Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded a day after upgrade

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Downgraded a day after upgrade

Bought a last minute ticket. Went with DL as F was available as an upgrade on purchase. Picked 1a. Checked in and found myself in comfort plus. What can I do about this? I'm I stuck with it can I take another flight with F seats available as F is sold out.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:38 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ryan754
Bought a last minute ticket. Went with DL as F was available as an upgrade on purchase. Picked 1a. Checked in and found myself in comfort plus. What can I do about this? I'm I stuck with it can I take another flight with F seats available as F is sold out.
I would give them a call to see what's going on.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Did you pay for the upgrade, or was "Upgrade Available" due to your Medallion window? If the former, and you have a receipt and ticket showing premium cabin, I would expect to be reseated in F, switched to another flight, or get a refund of the buy-up. If the latter, I'd lower my expectations. (There are occasional threads here about complimentary upgrades being revoked for one reason or another.)
Old May 15, 2017, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Called them. Told equipment change. Too bad. Asked to fly out of a different airport for the inconvenience. And they wanted a fare difference. I took DL over AA. Paid more as the instant upgrade was available. Not too pleased at all
Old May 15, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
"last minute" ticket ... if you're inside 24 hrs from time of purchase, you can cancel for a full refund; moreover, if your receipt says G/A/P you should be able to SDC to any flight with an available front cabin seat
Old May 15, 2017, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Medellian upgrade at purchase. 60 more for F but why pay $60 when its available right away. I always buy last minute so usually f is taken. I thought I was lucky. I'm just not pleased they downgraded me and said nothing and will do nothing but a refund which doesn't matter as I have 24 hours to refund anyway lol.

Originally Posted by bennos
Did you pay for the upgrade, or was "Upgrade Available" due to your Medallion window? If the former, and you have a receipt and ticket showing premium cabin, I would expect to be reseated in F, switched to another flight, or get a refund of the buy-up. If the latter, I'd lower my expectations. (There are occasional threads here about complimentary upgrades being revoked for one reason or another.)
Old May 15, 2017, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

The ticket is LGA ORD. I offered to fly PHL ORD. For compensation and they wanted to charge the fare difference.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
tail swaps happen ... you might have had more success offering to take JFK-ORD
Old May 15, 2017, 3:33 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
You can get a refund, I'm not sure what else you want them to do. Demanding a change of route so you can get an upgrade is pretty laughable. If you had paid for F this would be a different conversation but as it is you're coming off pretty bad and nobody reasonable is going to be sympathetic to what is essentially a DYKWIA complaint.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Not trying DYKNIA by all means. I purchased a product by a company that offered an upgraded product because of my status. I spent more on this product then another company. They revoked it from me. I asked to fly out of PHL without confirmed F. I think that's a fair resolution. In an Irrop situation I could fly out of PHL. My flight is now over sold. Waiting to get sent back to a middle Y seat lol.
End of the day it's no biggie at all. I just think it's fair to offer some sort of fair resolution.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:52 pm

Not trying DYKNIA by all means. I purchased a product by a company that offered an upgraded product because of my status. I spent more on this product then another company. They revoked it from me. I asked to fly out of PHL without confirmed F. I think that's a fair resolution. In an Irrop situation I could fly out of PHL. My flight is now over sold. Waiting to get sent back to a middle Y seat lol.
End of the day it's no biggie at all. I just think it's fair to offer some sort of fair resolution.
If you're flight is oversold....now, can't you ask to reroute PHL-ORD WITH VBD comp and/or possibly, confirmed F?
Old May 15, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Medellian upgrade at purchase. 60 more for F but why pay $60 when its available right away. I always buy last minute so usually f is taken. I thought I was lucky. I'm just not pleased they downgraded me and said nothing and will do nothing but a refund which doesn't matter as I have 24 hours to refund anyway lol.
The only thing I'd really fault them on is not notifying you and maybe throwing 5000mi at you or something. Equipment swaps are part of the game.
Old May 15, 2017, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
If there was an equivalent swap then it is far better to take back a free upgrade than kick a paid F passenger out.
Old May 15, 2017, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Called back and got swapped out to PHL DTW ORD. Hate to throw away the opportunity of a VDB. I'm happy to get the reroute though. Got a great girl on the line who sorted me out.
Old May 15, 2017, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm very confused. The information under your username suggests that you don't have status with DL, so I don't see how you expected to get a free Medallion upgrade.

Or did you pay more for a G A P fare, including paying for the upgrade at checkout? Your OP seems to suggest no, so I'm puzzled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.