Wiki Posts
Search

DL 744 seat 72K -- is it that bad?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
DL 744 seat 72K -- is it that bad?

For an upcoming trip from NRT to DTW I've been upgraded to Delta One. I realize this may be my last trip on a DL 744, and would like to ride upstairs. At this point, the only open seat is 72k...which seems to be universally hated.
Experiences? Is it really that bad?? Seatturu says I can't store stuff on the floor during takeoff. Surely there isn't less legroom? Other than proximity to lavs and exiting last on arrival, what's the big deal? Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Coloradohamish
For an upcoming trip from NRT to DTW I've been upgraded to Delta One. I realize this may be my last trip on a DL 744, and would like to ride upstairs. At this point, the only open seat is 72k...which seems to be universally hated.
Experiences? Is it really that bad?? Seatturu says I can't store stuff on the floor during takeoff. Surely there isn't less legroom? Other than proximity to lavs and exiting last on arrival, what's the big deal? Thanks!
Seatguru is no longer the site it once was. Now its rveryone complaining be ause theu didnt get a 24 kt gold gilded suite with separate seat and bed.

No less room then any other seat. No D1 seat offers ability to store stuff pn the floor. Only negative is being close to lav. However with sp few passengers its not an ossue really.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Seatguru is no longer the site it once was. Now its rveryone complaining be ause theu didnt get a 24 kt gold gilded suite with separate seat and bed.

No less room then any other seat. No D1 seat offers ability to store stuff pn the floor. Only negative is being close to lav. However with sp few passengers its not an ossue really.
+1

There is nothing quite like the experience of the upper deck on the 747. On the DL config, there are only good or great seats - no bad seats.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Coloradohamish
I was in 72k last month - great seat; sufficiently back from the lavs to not be an issue.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: Waffle House DM
Any upper deck seat is great. Just to get the feeling of being in a small, private cabin while 300 of your newest friends fight it out downstairs. It's quieter and much more personalized service. As flyerCO alludes, SeatGuru has lost a lot of its objectivity and usefulness these days - How bad could the proximity of the lavs even be with 14 of you in that cabin!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: DL: PM, Marriott: Gold, Hilton: Gold
I'd go for any upper deck seat, any time. I did it on the same route last fall and it was amazing. In my case I was able to get 77K but even though that seat is close to the lav, there are so few passengers up there it should not be an issue.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
And I'm at the opposite end in about a month. I'll be in 80K at the end of May going DTW-NRT. I had the same thought - it might be my final trip on a DL 744, and I'm taking the upper deck. The return is via ATL on the 772.

Quasi-related, do we know yet when the final 744 flight is? I seem to recall it being in December 2017, but I don't remember the exact date or to what city is the final customer-bookable leg. Would love to be on it if possible!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
And I'm at the opposite end in about a month. I'll be in 80K at the end of May going DTW-NRT. I had the same thought - it might be my final trip on a DL 744, and I'm taking the upper deck. The return is via ATL on the 772.

Quasi-related, do we know yet when the final 744 flight is? I seem to recall it being in December 2017, but I don't remember the exact date or to what city is the final customer-bookable leg. Would love to be on it if possible!
Dec 17 ICN-DTW.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:24 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Dec 17 ICN-DTW.
WOW! I may hafto go to Asia in Dec and come home on my BD!!!

Just checking . . . . 200K One way for that flight!!!

12/14 UD sets still open, though!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Dec 17 ICN-DTW.
OK awesome. Have to start investigating this soon. Major bummer if all of a sudden there was a last minute equipment swap.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
OK awesome. Have to start investigating this soon. Major bummer if all of a sudden there was a last minute equipment swap.
Careful booking it that late. There could be a switch to A350 then depending on delivery/availability/training.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:37 pm

Thanks. I'm not booking anything for several months since this flight is still 7.5 months away anyway. Give it the summer at least for the dust to settle and see if there are any updates to the schedule and ship type. Don't even know right now if my own availability will allow it, too. But wise advice - thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:38 pm

I hope I get to a station in life where I can call any business class seat on the upper deck of a 747 "bad."
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets
I hope I get to a station in life where I can call any business class seat on the upper deck of a 747 "bad."
LOL amen! Thank you for reframing and putting this in perspective. #firstworldprobs . But then again, most of FT is.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
i've been in this seat twice and don't understand the issue. yes, there are 2 bathrooms vaguely in front of you. yes, occassionally one of the 15 or so pax on the UD walk by you on their way to the bathroom. no, they never linger by your seat because 2 bathrooms for the entire UD means one is always open. And the bathroom is far enough forward that it's not like you are getting bothered by bathroom light and possible smells like you would on some of the D1 seats on the 777.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.