Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gogo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Gogo upgrade

I was on DL1444 a couple of days ago and the Gogo services was so excruciatingly slow it was difficult to even go through a few emails. I was told the plane was just 2 months old which got me thinking what was the timetable for Delta upgrading the Gogo wifi to ku satellite. I was under the impression that the rate would accelerate in 2017. Anyone with new info on this. TYIA
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Lots of 738s (and 319s) have already been upgraded to 2Ku sat service. See links in the narrowbody fleet updates thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by ftfmdtw
I was on DL1444 a couple of days ago and the Gogo services was so excruciatingly slow it was difficult to even go through a few emails. I was told the plane was just 2 months old which got me thinking what was the timetable for Delta upgrading the Gogo wifi to ku satellite. I was under the impression that the rate would accelerate in 2017. Anyone with new info on this. TYIA
Hey ftfmdtw, I hope you're having a good weekend so far.
As for why your Gogo experience was subpar, would you be willing to tell us the specific day you flew? It'd be greatly appreciated as we then can have a basic understanding of what plane you actually flew on.

As far as 2Ku upgrades go, these are currently taking place on the following aircraft, and the pace has indeed increased (though there still are a fair amount of airplanes -even new ones! That are not yet equipped with it yet; a few of the A321s and 739s are prime examples of this. Though they all are expected to get them soon.)

For future reference, the following aircraft are expected to get 2Ku:

-All existing planes in DL's longhaul, transpacific, and transatlantic fleets are now equipped w/ 2Ku (747, 777, 767-4, 767-3, 75S, A330)

-A320s are slowly getting it; some have already recieved them in P1 mods, some we'll have to wait until P2

-A319s most should get these in the initial round of mods

-739s should get these as they're added to the fleet

-738s are currently in the process of being upgraded but have a ways to go

-752, 753 are being upgraded as well. 2Ku is more often found on the 752s however, but all should recieve upgrades

-Upcoming CS100s

-Upcoming A330-900Neo & A350s

---

Now it's important to note, that many new aircraft actually are getting ATG4 right away prior to 2Ku and with good reason. 2Ku simply takes longer to deploy. While ATG can be installed in a night, 2Ku can take up to three -which in some cases is simply too much to have an airplane sitting. With that in mind, once the planes already out, it can be a little tough to reschedule it for a modding to get 2Ku as it's already servicing customers.

The 2Ku mods have indeed picked up, I personally have stumbled onto a few myself. It's worth noting however, while 2Ku is nice, it's not Delta's flying form of Google Fiber (usually scoring 3-10mbps on average).

But not to knock a positive thing though, it's like going from 3G to LTE which is by all means -welcome.

For more info regarding 2Ku additions, there is a sweet master thread put together by @BostonPlanesAndTrains and @N515CR big props for them on the effort. While it doesn't go fully in depth on the upgrades per fleet, it does, however, give you direct access to the planes that will be upgraded (and have been).

Hope I was of assistance.

And again, have a fantastic rest of your weekend.

All the best,

_NKCM
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Hey ftfmdtw, I hope you're having a good weekend so far.
As for why your Gogo experience was subpar, would you be willing to tell us the specific day you flew? It'd be greatly appreciated as we then can have a basic understanding of what plane you actually flew on.

As far as 2Ku upgrades go, these are currently taking place on the following aircraft, and the pace has indeed increased (though there still are a fair amount of airplanes -even new ones! That are not yet equipped with it yet; a few of the A321s and 739s are prime examples of this. Though they all are expected to get them soon.)

For future reference, the following aircraft are expected to get 2Ku:

-All existing planes in DL's longhaul, transpacific, and transatlantic fleets are now equipped w/ 2Ku (747, 777, 767-4, 767-3, 75S, A330)

-A320s are slowly getting it; some have already recieved them in P1 mods, some we'll have to wait until P2

-A319s most should get these in the initial round of mods

-739s should get these as they're added to the fleet

-738s are currently in the process of being upgraded but have a ways to go

-752, 753 are being upgraded as well. 2Ku is more often found on the 752s however, but all should recieve upgrades

-Upcoming CS100s

-Upcoming A330-900Neo & A350s

---

Now it's important to note, that many new aircraft actually are getting ATG4 right away prior to 2Ku and with good reason. 2Ku simply takes longer to deploy. While ATG can be installed in a night, 2Ku can take up to three -which in some cases is simply too much to have an airplane sitting. With that in mind, once the planes already out, it can be a little tough to reschedule it for a modding to get 2Ku as it's already servicing customers.

The 2Ku mods have indeed picked up, I personally have stumbled onto a few myself. It's worth noting however, while 2Ku is nice, it's not Delta's flying form of Google Fiber (usually scoring 3-10mbps on average).

But not to knock a positive thing though, it's like going from 3G to LTE which is by all means -welcome.

For more info regarding 2Ku additions, there is a sweet master thread put together by @BostonPlanesAndTrains and @N515CR big props for them on the effort. While it doesn't go fully in depth on the upgrades per fleet, it does, however, give you direct access to the planes that will be upgraded (and have been).

Hope I was of assistance.

And again, have a fantastic rest of your weekend.

All the best,

_NKCM
Thanks for all your comprehensive info. I was on flt 1446 on 4/17 SFO>ATL. If I can remember correctly it was an A320.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Thanks for all your comprehensive info. I was on flt 1446 on 4/17 SFO>ATL. If I can remember correctly it was an A320.
It was an A321, N309DN, which you flew on, and I don't know if any of these birds have been equipped with K2u WiFi yet.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by audidudi
It was an A321, N309DN, which you flew on, and I don't know if any of these birds have been equipped with K2u WiFi yet.
Thanks all. Is it Ku or 2Ku?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Thanks all. Is it Ku or 2Ku?
My bad! It is of course 2Ku!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by audidudi
My bad! It is of course 2Ku!
FWIW I was also flying international NRT <> ATL on the same itinerary on a global access pass and the internet quality was fairly good on satellite. Except for some dead areas over Japan and Canada, I was able to stream Sirius radio (not possible w/ ATG) but not able to access YouTube, Slingbox, or Netflix. I guess I'm just jealous of those airlines that have Ka band with ViaSat allowing video streaming for free. But all things considered, I'll stick with the onboard entertainment and download websites to keep in touch in the long haul.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
FWIW I was also flying international NRT <> ATL on the same itinerary on a global access pass and the internet quality was fairly good on satellite. Except for some dead areas over Japan and Canada, I was able to stream Sirius radio (not possible w/ ATG) but not able to access YouTube, Slingbox, or Netflix. I guess I'm just jealous of those airlines that have Ka band with ViaSat allowing video streaming for free. But all things considered, I'll stick with the onboard entertainment and download websites to keep in touch in the long haul.
Delta is really at a major disadvantage(and those using GoGo). The limited time I used SW was streaming stuff and it was great.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Delta is really at a major disadvantage(and those using GoGo). The limited time I used SW was streaming stuff and it was great.
Have you tried 2Ku yet!? It's amazing. The international fleet has regular Ku I believe, but you can get 2Ku on a good amount of 319s (as well as the other aircraft mentioned above). 2Ku is still by GoGo, but it is a HUGE improvement over the old ATG network. Streaming works great.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by live5
Have you tried 2Ku yet!? It's amazing. The international fleet has regular Ku I believe, but you can get 2Ku on a good amount of 319s (as well as the other aircraft mentioned above). 2Ku is still by GoGo, but it is a HUGE improvement over the old ATG network. Streaming works great.
Guess I have not experienced it yet.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
I don't think I have experienced it either. Go-go service these days is uniformly awful, but at least they now post a message saying the system is clogged up and slow when you sign in. We really aren't getting what we are payng for. But for some reason this board never gets too worked up about it.

Same "poor service" message last week on AS, it isn't just Delta.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:24 am

If I can't load the Delta page I know I am on a flight with poor service and don't waste my money. As a result, I have saved a lot of money since I can't recall the last time I bothered to buy

And I tried on a flight to Madrid last month, if that's 'upgraded' I was not impressed!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have tried 2KU and its amazing compared to the old system! My biggest issue with GoGo is that its not gate to gate. on United and SW Wifi was gate to gate (Though on United, it was just streaming gate to gate, internet was above 10k feet) - I wish GoGo would offer gate to gate - at least for streaming.

Any plans for CRJ900s/ERJ170(5) getting 2ku ? I end up a lot of them on MSP->ORD/MDW and GoGo can be slow as molasses.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Whats bogus is you get that high demand message after you've paid for the session... so your only recourse at that point is to chat with gogo and complain and they just might give a free code for next time, when you can get the message again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.