Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Used the "automated screening" lanes at T4 todayJFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Used the "automated screening" lanes at T4 todayJFK

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 9:27 am

LGW has a similar setup and it works reasonably well. The biggest gains are having 5 or so people being able to load tubs simultaneously. Even more so in the USA where people tend to travel with more items with them than in Europe. It also ensured there was a steady supply of bins waiting to be filled.

Not sure what we'd call the Tub Stacking Agency then...
Old May 18, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by woodford02A
This appears to be the same system in ATL on the North side. Took some getting used to

Saw this setup at ATL as well 2 weeks ago but at the South checkpoint. Only issue I noted was that the bin was large enough for my backpack, shoes, miscellaneous objects (belt, liquids bag, phone, etc.) and could have fit my laptop in one bin, but the TSA is still adamant about the laptop being in a separate bin. There wouldn't have been anything on top of the laptop and it would've fit in the only bin I would've put through.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but just wanted to throw that out there.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by appleguru
The AMS ones are gorgeous. This looks like an engineer's erector set prototype. (Actually... looks like 80/20!). Which is fine, as long as it's functional. Won't win any design awards though.
I was just going to say the same thing. It looks functional, but like a senior collegiate design project prototype rather than a production facility for one of the busiest airports in the world. And the AMS security filter appears to better manage the need to load multiple bins and have space to unpack liquids/etc. through its circular design.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I experienced these at LAX T4 Precheck and believe they are a definite improvement. There will be a learning curve from passengers (we were all caught off guard and needed some prompting to step up the bins being below) but I like not having to babysit my bags as they are screened.
Old May 11, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by Gig103
There will be a learning curve from passengers (we were all caught off guard and needed some prompting to step up the bins being below) but I like not having to babysit my bags as they are screened.
This has been my experience so far, most pax don't know how to use them, and TSA isn't being overly gentle in herding people along, more barking than necessary.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:12 pm

So now shoes go back in the bin? After all the yelling and screaming to take them out?
Old May 13, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lupine
So now shoes go back in the bin? After all the yelling and screaming to take them out?
What are you referring to? This is a year old thread someone posted to.
Old May 13, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by lupine
I think that on the standard scanners the shoes go on the belt, but on the new system they are in the bin. I see the confusion and the sooner the TSA could roll these out nation wide then the less confusion there will be.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
Doesn't LHR T3 have something similar?
Old May 13, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, DL, KE Skypass
I got a chance to used these at LAX's TBIT security checkpoint back in March, and so many people were confused about whether to put their bags directly onto the "conveyor belt" or how much to actually stuff into the bins. Honestly, it ended up slowing everything down, and that was due to both the customers' lack of understanding and the TSA officers' lack of patience (similar to daloosh's experience). I think the lanes could have benefited a little from having photographic instructions on how to use them/what to put in them (granted I don't know if instructions were put up between then and now).

Last edited by mjchick; May 13, 2018 at 6:48 pm
Old May 14, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by Delta Dude
Doesn't LHR T3 have something similar?
Similar, but the one at JFK T4 is worse in my opinion, because there is inadequate guidance on how to use the equipment. At LHR an agent basically walks each person through the process individually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.