Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Gave Away My Assigned Seats

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Delta Gave Away My Assigned Seats

Flying 5963 tomorrow am. It's two of us.

Reserved our flight two months ago and selected 11 C&D.

Checked flight last week and all was well.

While checking in this morning I saw Delta moved us to 12D, 13C.

All other seats are taken except for the beloved EC ... Delta doesn't think we deserve to be moved into those seats without payment even after their random re-assignment. And they have no explanation for the random re-assignment and I really doubt it's a FAM (no, aircraft was not changed.)

I understand why there is a charge for EC and all of that good stuff ... but Delta could have handled this with more empathy.

Yes I fully understand seat assignments are not guaranteed ... but at the same time I feel like I got kicked out of my seats for no other reason but some other customer who some agent probably found to be of higher importance than us.

In other words ... Not nice! Not happy!

And no, I have no status with Delta. And this shenanigan serves as a reminder why I rarely fly with them.

/rant over
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Feel better?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Feel better?
Yes ... thank you!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
I wonder how often this happens...

It has only happened to me once. Years ago Delta called and told me they needed to move me from 4B to 3C. I asked why, they said they could not tell me. I asked if they would move my wife, who was in 4A to 3A. I guess we were on separate records. They said yes.

The guy who got 4B looked like an air marshall to us. He boarded early, before all pre-boards.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
well, at least it's an E175 so you didn't end up in middles.

i haven't experienced this with Delta before, but plenty of times with UA and AA.

hopefully 12C or 13D will be willing to make a switch. otherwise, this seems to be LGA-ORD which is a fairly survivable flight to be separated from someone who is not a conjoined twin.

maybe you'll get a nice FCM offer.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
I had this happen to me last week. Several months ago, I booked a flight, paying a 20% up-charge from Basic Economy to Main Cabin so I could select a seat and, ideally, board early enough to find bin space. At T-24, my reserved seat turned to a seat request card and a position 18 of 25 on the standby list. No equipment swap, no explaination (and my original seat was nowhere a FAM would ever typically sit). Ticket counter told me to see a gate agent. Gate agent told me to wait until 15 minutes prior to boarding, at which time the gate desk was unstaffed. I ended up with a seat assignment 10 minutes into boarding, told to board last with all the E fares. It was exactly as if I had booked an E fare in the first place. Feels like a bait and switch, or at very least a failure to meet bare minimum customer service standards.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by TravelBrighter
I had this happen to me last week. Several months ago, I booked a flight, paying a 20% up-charge from Basic Economy to Main Cabin so I could select a seat and, ideally, board early enough to find bin space. At T-24, my reserved seat turned to a seat request card and a position 18 of 25 on the standby list. No equipment swap, no explaination (and my original seat was nowhere a FAM would ever typically sit). Ticket counter told me to see a gate agent. Gate agent told me to wait until 15 minutes prior to boarding, at which time the gate desk was unstaffed. I ended up with a seat assignment 10 minutes into boarding, told to board last with all the E fares. It was exactly as if I had booked an E fare in the first place. Feels like a bait and switch, or at very least a failure to meet bare minimum customer service standards.
now this one i would report to DL and ask for an investigation and a refund of the difference between the E and main cabin fare
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:40 pm

Last two trips I've had my assigned seat moved on 1 segment. This last one, both my daughter and I were moved to middle seats

It typically happens to me at least once a year. About half the times it involves some irrop issue. I've had it happen in first/biz, C+ and Main Cabin.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Well I called Delta and the (very empathetic) agent unblocked Row 20 C,D (last row) and put us there ... you win some ... you dim some! Yes it's a short flight and no harm in sitting apart from one another, but because I'm a big guy I only fly economy when I'm with a family member ... so while I feel it is perfectly OK to squash my family members ... I find it kind of rude to do it to strangers.

Last row ... here I come!

PS- Agent first didn't know how/why this reassignment happened but self-offered a vague explanation at the end ... 'aircraft change' ... I don't know that much about Delta but I think they only fly one kind of 175 ! I could be wrong, I guess.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL: PM/2MM; MHG; HH;
I feel the same way you do. Something similar happened to us but I thought I had status. But today, it's not loyalty or status, it's how much did you pay for your ticket. All passengers NOT BEING EQUAL.

And for you flame-throwers, let it happen to you and see how it feels. I asked all of the phone agents to switch places with me (my issue was much more than just lost seat assignments) and tell me how they would feel. One was truthful and said they would be angry and the others refused to answer the question. Pleading the 5th???
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Status counts IMHO.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Well I called Delta and the (very empathetic) agent unblocked Row 20 C,D (last row) and put us there ... you win some ... you dim some! Yes it's a short flight and no harm in sitting apart from one another, but because I'm a big guy I only fly economy when I'm with a family member ... so while I feel it is perfectly OK to squash my family members ... I find it kind of rude to do it to strangers.

Last row ... here I come!

PS- Agent first didn't know how/why this reassignment happened but self-offered a vague explanation at the end ... 'aircraft change' ... I don't know that much about Delta but I think they only fly one kind of 175 ! I could be wrong, I guess.
Just because there's only one configuration of that aircraft doesn't mean you won't be booted from your seats - I believe even just a tail swap does that as well (but I am not sure of that).
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: none
GOIGOWYL (Get Over It and Get On With Your Life)

There are enough legitimate thing to worry about without bringing up fake outrage.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Status counts IMHO.
And Delta is a cash slut.
Bad combo for those with no status.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allan38103
GOIGOWYL (Get Over It and Get On With Your Life)

There are enough legitimate thing to worry about without bringing up fake outrage.
I'll be over it once I pass by row 11 and shed a tear! Thanks for your support!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.