Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta.com always showing "Upgrade Available"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta.com always showing "Upgrade Available"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Angry Delta.com always showing "Upgrade Available"

For the past 1-2 weeks, every Delta flight has shown "upgrade available" on delta.com. I spoke to the Medallion line and they don't know what's going on except that it might be related to the fact that the Web site also started trying to get people to pay to upgrade to first (for more than the fare difference) when you view your reservation.

I'm surprised not to have seen anyone posting on this yet, except for a mention on the master delta.com technology issues thread. Has nobody else run into this?

It's a MAJOR inconvenience for me not to know what flights have upgrade space. Is there any workaround?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:38 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
This has been discussed in numerous threads, although I don't think it has it's own yet, so it's good to have one now.

The laborious workaround is to, within the upgrade window, book the flights you want and see if you're instantly upgraded. If not, risk-free cancel and try again.

There has been a huge amount of tin-foil-hattery surrounding the seat-map and FCM changes, some of it rational and some less so. That said, I think that taking away the upgrade inventory information could have a significant upside for Delta. Those who really want First will be more likely to buy it outright within the upgrade window if they can't see that upgrade inventory is available.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Has it been confirmed that this is an intentional change and not an IT glitch? Basically the Web site is lying to everyone right now.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:00 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Hammer1
Has it been confirmed that this is an intentional change and not an IT glitch? Basically the Web site is lying to everyone right now.
Delta doesn't make a practice of declaring such things.

Let the speculation begin!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Not a frequent Delta flyer, so not sure if this is related. Purchased two Delta transatlantic tickets today in cattle class. When I had committed to buy, up popped the “Upgrade Available” to Delta Comfort. The price was reasonable-- €94 per leg, per PAX. I checked Delta.com and the price booking directly into Delta Comfort (r/t) was €464 more than the basic ticket I bought. Thus, for taking my chances, I saved €276 per passenger. Is this standard on Delta? Moreover, Delta shows you the open seats in each class before you book, so if many / several Delta Comfort seats are open on a flight, fairly close to departure, is it logical to strategize: buy straight cattle class and hope the upgrade cost is reasonably low?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
I think "Upgrade Available" just means you're eligible for an upgrade, right? So basically domestic versus Delta One.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jamiestr
I think "Upgrade Available" just means you're eligible for an upgrade, right? So basically domestic versus Delta One.
No, its suppose to say UG Eligible and UG Available when you enter your medallion window if RU, OU space is available.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:30 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

We are aware of a current display issue within delta.com and the Fly Delta app where “Upgrade Available” is showing regardless of whether you are within your clearance window or upgrades are available for that particular flight. This is a display issue only, and does not have any impact on your upgrade eligibility. We are working diligently to correct these issues as quickly as possible, but do not have an estimated completion date to share at this time. In the meantime, you can view route eligibility and upgrade clearance windows at delta.com/complimentaryupgrades at any time. We appreciate your patience.
RobertS975 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam
We are aware of a current display issue within delta.com and the Fly Delta app where “Upgrade Available” is showing regardless of whether you are within your clearance window or upgrades are available for that particular flight. This is a display issue only, and does not have any impact on your upgrade eligibility. We are working diligently to correct these issues as quickly as possible, but do not have an estimated completion date to share at this time. In the meantime, you can view route eligibility and upgrade clearance windows at delta.com/complimentaryupgrades at any time. We appreciate your patience.
I had a felling that this was just a glitch as I was looking at a flight coded as J but is just a normal domestic flight and instead of saying "Not UG Eligible" it said "Not UG Avalible".
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Glad to see that a DL rep is monitoring the boards and making occasional status posts

It was useful if you wanted to buy a flight weeks/months out and use miles to upgrade, since I thought it indicated there was space available if it said.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
Glad to see that a DL rep is monitoring the boards and making occasional status posts

It was useful if you wanted to buy a flight weeks/months out and use miles to upgrade, since I thought it indicated there was space available if it said.
No, only indicates or is supposed to, if medallion upgrades are available.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No, only indicates or is supposed to, if medallion upgrades are available.
Yep, with DL you always have to call to ask about instrument supported upgrade space, although PMNW's website let you see the availability on line.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Those of us that fly all the time use it to know if an immediate RUC is available. To the SkyMilesTeam poster, please educate the Diamond Line agents that this is the case. When I explained it tonight, she said it never has meant that which is completely untrue. On domestic, UG Available meant RUC space was there. UG Eligible means that you could clear in the window and/or be waitlisted for the RUC.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by orr333
Those of us that fly all the time use it to know if an immediate RUC is available. To the SkyMilesTeam poster, please educate the Diamond Line agents that this is the case. When I explained it tonight, she said it never has meant that which is completely untrue. On domestic, UG Available meant RUC space was there. UG Eligible means that you could clear in the window and/or be waitlisted for the RUC.
Not true. Its never meant RUC space is available. RUC uses RY/OY and free upgrades use RU/OU. Now a lot of times if RU/OU is available then so is RY/OY (used to be RP/OP). However this is not guaranteed.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Trying to book flights this morning and now I don't even have an "Upgrade Eligibility" link to click on at all. Nowhere to be seen on either the flight selection screens or the booking/passenger info/payment screens...

Yes, I'm logged in. Even tried logging out and back in again to no avail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.