Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CRJ-900 from Fort Myers to La Guardia

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Plat
You can also consider driving over to Fort Lauderdale where there are more direct flight options and all are on larger mainline aircraft (mostly A319 & MD90's).
Old May 14, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I agree that the CRJ-900 isn't as bad as some of the other RJs. Assuming you're in Y, if you sit far enough forward to avoid the noise from the engine, you should also not feel too much turbulence (Row 8 or 9).

If you have to fly/land through strong winds, it will get a bit bumpy no matter which aircraft you fly on. To me, connecting isn't worth the small difference in perceived turbulence.
Old May 14, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I prefer the E175 to the CR9, but I don't mind the CR9. I have flown them a lot this year, including ORD-SLC. I've been able to clear at least 72 hours out on everything except the evening DTW-ORD where they seem to be holding out for any IRROPS.

The only thing about the CR9 is that you have to gate check the 22" rollaboards.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL GM
The CRJ-900 really isn't bad, certainly not bad enough to add a connection or reroute to a different airport and drive a few hours. I think the only exception to that would be if I were traveling with a bunch of gear that I couldn't risk needing to be gate checked. Even then, I'd choose to streamline my gear before choosing a connection.

Some of my more enjoyable flights recently have been on CR9s, that single seat side in FC makes for a fairly nice flight. It wouldn't be my first choice over a mainline aircraft but if it is the most convenient routing available, sign me up.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I prefer the E175 to the CR9, but I don't mind the CR9. I have flown them a lot this year, including ORD-SLC. I've been able to clear at least 72 hours out on everything except the evening DTW-ORD where they seem to be holding out for any IRROPS.

The only thing about the CR9 is that you have to gate check the 22" rollaboards.
On at least some of the CRJ-900s, normal (not overstuffed) 22 inch roller bags fit, but you're still likely to be forced to gate check them.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On at least some of the CRJ-900s, normal (not overstuffed) 22 inch roller bags fit, but you're still likely to be forced to gate check them.
I've had that happen to me. I forget which Connection carrier it was, but the FA said that their policy was no wheeled bags at 20" or more. I was really upset because I had my CPAP and my second laptop in the wheeled bag and I had to start taking things apart.

Now when I fly a CR9 for a short trip I use a Tom Bihn Brain Bag for my gear and shoes and a Red Oxx CPA bag for my clothes. I found that I can fit two Eagle Creek 18" packing folders into the CPA bag so my clothes aren't a mess.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:55 pm

Many Times

I have taken the CRJ-900 on this route many times. I always would advise a direct flight. The advantages to this plane are no real difference in seat size in coach, 2+2 seating so no middle seat and easy on and off as very few bags go in the overhead. The only disadvantage is when the weather is bad at LGA, this size plane gets cancelled and delayed way more than the larger size plane.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I agree that the CRJ-900 isn't as bad as some of the other RJs. Assuming you're in Y, if you sit far enough forward to avoid the noise from the engine, you should also not feel too much turbulence (Row 8 or 9).

If you have to fly/land through strong winds, it will get a bit bumpy no matter which aircraft you fly on. To me, connecting isn't worth the small difference in perceived turbulence.
E170/175s bob around like a cork in crosswind landings (not unsafe, just an active ride), but the CR9 should be fine.

I don't mind CR9s all that much, and F on the single seat side is great. The exit row seats, esp the window seats, are often bad over an hour due to very poor padding, and row 11 is wretchedly claustrophobic. I also, personally, do all I can to avoid rows 18-20, but I'd also avoid the last several on an MD-88.

Rear lav on the CR9 is surprisingly humane, much better than the new A320 micro-lavs in the aft.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Card holder, JetBlue Trueblue, HiltonHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
While I have not been on one, my mom who can be picky about aircraft (i.e. comfort, configuration) said the CR9 was fine and rather fun (she wants me to fly on one one day)! She flew it a little under a month ago PBI-JFK and reported the aircraft was in good shape, had a smooth ride, and had comfortable seats. She also said the crew was excellent! Based on these facts, I would go with the nonstop, as you run less risk of a misconnect and will get to your destination faster. Enjoy your time in Fort Myers!
Old May 16, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I would go for the CR9 as well and if you have the option of booking row 9, go for it. I've had my row 9 seat turn into a free C+ seat when they've swapped in the refreshed CR9 a couple of times now on RDU - NYC and NYC - RDU flights.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:03 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
No problem here with a CR9. I'd take an E170/175 over it, but no reason to book away. The CR9 is actually quite nice when traveling as a pair since you can have 2 seats to yourself.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
No reason to take a connex (unless of course you're looking for more miles) on the flight. The CRJ-900 in this case is fine. I wouldn't want to fly it TALT, but for this its fine.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:21 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
No reason to take a connex (unless of course you're looking for more miles) on the flight. The CRJ-900 in this case is fine. I wouldn't want to fly it TALT, but for this its fine.
I don't think a CRJ would quite make it TATL, unless it was a Challenger, in which case it would be an extremely sweet ride

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.