Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Frustrating Secondary Gate Screening at LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frustrating Secondary Gate Screening at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by bennos
The MMW (clear) machines are still very much in use, and the physical detection and imaging is still very much the same. All that has changed is that the human in the room viewing the images has been replaced by software to parse the images, but the images are still in the machine for some unknowable period of time (since it's not like the vendor has open sourced the product).

You can of course continue to opt out in the US. (I forget what the UK status is... for a while it was if you refuse you don't fly, but that might have been overturned.)
You have the right to refuse the scanner in the UK as well. I did when I passed through LHR a few weeks ago, and while the alternative process was not unpleasant, it did feel deliberately inefficient. I had to wait for a supervisor for five to ten minutes while all my belongings were out of sight at the end of the belt, was then led to a private room for a TSA-style pat down, asked to sign my consent, and finally they insisted upon a manual search of my bag and re-screened all the electronics.

I gave the staff very similar reasons to yours (the machines still have to create an image, it's simply analysed by a computer instead of a human and I don't trust that it can't be stored) and was repeatedly assured that the machines do not produce any images and do not emit harmful radiation (that I do trust), was handed a leaflet to that effect, and was generally met with courteous bewilderment as it's apparently mainly pregnant women who refuse the scanners (I am neither pregnant nor a woman).

All told, the process took a good twenty to thirty minutes and I'd probably choose to go through the scanner next time – so I daresay they've accomplished what they wanted.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:26 am

Can anybody explain the logic between the "security agents" that Delta has near the LHR ticketing counters? They ask nonsense questions ("How long have you been in London?" "Have you seen friends?" "What did you eat for dinner last night?") Then they put a sticker on my passport that just kind of stays there forever.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:43 am

Those "security agents" are exactly that. and those nonsense questions are part of their screening technique. Most propably a third screener in street clothes nearby is observing body language, tone, etc. Those nonsense questions are actually very effective in screening.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by desi
Those "security agents" are exactly that. and those nonsense questions are part of their screening technique. Most propably a third screener in street clothes nearby is observing body language, tone, etc. Those nonsense questions are actually very effective in screening.
It's voodoo "security" that was so "effective" that the failed underwear bomber, the failed shoe bomber, multiple 9/11 hijackers, and various other terrorists have been questioned by these "security agents" and been cleared to fly by them too.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by desi
It's security theater performed by minimum wage employees
Spiff likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:09 pm

Flabbergasted at LHR term3

I travel an insane amount. Reach diamond status points twice a year and have done so for last 5 years.

This morning boarding DL 33 get the dreaded ssss on boarding card. Hey it happens.. and in the spirit of security once in a while we can live with it.

It's the jobs worth, minimum wage child doing the check at the " security point" that gets the back up. If your going to do something do it right.. have the answer to the questions.. what is the point of the check otherwise. Apparently someone in TSA sees me as a threat according to them. I have pre check, a redress number,c a TWIC card, global entry and a green card? I'd rekon in the last 10 years I've talked to and been questioned by enough USA officials for then to Not to think that on this particular travel date I was a threat. ! ? As to the BS questions at the delta desk prior to check in don't get me started. Evert two weeks.Q. where do you live.? A. Jacksonville Florida and Southampton UK. Q. Where did you stay on this trip A. At my home. Q. What is the purpose of your trip A. Work. Q why do you travel so much .. A for work ? Q where did you sleep last night A in bed ? Seemed a fair answer ?? Q dont try and be smart with me ! A . Sorry sir ( emphasis on sir). Q did you pack this bag . A ( I wanted to say no the fairy in the laundry did) Yes I packed it.
Q do you know what is in it. A. Yes ( felt like saying I'd instructed the fairy in detail) Q are there any electronic goods in this bag. A no ( of course they are but wanted to see what his reaction would be,) he just says. There are a lot of our stickers on this passport thank you ... And the reason for these questions ? If they were a threat to anyone wishing to do something to an aircraft I guess the potential wrong doer would fly Virgin from the same check in desk ????
Old May 14, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's voodoo "security" that was so "effective" that the failed underwear bomber, the failed shoe bomber, multiple 9/11 hijackers, and various other terrorists have been questioned by these "security agents" and been cleared to fly by them too.
Behavioral screening is actually quite effective in most cases. However, when done by an organization like the TSA that can't even pass 10% of it's own security tests, it loses some effectiveness.

FYI- The 9/11 hijackers flew domestically. Those questions aren't asked on domestic flights.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Anyone can be randomly screened at gate at LHR, nothing to do with SSSS, she likely just gave you that line to shut you up
Anybody can be screened randomly at ANY airport around the world as long as the flight is bound for the US
Old May 14, 2019, 7:24 pm

I always thought questions like “did you pack your bag yourself” and “do you know what’s in your bag” are CYA questions so that if they find anything illegal, you can’t claim ignorance.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
I haven’t been through LHR since late 2016. I too was pulled aside at the gate for extra secondary screening. They seemed to doubt me when asked about my profession (airline pilot) due to my age (I was 25 or 26 at the time).
Old May 15, 2019, 5:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
On a recent international flight I stopped to answer the useless questions to get my passport sticker and instead of a DL employee or DL contract employee it was somebody from a well know international security company in uniform doing this.

I am happy to answer questions like "where are you going?" "home" and "did you pack your own bags?" but in this instance I was asked what I do and gave the generic answer and then was asked "I need your companys name, address, and phone number"

I was very surprised to say the least at this request, and just said "I am not allowed to disclose based on my employment contract" which is actually a very legitimate answer and true in very high security industries. The security guard then got very rude, slapped the sticker on, and gave me back my passport. To be nice I said "I apologize but its my employer mandating this" and as I was walking away loudly they yelled at me "nobody is restricted from just saying a company name, your being stupid"

Anyways the DL agent at check in heard it and laughed/apologized for that experience.

Since it was a small airport the same security guard was working the gate departure too, they went out of their way to not make eye contact or say anything.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Widgets
I always thought questions like “did you pack your bag yourself” and “do you know what’s in your bag” are CYA questions so that if they find anything illegal, you can’t claim ignorance.
This question always pissed me off as a kid, I'd check in and they would ask 8 year old me if I packed my bag. "Nope, my mother did!" -- That would cause a bit of annoyance from the staffer since they had a yes/no checkbox to complete.

God I miss being an UM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.