1 arrival. ATL is 1 hour longer on the transatlantic but at a less opportune time for people like myself whom can't fall asleep that early. It also means one can depart LAX late morning vs mid morning. Both flights are 767s.

100% agree with you on AF 777 over A380 but would still for the short EU hop to longhaul vs two middish hauls.
Fair enough on those points.

I think for the OP it's personal preference.

Outbound:

1) Via JFK = shorter flight but later departure plus D1 the whole way. No issues with longer layover since you'll have access to the T4 SC which is quite nice and if it's a nice day can enjoy the outdoor deck for a couple hours with a couple of drinks before the TATL flight.
2) Via ATL = longer TATL flight (so more time to sleep after food service) but earlier departure (which might prevent sleep) and potential no D1 on LAX - ATL (and even if lie-flat metal, no D1 service). Shorter layover but still enough time to go to One Flew South or the F SkyClub if wanted

Return:

1) Via ATL = longer TATL flight and again potential domestic recliner F coming off the TATL flight (and no D1 service even if lie-flat metal)
2) Via JFK = D1 the whole way, somewhat tight connection though should be okay with GE and as long as not last flight of the night will be protected by DL if things go FUBAR
3) Via CDG = intra-EU business class for first leg (aka economy seat + blocked middle seat) but then long TATL flight arriving straight back at home. Potential for inferior J product if A380 or non-BEST 777, but it's a daytime flight so may not be as important to have the lie-flat.

Depends what the OP's preferences are in terms of picking out a combination from that. Pluses and minuses to all. What time of year? ATL you subject yourself to potential summer storms but otherwise should be pretty decent, JFK is JFK and well things can go sideways any time of year with a little hiccup though being on a D1 flight connecting to a TATL means less chance of cancellation since those flights tend to have higher priority if things get delayed.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:12 am

Solid summation @Duke787.

The AF flight does look at like an 8AM or 10AM departure from VCE or a late afternoon with an overnight stay in Paris before departing CDG-LAX which may be less ideal.

Personally I'd take the overnight in Paris and the 13:10 flight to LAX on the 777.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all! THis information is great!

After reading all of your advice, it seems I might be better suited flying in a day early and being able to utilize the AF 777 in Biz with the full flat seats. This way I can have the LONG Haul and then a 2 hr jaunt to Venice.

Another option would be KLM New World Business, but I haven't heard great things...

How long would you estimate in CDG for Customs? Looking online they have my connection as 1hr 10 minutes, which seems EXTREMLY tight. Would I be expedited to my second flight and go through customs in Venice?

Once again, thanks to you all for the advice.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:19 pm

I wouldn't do any connection under 2h30m at CDG.
Doubtful and no to the other two questions.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we send this to the DL forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by chadwickx16
Hey there! My GF and I are taking a cruise in 2018 RT from Venice, and interested in the Biz Class/ Delta one product, and I have multiple options for Metal and Layovers. Last International trip was direct, so I didn't need to worry about connections. Me and my GF both have GE, and I don't think we'll have any status on DL. Still a bit new here, so let me know if you have any questions. Basically wondering if it were you, which flights would you choose and why.

Outgoing
  • LAX->ATL->VCE - DL Metal - First Class to ATL, DL One to VCE, 1hr 50min layover in ATL, Total travel time 15hr 40min (DL 1215, DL 192)
  • LAX->JFK->VCE - DL Metal - DL One on both flights, 57min or 3hr 12min layover in JFK, Total flight time 15hr or 17hr 15min (DL 471/40, DL 47)

Returning
Equipment (aircraft type) is a factor, which you didn't list. I'm guessing the TATL options will be an A330 or a 767. The A330 is generally the preferred option by most on here for the better seating. Equipment aside, one plus to going via ATL is that ATL-VCE will be slightly longer giving you more time to sleep, though what time the flight departs could also be a factor. And going via JFK and having D1 on the transcon versus a standard domestic FC seat on a 737 or 757 may be worth it to go via JFK over the slightly longer TATL flight via ATL.

• VCE->ATL->LAX - DL Metal - DL one to ATL, First to LAX, 2h 5min layover in ATL, Total Travel time 17h 35 min (DL 193, DL 1218)
  • VCE->CDG->LAX - AF Metal - Appears to be AF Biz on all flights, 1hr 50min layover in CDG, Total travel time 15h 20min (AF 1727, DL 8728)
  • VCE->JFK->LAX - DL Metal - DL One on all flights, 1hr 25mn layover in JFK, Total travel time 17hr 30 min (DL 475, DL 425)

Thanks for your help!
I would go via JFK here for D1 the whole way or do AF via CDG. I flew AF in Business last year (CDG-SFO) on the A380 and really enjoyed it. I think the meals and service are better than what you'll get on DL metal tho opinions may vary there. Some here will recommend away from AF for the seating, but if you're with a travel companion, the 2-2-2 seating on the A380 might be less of an issue than if you were traveling solo. And as it's a daytime flight, I found the "angled lie-flat" still more than adequate for resting/relaxing.

Of course, as going on strike is the national sport of France, AF can be highly impacted by strikes, so something to consider. On the same trip we were impacted by Air France strikes on our way to Paris from Berlin.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Outgoing

Returning

Thanks for your help!
Of those options, outbound I'd go through JFK on DL40, which is an A330.

Return it depends on what seat your AF plane has. However to LAX I prefer taking AF/KL direct from Europe. KLM is rolling out a la carte dining (currently, only on JNB flight, but will expand), no promise it'll be on LAX flights by your dates.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice and recommendations. We chose to fly in a day early to utilize the AF BEST layout in Biz Class. This allows us to have an actual Longhaul flight, stopping in CDG from a 4 hr layover with club access.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The JFK option on the return is not a legal connection at 1:25 to the best of my knowledge.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
If you have no status, why are you limiting yourself to Delta?

Not knowing your dates or budget, here's what I would consider:

1. LAX-FCO on Alitalia 621 and FCO-VCE on Alitalia 1475; VCE-CDG on Air France 1127 and CDG-LAX on Air France 72.

2. LAX-CDG on Air France 77 and CDG-VCE on Air France 1526; VCE-CDG on Air France 1327 and CDG-LAX on Air France 72.

2. (tie) LAX-CDG on Air France 77 and CDG-VCE on Air France 1526; VCE-AMS on KLM 1652, AMS-CDG on KLM 1243, and CDG-LAX on Air France 76.

3. LAX-ZRH on Swiss 41 and ZRH-VCE on Swiss 1664; VCE-VIE on Austrian 528 and VIE-LAX on Austrian 81.

4. LAX-LHR on Air New Zealand 2 and LHR-VCE on British Airways 598; VCE-LHR on British Airways 579 and LHR-LAX on Air New Zealand 1.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If you have no status, why are you limiting yourself to Delta?
Even though I have no status on the three lines I was asking about, my TA was running about 30% cheaper than retail on these flights, basically got Biz for the price of premium economy. That's the only reason why I was limiting the flight options.

Thank you for your help on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.