Wiki Posts
Search

777 Delta One - 1D or 12D

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA
777 Delta One - 1D or 12D

Have reviewed the appropriate seating threads but was looking for a more subjective opinion... Would you take 1D or 12D on the 777? Flying the ultra long ATL-JNB in a few days and that's whats available at the moment.

Luckily snagged 7A for the return flight...

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nw6338
Have reviewed the appropriate seating threads but was looking for a more subjective opinion... Would you take 1D or 12D on the 777? Flying the ultra long ATL-JNB in a few days and that's whats available at the moment.

Luckily snagged 7A for the return flight...

Thanks in advance!
If i remember 12D has a little extra room to store stuff. Theres no wall from the seat behind. Thus there's some space between the seat and bulkhead.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
For FEBO, the flight number ATL-JNB is 200. So 1D should give you better options for meal service.

Does DL have bassinet positions for the first row of Economy (well it's Comfort Plus) right behind where 12D is. That could be a factor too.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
For FEBO, the flight number ATL-JNB is 200. So 1D should give you better options for meal service.

Does DL have bassinet positions for the first row of Economy (well it's Comfort Plus) right behind where 12D is. That could be a factor too.
On international D1 777 flights normally they go back to front, left to right. FEBO I haven't seen used on international long hauls in ages. Note sometimes they'll take the C seats order along with A/Bs if B and C are together. Same for 767 and A330 (different seat letters of course). A330 though they serve from back to front, due to location of galley.

Some will take orders by status instead, jumping around the cabin.

Really hope the preselect your meal test works out. Its one of the few things i miss when not on AA.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Haven't sat in the mini cabin before so unsure about the bassinet position. That was one of my primary concerns...
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Isn't there an option now to pre-select your meal online? Or has that not rolled out yet?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by javabytes
Isn't there an option now to pre-select your meal online? Or has that not rolled out yet?
You can pre-select meal in D1. I always do it.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I flew in 1D once and quite definitely noticed the crew in the galley, the curtain was not a full blackout. It was not a big deal, but in otherwise near identical seats I would avoid it in preference to "vanilla" A/D seat.

I thought 12A/D were the same physical seats as 7A/D, the diff is 12 is closer to Y peasants.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Good to know. I hadn't been back to the mini cabin but I assumed row 12 was comparable to row 7.

I've flown 1D on the 777 before actually but it was a relatively short hop from ATL-LAX. I noticed quite a bit of crew movement then too.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MonAmQB
You can pre-select meal in D1. I always do it.
Huh? How/where/when can you do this? AFAIK it was a relatively new option and only being tested for certain routes/flights. I wouldn't think it's been around long or reliably enough for anyone to "always do it."
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Don't see any way to select my meal on the manage my reservation page for this flight specifically. I'd imagine pre-selecting a meal out of JNB is unlikely...
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gooselee
Huh? How/where/when can you do this? AFAIK it was a relatively new option and only being tested for certain routes/flights. I wouldn't think it's been around long or reliably enough for anyone to "always do it."
Currently, only possible on flights to NRT/ICN/China if you want the Japanese/Korean/Chinese meal selection.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by BenA
Currently, only possible on flights to NRT/ICN/China if you want the Japanese/Korean/Chinese meal selection.
That is also my understanding. Precious poster's reference to "always" preselecting in a thread about ATL-JNB could be read as the pre-order program described here having gone live (which it has not AFAIK): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1754931-delta-soon-allow-1st-class-d1-preselect-meal-choice-booking.html
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:18 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

For Delta One flights, they stock quite a few more meals than there are passengers in the cabin, unlike in domestic first where there are exactly as many meals as passengers. So in domestic first the last passenger to order by definition does not get any meal choice. But in D1 even if you are last to order you almost always still have a choice, and usually still have your choice of anything on the menu. So it's not particularly critical to sit somewhere just to get your meal order taken first. In having sat all over the cabin and had my order taken at all sorts of points in the process, I've never not gotten my first meal choice in D1. (The exception to this is Japan flights where the Japanese meals seem to be catered scarcely and do tend to run out, but those can be ordered in advance so not such a big deal.)

Anyway personally I would take 12D because, as others have noted, you have a bit more storage space next to the seat (similar to what you have at 7A in the other direction, which is part of what makes 7A so appealing).
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, MM United MM, Marriott P for life
Typically what I have seen is after you are settled in your seat the FA gives you a menu to look at for a short time then comes back and takes your order. That generally means it is whoever boards first that gets to select first. Remember that in some cites D1 boarding can begin over an hour before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.