Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta "Sale" to Asia & Australia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
This is very, very shady and deceptive. I wouldn't be surprised if someone could sue Delta for false advertising because Delta does not offer "Delta One" -- its flagship international business-class product -- on flights from Guam and elsewhere in Micronesia, as advertised at: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ml?icid=AsiaFS and https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ml?icid=AsiaFS.
Technically you have to go through NRT, thus it is D1.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

I have now spent some more time searching, and I have yet to find a flight that is priced better than I could have found before the "sale". I won't go quite as far as some previous posters to claim there might be a legal claim for false advertising, but I would definitely say this "sale" is modest at best. Please wake me when there is a real sale, as there was earlier this year on flights to Europe.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by LBJ
If you look at the specific cities and fares listed, you will see there are specific fare filings and the fares are discounted compared to other dates. Note you have to be careful to meet all the requirements when checking fares (7/10 day stay, Mon-Thu departure, etc.). I suspect some people don't carefully read the T&C's when checking prices. The question is whether there are also discounted fares from all or some other cities in addition to those listed. I can see how this might be implied, but I don't really see an explicit claim that is true.
If I recall Men's Wearhouse or Joseph A. Bank were sued a few years back in New York because the state's attorney general claimed you couldn't call it a "sale" if you never sold the item in question at regular price. That is, if it's perpetually on sale it isn't "on sale." It would be interesting to know how that applies to airfare, which, umm, is always on sale.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Technically you have to go through NRT, thus it is D1.
It specifically says: "GUAM DELTA ONE® FLIGHTS."

There are no Delta One flights from Guam.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ProfRB
I have now spent some more time searching, and I have yet to find a flight that is priced better than I could have found before the "sale". I won't go quite as far as some previous posters to claim there might be a legal claim for false advertising, but I would definitely say this "sale" is modest at best. Please wake me when there is a real sale, as there was earlier this year on flights to Europe.
The economy-class airfares from Manila and Singapore are pretty good, but I don't know what the average airfare to the United States originating in southeast Asia is compared to the average airfare from the United States to southeast Asia. Right now, you can get Chicago-Manila in economy-class for $600-$800. That's pretty darn good.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It specifically says: "GUAM DELTA ONE® FLIGHTS."

There are no Delta One flights from Guam.
I get that. However one has to purchase a D1 ticket to get to Guam. There is no FC fare to Guam.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I get that. However one has to purchase a D1 ticket to get to Guam. There is no FC fare to Guam.
The sale isn't for "Delta One flights to" Guam. It is for "Delta One flights FROM" Guam.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ProfRB
Those existing $800 fares out of CMH and DAY to Asia are likely not even covering DL's costs when you consider the stage lengths involved. It's basically the equivalent of a $500 fare to Europe. You may see such $500 fares to Europe every once in awhile, but they are hardly the norm. Bottomline, yields to Asia are clearly no where near as good as to Europe and this has been the case for some time. Is it really that surprising they are being selective in the sale and not offering discounts on routes where the fares are already very cheap?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
The day they announced this sale the tickets I've been monitoring from JFK-KIX for November increased in price by about 30%.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

The sale isn't for "Delta One flights to" Guam. It is for "Delta One flights FROM" Guam.
It doesn't matter, the direction. You still have to go through NRT, thus is a D1 fare. Im still flying D1 when i buy SAT-SIN, even though SAT-DTW isnt D1.

If Guam flights went through HNL instead, then yes it wouldnt be D1.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
Those existing $800 fares out of CMH and DAY to Asia are likely not even covering DL's costs when you consider the stage lengths involved. It's basically the equivalent of a $500 fare to Europe. You may see such $500 fares to Europe every once in awhile, but they are hardly the norm. Bottomline, yields to Asia are clearly no where near as good as to Europe and this has been the case for some time. Is it really that surprising they are being selective in the sale and not offering discounts on routes where the fares are already very cheap?

About a month or two ago, Bloomberg had a report that connected the revenue from the credit card deals of airlines, which has an extremely high margin to the net income. They are nearly identical. Airlines, on average, still only breakeven on their flights. The profit comes from the credit card deals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.