Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

HELP NEEDED - Atlanta Hartsfield Airport banking

Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for helping me brainstorm a solution to my problem.

I am traveling through Atlanta airport connecting on my way to Barcelona. Have not flown to the Atlanta airport in many many years.

I am meeting friends at the Atlanta airport and continuing my trip to Europe with them. They will be giving me cash they owe me that I don't want to carry around Europe. As we live in different countries it is not practical for them to give me the cash beforehand or deposit it via Paypal or other means.

Are there any ATMs or banks in the Atlanta airport that I can use to deposit the cash? I know there are Wells Fargo ATMs but not sure if they take deposits. If they do I can just open a Wells Fargo account and deposit the cash in the ATM machines.

Another possible option is to buy a Travelex prepaid card and reload it with cash at the airport, however this is my least preferred option as Travelex FX rates are abysmal.

Do you see any other possible solutions for me to deposit the cash to a US account while I am still at the airport?

Thank you and apologies in advance if this is not the correct forum to post the question in.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:26 am

There's a full service Wells Fargo bank branch in the atrium (you will need to exit & re-clear security); it's open M-F 10AM-3PM. Otherwise, the ATM are withdrawal-only.

Of course, if you exit the airport there's a plethora of banks nearby.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:30 am

Wells Fargo has an actual branch in the airport near baggage claim. It's open M-F from 10-3. Perhaps you could have them cut you a money order and you could drop it in the mail.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Call the branch at the airport and ask how much it would cost to convert the cash to a cashier's check if you're not a WF customer. Then either mail the check back to your home or deposit it if you have a bank like Chase or Ally that lets you do deposits via smartphone app.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
There used to be a post office by baggage claim. If they sell money orders and have enough time to exit and reclear security I would go there and buy a money order with the cash and deposit it with a smart phone app
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
http://atlanta-atl.worldairportguides.com/terminals.php

Claims the post office is open 6:30a-9p Mon-Sat and 12-8:30 on Sunday.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

THANK YOU SO MUCH guys! I am getting the money at around 4pm so unfortunately the Wells Fargo option is not going to work for me as they close at 3pm. Ideally if the Wells Fargo ATMs had the option to deposit money it would be great but I don't think it is the case.

The money order option through the Post Office seems ideal. Do you guys know if they for sure sell money orders there? Do you think I would have time to exit security to go to the Post Office at around 430pm and then go back through security to board a flight at 510pm? (flight leaves 545pm) I have TSA Precheck.

I saw that there is a Capitol City bank also in the airport, is this still open?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

And maybe somehow related question - when I buy the money order at the post office, will they give me a check type of document that I can then deposit through my Chase smartphone app? Is there a fee to convert cash to a money order? THANKS
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Yes, if you get a money order at the post office it would work just like a check. There is a small fee ($1-2) per money order. And the maximum money order you can buy is $1000. (https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm)

I've deposited money orders before using my bank's mobile deposit feature, so I'm sure you could do the same thing with Chase.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Are you sure their bank does not offer electronic transfers? It would be an unusual one that didn't

Being in different countries isn't an insurmoutable issue for this (unless it's one that the US isn't friends with at the moment)
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ajwright
Yes, if you get a money order at the post office it would work just like a check. There is a small fee ($1-2) per money order. And the maximum money order you can buy is $1000. (https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm)

I've deposited money orders before using my bank's mobile deposit feature, so I'm sure you could do the same thing with Chase.
Be careful not all banks will do MO without taking yhe actual MO.

Also for OP, no i wouldn't risk going outside security with that tight time frame. I'm also not sure why paypal wouldnt work. You both dont need to be from same country to make it work.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

- Paypal: There is an almost 4% fee to transfer the money from a non-US account to a US account so we are trying to avoid those fees
- Money order: If $1000 is the limit I am guessing I can buy several money orders if I need to convert more than $1000
- Electronic transfers: There is an almost $125 fee to send this from abroad and the FX rates are pretty bad.

Thank you again for all the ideas.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

By the way I have the Chase app with Quickdeposit so if someone has previous experience on depositing money orders via the app I would appreciate your input. Worst case I have the money orders with me rather than carrying wads of cash.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I would second the PayPal idea. I have used it a few times with people in other countries with no problems.

Edit: Didn't see the recent posts entered while I was writing mine.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by Ricardo Montes
I saw that there is a Capitol City bank also in the airport, is this still open?
The Capitol City Bank branch location has been replaced with the Wells Fargo branch location in that same spot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.