Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport Upgrade tracking thread

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by davetravels
How many extra points would you get for a 404 mile flight, anyway? Also, just curious, how much are you willing to pay for said points - then "fight for them" if they don't credit you?
They will award 75 Tier Points (1000 needed for gold) on a First Class delta flight. In contrast, my Premium Economy return will earn 100 (possibly 200 if its in a higher fare bucket, but thats unlikely). So 150 TPs (2x75) is a great boost for little $'s.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My understanding is as follows:

Cash upgrades in advance via offers on the app (FCM) or even by calling DL are generally only available on DL issued tickets, not including corporate travel agencies, etc. I would assume that the same holds for a VS issued ticket. In fact, I'm not sure whether you can pay the fee (as some people do when they call to pay to upgrade a ticket that was provided by an employer) to have DL take over a VS issued ticket, especially to do it before checking in for the first VS operated TATL segment. Moreover, when you call DL, you're generally offered to buy the upgrade by paying the fare difference (with no change fee), which usually is not a good deal at all unless the ticket was purchased very recently.

If you pay to upgrade on the day of departure, the ticket isn't reissued into a G A P (discounted FC) fare class and you do not get the class of service bonus miles. In contrast, when I've purchased the upgrade in advance on the app (or done it on delta.dumb at the time of ticketing), I have received 150% MQMs.
I doubt I will be able to do it before travel because it will be booked through a TA and Virgin, or Delta won't touch it until T-24, or after the first check in, hence why I am going to have to try and do it at the airport. I hope I can do it at ATL once the trip has started and there is an F or A bucket available.

Thanks for the insight all.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:37 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CommanderB
They will award 75 Tier Points (1000 needed for gold) on a First Class delta flight. In contrast, my Premium Economy return will earn 100 (possibly 200 if its in a higher fare bucket, but thats unlikely). So 150 TPs (2x75) is a great boost for little $'s.

I doubt I will be able to do it before travel because it will be booked through a TA and Virgin, or Delta won't touch it until T-24, or after the first check in, hence why I am going to have to try and do it at the airport. I hope I can do it at ATL once the trip has started and there is an F or A bucket available.

I don't know how it would work on a VS ticket but for $50 Delta will take over an agent ticket before travel. Once that happens Delta can make any changes needed.

Could your agent book it on 006 stock?
Old May 4, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CommanderB

OP - forget about this plan. There will ALWAYS be more Medallions than seats in ATL. There is less than a .1% chance a gate upgrade will be available. Plus, you aren't even on a 006 ticket and lack status with DL, so the agents in ATL likely won't even try to reissue/help (because you won't clear the upgrade list, and because its so much work for them for such a short flight).

Also, ATL-MCO is 50/50 in terms of it being packed with Medallions. I have seeb upgrade lists of over 50 people standing by for an upgrade for that route. I even know Diamonds who have missed the upgrade on that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.