Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can I apply my RUC to an itin I'm not on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM

Hi All,

Here's my scenario. Me (PM), wife & child (no status) flying JFK-PLS in March. If I read the rules right, it is Medallion (and thus RUC eligible). It is my first time as a platinum, so bear with me! Obv trying to find the cheapest and best way to get us all up front without paying for it.

I was thinking I would use a Delta Plat Card Cert to buy C- tix for self and kid, auto-upgrade to C+, buy c+ for wife, then RUC all three of us and hope for the best? Would that work? Meaning, can I apply a RUC to my wife's ticket even though she isn't on the same PNR?

Thanks. Other ideas welcome (I know, WFBF!)
Old May 1, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
I don't believe this is *technically* allowed, but I've managed to do this several times with both RUCs and GUCs (on the receiving end of the GUC) on a separate PNR.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The T & C's seem pretty clear on this:

"May be redeemed for the named Medallion Member and up to one travel companion in the same reservation"

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html
Old May 1, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
The T & C's seem pretty clear on this:

"May be redeemed for the named Medallion Member and up to one travel companion in the same reservation"

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html
Ahh...hmm...so even if I have RUC's I can only upgrade two on the PNR, and one has to be me. That rules out many scenarios.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
How are you going to use the companion certificate on JFK-PLS? Cert is for domestic travel only.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:47 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Sadly, no:

Transferability: Certificate may be used only to upgrade tickets for travel by the SkyMiles member or one companion in the same reservation and confirmed in the same cabin as that member. Each person in the reservation requires a certificate for a one-way upgrade. Certificate may not be transferred for cash or any other consideration.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The official rule is that you can use RUCs/GUCs for you and one other person on the same PNR. In practice, people have reported being allowed to use RUCs/GUCs when the elite is already ticketed in a premium cabin (paid fare) and wishes to upgrade a companion on a separate PNR. The typical case where this happens would be that the elite is taking a business trip where the employer pays for a premium cabin ticket but the elite wants to take a spouse along on the trip, with the spouse having a cheap coach ticket purchased separately (with private funds, not through the corporate travel office) and trying to get an instrument supported upgrade to join the elite in the premium cabin.

I don't think it will work, but YMMV.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
How are you going to use the companion certificate on JFK-PLS? Cert is for domestic travel only.
They are allowed on many short international flights.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I have been able to upgrade a companion on a separate reservation essentially every time I've used an RUC, despite the language on the cert. As long as that person has been on the same flights, it's been a non-issue. (Though the last time I tried was a year ago.)

No way to upgrade more than one companion though. You + 2 companions isn't going to fly.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies. Just realized (correctly noted above) that companion tix are not eligible to the Caribbean so that's out. Looks like it's one paid F ticket and then RUC or PM upgrade for myself and companion.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by royevans
Thanks everyone for the replies. Just realized (correctly noted above) that companion tix are not eligible to the Caribbean so that's out. Looks like it's one paid F ticket and then RUC or PM upgrade for myself and companion.
HUH? There shouldn't be any difference between Caribbean and other places regarding whether companion tickets are eligible to use RUCs/GUCs or not.

Caribbean versus other destinations affects whether RUCs can be used for upgrades. If you can use a RUC to upgrade yourself on the flight, you can also use a second RUC to upgrade ONE companion on the same PNR, assuming that upgrade space is available.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? There shouldn't be any difference between Caribbean and other places regarding whether companion tickets are eligible to use RUCs/GUCs or not.

Caribbean versus other destinations affects whether RUCs can be used for upgrades. If you can use a RUC to upgrade yourself on the flight, you can also use a second RUC to upgrade ONE companion on the same PNR, assuming that upgrade space is available.
MSP - I meant that my destination is not eligible for the credit card companion ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.