Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta - Throw away with alternate connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

I have a one way flight on Delta from MCI at 4:57pm with a stop over in ATL 9:14pm arriving in BWI 11:11 pm. I plan on missing the the flight from ATL-BWI and I made a separate one way reservation on Delta to FLL leaving 10:29 pm arriving 12:20 am. Should I be concerned that Delta is going to cancel my flight to FLL if I miss my flight to BWI? The reason for the throwaway is not to save money rather It is the last leg of my business trip and I need to "technically" end off where I started, BWI.
Old May 12, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by thesilverguy
I have a one way flight on Delta from MCI at 4:57pm with a stop over in ATL 9:14pm arriving in BWI 11:11 pm. I plan on missing the the flight from ATL-BWI and I made a separate one way reservation on Delta to FLL leaving 10:29 pm arriving 12:20 am. Should I be concerned that Delta is going to cancel my flight to FLL if I miss my flight to BWI? The reason for the throwaway is not to save money rather It is the last leg of my business trip and I need to "technically" end off where I started, BWI.
First off, welcome to FT!

Having two reservations out of the same city at the same time is prohibited by DL, and if they catch it they have the right to cancel one or both of them without notifying or refunding you any time between now and departure.

That being said, I don't really know what the likelihood is that they will catch it. I would say though that the likelihood is much higher of it being caught if you have something like your skymiles number associated with both of them.
Old May 12, 2017, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the welcome and the quick response... its good to be here.. There is an 11:30pm out of ATL I could take instead of the 10:29pm that way official I would not have two flights in the air at the same time (the BWI flight lands at 11:11pm). Would that resolve the issue or its not worth waiting in the airport for an extra hour and I should take the small risk?

Yeah I only used my skymiles number on one of the two flights.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:39 pm

I had this situation occur when travel plans changed. I was on my way home and had to add a new destination city mid-trip. My original schedule was XXX - DTW - YYY. Later I purchased a one-way DTW - ZZZ.

I called Delta a week before my trip, told them what was up, and asked them to cancel my DTW - YYY segment so they could sell the seat if needed. They dropped the segment without any problems and were thankful for the call.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:53 pm

airlines overbook.

act in your own best interest. you don't need to make a company thankful.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:19 am

I have RT BOS - CDG booked for two with GUC applied to both. Yay!. But now I need to return CDG - SLC so thought about booking an additional (non-stop) 1 way just for me since there is no direct flight BOS -SLC that afternoon/evening. What would happen to my companion still on the CDG - BOS leg? Can I split the PNR?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by stewart24
I have RT BOS - CDG booked for two with GUC applied to both. Yay!. But now I need to return CDG - SLC so thought about booking an additional (non-stop) 1 way just for me since there is no direct flight BOS -SLC that afternoon/evening. What would happen to my companion still on the CDG - BOS leg? Can I split the PNR?
Assuming that your GUCs were used to upgrade the companion, the official rule would be that both of you are required to be on the same PNR and therefore exactly the same itinerary. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.