Wiki Posts
Search

EU-US no OLCI?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
EU-US no OLCI?

Apologies if I missed a thread on this--I just attempted to check in for a DL (DL metal, DL ticket) flight from Europe to NYC, and it's telling me that "government regulations" prohibit an OLCI.

Is this new? I flew (DL ticket but ST metal) inter-EU last week, and definitely could OLCI.

Expert Flyer shows Y9, for what it's worth.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: Skymiles GM
You should be able to, but you might also be sign of some security change, etc. with what DHS has been doing.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:32 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Sounds like you got SSSSed. Expect a bit of additional screening.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by ryanm
Apologies if I missed a thread on this--I just attempted to check in for a DL (DL metal, DL ticket) flight from Europe to NYC, and it's telling me that "government regulations" prohibit an OLCI.

Is this new? I flew (DL ticket but ST metal) inter-EU last week, and definitely could OLCI.

I have always been able to OLCI in Europe. If your flight is with Air France on a Delta Codeshare then checkin with Air France(even if its on Delta Air France operates the checkin in Europe). I have been forwarded automatically from DL.com to the Air France checkin portal when checking in on a Delta flight as AF operates the technical operations for Delta in Europe. The same for Alitalia and other partners.

If you are having problems try going to AF.com and enter your Delta PNR and you should be able to checkin. If not you should allow enough time to checkin and yes you may have been selected for extra security screening.

I remember checking my Mother in for a Virgin Atlantic flight SFO-LHR on Delta.com as it was a Delta issued ticket and was forwarded automatically to the Virgin Atlantic Checkin Portal so I assume if I went to the Virgin Portal my Delta issued PNR would work as it does on Air France.

When I enter my Delta PNR on Air France it pulls it up as the systems are connected. For my upcoming Air France fight I will just check in on the Air France side to make it easier as anyways Delta.com would just automatically forward me there anyways.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
For flights departing CDG or AMS (Handled by AF/KL), from time to time there is a glitch that prevents me to check-in. It doesn't have to do with SSSS, it's just AF system not receiving the information complete.

You will need to check-in at the airport.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by danielonn
I have always been able to OLCI in Europe. If your flight is with Air France on a Delta Codeshare then checkin with Air France(even if its on Delta Air France operates the checkin in Europe).
Only at CDG and AMS.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Only at CDG and AMS.
Doesn't KLM handle the check in exAMS? They're really different airlines with different websites for OLCI.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ryanm

Is it for a flight from AMS or CDG? Also its 24hrs prior, not 30 like for AF/KLM.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doesn't KLM handle the check in exAMS? They're really different airlines with different websites for OLCI.
When it comes to check-in, It's the exact same system. Only a different color layout and front end.

You can go to KLM.com and check-in for an AF flight with no issues and vice versa.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Is it for a flight from AMS or CDG? Also its 24hrs prior, not 30 like for AF/KLM.
If the flight is operated by DL but departing from CDG or AMS, OLCI actually starts 30 hours before and not the usual 24. Give it a try next time you depart from one of these destinations on a DL flight and you will see.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the flight is operated by DL but departing from CDG or AMS, OLCI actually starts 30 hours before and not the usual 24. Give it a try next time you depart from one of these destinations on a DL flight and you will see.
Yes, and if your itinerary starts with AF or from CDG, delta.dumb will take you to the AF website while if you start from AMS or with a KLM flight, clicking will direct you to the KLM website, where you will print a single boarding pass for all of your flights. It's also shows your DL status and not just either SkyTeam Elite or ElitePlus.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Sorry, messed up. I asked about AMS/CDG because i knew they were different from DL standard checkin for rest of Europe on DL.

Can checkin using AF or KLM regardless of which flying or for DL regardless of if flying from AMS/CDG. I find minor differences make the AF prefered.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jul 12, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
The same thing happened to me about a week ago. I was flying United, CPH-AMS-IAD. This was the first time that it has ever happened to me.

The first leg was on SAS. The gate agent in AMS told me that we were flagged because my daughters birthday did not match up. Not ssss, but,

M/D/Y vs D/M/Y
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:23 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Today I successfully checked in via the app for ZRH-JFK-LAX. I am a US passport holder.

I have never been able to OLCI departing AMS, never departed CDG.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Thanks, all, for the replies.

It remains a bit of a mystery. I got to the airport (TXL) early, in case there were issues, but there weren't any--and no secondary screening was noted on my BP.

I'd thought that, perhaps, this was caused by my getting a new passport (and the DL site says it needs to be "verified" at the airport). But on my outbound, to TXL, I was able to OLCI, so had already used the new passport for intl travel on DL (as well as KLM and AF) with no issues.

I asked the agent at TXL if this flag was showing up in his system, and he said no. And that there was nothing he could do to get rid of the flag since he didn't see it anyway; he also said he'd never heard of a DL pax not being able to OLCI for a DL flight ticketed and operated by DL, much less due to "governmental regulations," which is what DL.com told me.

So still a bit of a mystery, though I suppose no harm done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.