Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta.com always showing "Upgrade Available"

Delta.com always showing "Upgrade Available"

Old Jun 29, 17, 3:33 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 33
Angry Delta.com always showing "Upgrade Available"

For the past 1-2 weeks, every Delta flight has shown "upgrade available" on delta.com. I spoke to the Medallion line and they don't know what's going on except that it might be related to the fact that the Web site also started trying to get people to pay to upgrade to first (for more than the fare difference) when you view your reservation.

I'm surprised not to have seen anyone posting on this yet, except for a mention on the master delta.com technology issues thread. Has nobody else run into this?

It's a MAJOR inconvenience for me not to know what flights have upgrade space. Is there any workaround?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Hammer1 is offline  
Old Jun 29, 17, 3:38 pm
  #2  
C W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
This has been discussed in numerous threads, although I don't think it has it's own yet, so it's good to have one now.

The laborious workaround is to, within the upgrade window, book the flights you want and see if you're instantly upgraded. If not, risk-free cancel and try again.

There has been a huge amount of tin-foil-hattery surrounding the seat-map and FCM changes, some of it rational and some less so. That said, I think that taking away the upgrade inventory information could have a significant upside for Delta. Those who really want First will be more likely to buy it outright within the upgrade window if they can't see that upgrade inventory is available.
C W is offline  
Old Jun 29, 17, 3:40 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 33
Has it been confirmed that this is an intentional change and not an IT glitch? Basically the Web site is lying to everyone right now.
Hammer1 is offline  
Old Jun 29, 17, 4:00 pm
  #4  
C W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
Originally Posted by Hammer1 View Post
Has it been confirmed that this is an intentional change and not an IT glitch? Basically the Web site is lying to everyone right now.
Delta doesn't make a practice of declaring such things.

Let the speculation begin!
C W is offline  
Old Jun 30, 17, 4:13 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,183
Not a frequent Delta flyer, so not sure if this is related. Purchased two Delta transatlantic tickets today in cattle class. When I had committed to buy, up popped the “Upgrade Available” to Delta Comfort. The price was reasonable-- €94 per leg, per PAX. I checked Delta.com and the price booking directly into Delta Comfort (r/t) was €464 more than the basic ticket I bought. Thus, for taking my chances, I saved €276 per passenger. Is this standard on Delta? Moreover, Delta shows you the open seats in each class before you book, so if many / several Delta Comfort seats are open on a flight, fairly close to departure, is it logical to strategize: buy straight cattle class and hope the upgrade cost is reasonably low?
spainflyer is offline  
Old Jul 1, 17, 12:40 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: Skymiles GM
Posts: 191
I think "Upgrade Available" just means you're eligible for an upgrade, right? So basically domestic versus Delta One.
jamiestr is offline  
Old Jul 1, 17, 1:58 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: St. Cloud, FL
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 2,266
Originally Posted by jamiestr View Post
I think "Upgrade Available" just means you're eligible for an upgrade, right? So basically domestic versus Delta One.
No, its suppose to say UG Eligible and UG Available when you enter your medallion window if RU, OU space is available.
MCO Flyer is offline  
Old Jul 6, 17, 12:30 pm
  #8  
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 82
We are aware of a current display issue within delta.com and the Fly Delta app where “Upgrade Available” is showing regardless of whether you are within your clearance window or upgrades are available for that particular flight. This is a display issue only, and does not have any impact on your upgrade eligibility. We are working diligently to correct these issues as quickly as possible, but do not have an estimated completion date to share at this time. In the meantime, you can view route eligibility and upgrade clearance windows at delta.com/complimentaryupgrades at any time. We appreciate your patience.
SkyMilesTeam is offline  
Old Jul 6, 17, 12:41 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: St. Cloud, FL
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 2,266
Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam View Post
We are aware of a current display issue within delta.com and the Fly Delta app where “Upgrade Available” is showing regardless of whether you are within your clearance window or upgrades are available for that particular flight. This is a display issue only, and does not have any impact on your upgrade eligibility. We are working diligently to correct these issues as quickly as possible, but do not have an estimated completion date to share at this time. In the meantime, you can view route eligibility and upgrade clearance windows at delta.com/complimentaryupgrades at any time. We appreciate your patience.
I had a felling that this was just a glitch as I was looking at a flight coded as J but is just a normal domestic flight and instead of saying "Not UG Eligible" it said "Not UG Avalible".
MCO Flyer is offline  
Old Jul 6, 17, 1:10 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,212
Glad to see that a DL rep is monitoring the boards and making occasional status posts

It was useful if you wanted to buy a flight weeks/months out and use miles to upgrade, since I thought it indicated there was space available if it said.
rylan is offline  
Old Jul 6, 17, 3:34 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,786
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Glad to see that a DL rep is monitoring the boards and making occasional status posts

It was useful if you wanted to buy a flight weeks/months out and use miles to upgrade, since I thought it indicated there was space available if it said.
No, only indicates or is supposed to, if medallion upgrades are available.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jul 6, 17, 4:12 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 87,688
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
No, only indicates or is supposed to, if medallion upgrades are available.
Yep, with DL you always have to call to ask about instrument supported upgrade space, although PMNW's website let you see the availability on line.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jul 6, 17, 8:34 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western Wisconsin
Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Posts: 795
Those of us that fly all the time use it to know if an immediate RUC is available. To the SkyMilesTeam poster, please educate the Diamond Line agents that this is the case. When I explained it tonight, she said it never has meant that which is completely untrue. On domestic, UG Available meant RUC space was there. UG Eligible means that you could clear in the window and/or be waitlisted for the RUC.
orr333 is offline  
Old Jul 6, 17, 10:00 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,786
Originally Posted by orr333 View Post
Those of us that fly all the time use it to know if an immediate RUC is available. To the SkyMilesTeam poster, please educate the Diamond Line agents that this is the case. When I explained it tonight, she said it never has meant that which is completely untrue. On domestic, UG Available meant RUC space was there. UG Eligible means that you could clear in the window and/or be waitlisted for the RUC.
Not true. Its never meant RUC space is available. RUC uses RY/OY and free upgrades use RU/OU. Now a lot of times if RU/OU is available then so is RY/OY (used to be RP/OP). However this is not guaranteed.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jul 7, 17, 8:00 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 10,238
Trying to book flights this morning and now I don't even have an "Upgrade Eligibility" link to click on at all. Nowhere to be seen on either the flight selection screens or the booking/passenger info/payment screens...

Yes, I'm logged in. Even tried logging out and back in again to no avail.
gooselee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: