Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's revamped 777s will have just 28 J seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's revamped 777s will have just 28 J seats

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 7:08 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
While I can take some comfort that the 777 is not that common, I can only assume other aircraft may see similar reductions in J over time.

This definitely devalues the GUCs and SM (and DM status as well as Amex)!!!! With upgrade percentages on domestic falling, it was only a matter of time before they found the next "benefit" to go after I suppose....
Old May 10, 2017, 7:18 pm

Will Delta keep the current Y seats or upgrade them to a newer model seat?
Old May 10, 2017, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
One would assume Delta has done some modeling that shows on average X number of seats up front are occupied by paying business-class passengers while X number are paying economy-class passengers on upgrade instruments or non-revenue passengers. I realize this may not necessarily be the case, but one would assume so.

I have never had a problem using my upgrade certificates, but I'm generally very flexible. I'll basically tell the diamond desk to find me a flight that I can use it on after using Google Flights, Matrix and Delta.dumb to get an approximation of what I want.

Regardless, I also don't see Delta's new business-class product being priced in dollars much more expensive than present business-class. That's mostly because there are only so many people who have the budget to spend $2,700-$7,000 on business-ticket tickets. Plus, I suspect many of the big customers -- diamonds, Delta 360 -- have corporate contracts with Delta. I don't think they'd take too kindly to a 15% or 25% increase in the cost of airfare simply because SOME aircraft have the new seats.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM
Lurker turned first time poster here.

I know the future of C+ on the A350/777 has been discussed ad nauseam on various threads, but I interpret this excerpt from a relatively recent investor deck as confirmation that C+ will complement PS on the A350/777.
Attached Images  
Old May 10, 2017, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FinanceGuyLAX
Lurker turned first time poster here.

I know the future of C+ on the A350/777 has been discussed ad nauseam on various threads, but I interpret this excerpt from a relatively recent investor deck as confirmation that C+ will complement PS on the A350/777.
Without knowing the route, those prices look high for everything except D1.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was thinking the same $1799 for BE? Can fly RT to SYD in main cabin/W for less.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM
While I don't disagree with you, I think the intention of this slide is to highlight the price segmentation between each product.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
While I don't disagree with you, I think the intention of this slide is to highlight the price segmentation between each product.
Then it's a big leap from paid C+ to premium economy.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Four Class is fairly common among large carriers. I could definitely see Business, Premium Select, C+, and Main Cabin. Example:

Bus: D1 Suites 80" Pitch 22-24" Width lie-flat (28 suites)
PS: 38-40" Pitch 20-21" Width (Domestic F) (48 seats) (2-4-2)?
C+ 34" Pitch 18-18.5" Width (27 seats 3x3x3)
Main Cabin 31" Pitch 18-18'5" Width (Balance 3x3x3)
Old May 11, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
That fare set looks roughly in line with what I was seeing for r/t travel MSP-AKL via IAH or LAX on Air New Zealand (well, without the Basic economy) last year when shopping (didn't make the trip, will some day...)
Old May 11, 2017, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Austin787
Bulkhead and exit rows will continue to have extra legroom by design, these can be classified as comfort economy.
Except there are only a handful of those seats, and you can be sure they will be long gone months ahead of the flight.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I've seen that slide; I was inclined to believe it was strictly illustrative of all the segments Delta offers. FWIW.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Maybe it devalues the GUC, maybe it doesn't. If the J product is 100% full on all routes, then yes it eventually will. But if that's the case then I would expect a reconfigure to be in the works as well. I'd be interested to see the composition of an average J flight of paid, full award, miles upgrade, GUC, JCM and non-rev. This could end up hurting non-revs more than anyone.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Then it's a big leap from paid C+ to premium economy.
Agreed. Most long-haul W seats seem to sell for aprox $2000-$2500 when I've searched.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Agreed. Most long-haul W seats seem to sell for aprox $2000-$2500 when I've searched.
With how much TPAC prices have dived lately, I think $1500-2000 is ideal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.