Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mystery Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Mystery Flight

I feel like this probably doesn't need its own thread, but couldn't figure out a good place to post it.

Basically I get an email today from Delta.com and Gogo that there's been a flight purchased along with 2 day passes for Gogo (on the flight).

The mysterious thing is, this email is not attached to my Delta account in any way. However, the confirmation is real - I'm able to access from the Delta website and my full name (including middle initial is in there). My SkyMiles account is not attached to the ticket.

It's a first class domestic ticket for 2 months from now and cost over $1k. However, from the last four digits this doesn't appear to be my credit card (I have a lot of credit cards, but I can't find any that match the last four and nothing is showing in any of my accounts).

Can anyone think of why this would show up? Hard to imagine it's a Delta bug. I assume some type of scam, but what's the scam?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Could be someone with the same name and similar email address. I share the same name with another person and our email addresses differ by only one letter, every once and a while I get things for him, or he gets things for me. After discovering what was going on (via a third party and very humourous email exchange) we started forwarding emails we thought belonged to the other - I now make sure if I give my email verbally, that they got it right.

I'd look to see if you have any other common info on the PNR (phone, birthdate, etc...)

Or maybe you have a really nice friend that wants to surprise you with a first class ticket

Could be identity theft, but I feel that there could be quite a few more likley scenarios before that.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did DL say when you called?

Isn't that the simplest and best thing to do in the case of even a potential fraud?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Does the origin city match your home city? (e.g. could it be a friend or family planning to surprise you with travel for an upcoming gift giving occasion?)

Calling Delta is of course the right answer - they can investigate whether fraud may have occurred, as they will have access to information like the secure flight details and the cardholder's name that could shed some light on the mystery.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

If I'm being honest I was kinda hoping there would be a way to use it to my advantage. There's basically no chance someone is surprising me - weirdly it is from my home airport also. However, I don't know anybody in South Carolina where the destination is.

If it is mistaken identify there are soooooo many coincidences (using my email, same home airport, same middle name), yet I'm having trouble determining what the end game could be if it's some type of fraud.

Originally Posted by ajwright
I'd look to see if you have any other common info on the PNR (phone, birthdate, etc...)
This is a really good idea. Do you know how I can find this info? None of this info seems to be available on https://www.delta.com/mytrips/findPnr.action

Just has my name Willburxxxxxxxx under passenger info with nothing else.

Last edited by obscure2k; Jun 14, 2017 at 10:35 pm Reason: Deleted full name due to privacy concerns
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Willbur
If I'm being honest I was kinda hoping there would be a way to use it to my advantage. There's basically no chance someone is surprising me - weirdly it is from my home airport also. However, I don't know anybody in South Carolina where the destination is.

If it is mistaken identify there are soooooo many coincidences (using my email, same home airport, same middle name), yet I'm having trouble determining what the end game could be if it's some type of fraud.

This is a really good idea. Do you know how I can find this info? None of this info seems to be available on https://www.delta.com/mytrips/findPnr.action

Can be as simple as agent pulled up wrong SM account. It then prepopulated based on your profile. Do you use a TA to book? They could've done the same thing.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:30 am

There will come a day with AI where surprise flights will be impossible to pull offf.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:49 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Just show up at the airport on the day of travel and see what happens
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:32 am

Does it have your Delta rewards account number in the email as well?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:59 am

I think I know what is going on.

What is your mothers maiden name?

That will clear it all up.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Open the "SECURE FLIGHT PASSENGER DATA & CONTACT INFORMATION" section on the reservation. This is not shown by default on the reservation (you have to open it). There's gender and birthdate info in there and a "Passenger and Emergency Contact Information" section. This will likely have your email address in it and a possible contact phone number. Check if they provided a phone number for the reservation or any other info here. If I were OP, I'd be taking this somewhat more seriously (as a possible case of identity theft).

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 15, 2017 at 6:37 am
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Just show up at the airport on the day of travel and see what happens
This had definitely intrigued me.

Just finally got through to Delta and seems like someone else's ticket, just my email and and same exact name. So better than there being fraud, not as fun as a free ticket.

Last edited by Willbur; Jun 15, 2017 at 7:30 am
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This had definitely intrigued me.

Just finally got through to Delta and seems like someone else's ticket, just my email and and same exact name. So better than there being fraud, not as fun as a free ticket.
Doesn't really explain how your email got in there and same exact name and home airport sounds very unlikely. Did you open the Secure Flight Passenger Data & Contact Info section on the reservation as I mentioned above? This is where more detailed info and the contact information is kept (Passenger Information section contains only limited data -- name and FF number).
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Doesn't really explain how your email got in there and same exact name and home airport sounds very unlikely. Did you open the Secure Flight Passenger Data & Contact Info section on the reservation as I mentioned above? This is where more detailed info and the contact information is kept (Passenger Information section contains only limited data -- name and FF number).
Yeah I opened that area (thanks for the tip) and unfortunately it didn't give the secure flight info (just said it was on file) so birthday and gender blank. Phone number was populated but it wasn't mine.

On the phone Delta confirmed that address and birthdate were not the same.

I think because of the scenario it created so many coincidences that it seemed fishy, yet were ultimately coincidences.

The email in question was an old school email, so basically someone who attending/is attending the school I attended accidentally typed my email in. Since the email is based on my name, makes sense they'd have the same or very similar name (and I guess a 1 in 27 or better chance of it being same initial). And same home airport since I still live in the area of the college.

With all of these coincidences lining up I at first thought fraud or mistake, but couldn't figure out what the fraud would be if they weren't using my credit card to pay for it - not like I'm someone special you'd want to imitate or something.

Thanks everyone for posting and providing opinions and insight - I was quite perplexed/intrigued by the situation.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Uhm, that it was not your DL email on account should raise a big red flag.

DL would never have been able to do this by mistake. And an innocent third party would never have that email.

I would run a credit check (or whatever) ASAP.

Maybe I am just a bit paranoid, but this really smells wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.