Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Help - live IRROP - award ticket partial refund question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help - live IRROP - award ticket partial refund question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jrl767
no offense intended; just trying to be realistic ... YOU as the displaced traveler were offered the next available flight to your destination, but opted not to accept it; YOU as the displaced traveler received the customer service gesture of 5000 miles; your aunt, who generously used her miles for your ticket, got nothing, because your as-flown trip cost the same as the as-ticketed trip

that last said, it's entirely possible that HOU-ATL could have been pricing a level or two higher than HOU-ATL-TYS, in which case the "correct" response you're so assiduously seeking from DL would have been to take the additional miles from her account ... let's just say I'm reasonably sure this thread would have taken an entirely different tone had that happened
Incorrect. I was auto rebooked to another airport. Not reticketed so I could not check in.

When I received the error at check in, I called DL. They said the next available flight to my original destination was half a day away. Agent said I could rebook or request a refund.

I confirmed at this time that if I requested a refund or cancelled ATL-TYS, would I in any case owe MORE miles? If so, I told the agent I would have her rebook me.

She put me on hold, checked with supervisor, and assured me that no more miles would be owed, and that miles would likely be refunded. Hence my decision to continue the trip myself, to arrive sooner, given DL clearly communicated there would not be additional miles due. I was upfront about this and verified this with DL before proceeding, so no need for the conversation here to have taken a turn such as you suggest.

According to the agent and her supervisor, with IRROPs and ticket reissuing errors, a partial refund is due that is not based solely on redemption levels. They said only a special desk calculates this, but that they are so backed up they are not providing estimates anymore. Just taking submissions and wait for the result.

I was curious if anyone here had an IRROPs award ticket and submitted a request via this desk, and how they calculated a refund (if any) due.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:41 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
I would leave well enough at this point as you run the risk of coming out with nothing and having DL treat the whole thing as, if not a fraud, an attempt to manipulate the SM system and that's not a good place because DL can simply boot you out of SM.
WOW!!!

Where do you get such completely OUTRAGEOUS ideas from? The Kid is just inquiring as to the correct amount of a refund that's due, not trying to manipulate or scam the SkyMiles system! Nothing different than what most average consumers would do! You shouldn't be scaring people like that!

That said, I don't know what the correct resolution should be - maybe for DL to have paid reasonable expenses to get him to his destination, since that was the original deal, but, IMO, the fact that it costs the same amount of miles to the connecting airport as to the destination airport shouldn't even enter the conversation, since, the OP had no interest in going there in the first place. The discussion should be about getting from airport A to airport C, not airport B.

Last edited by davetravels; Apr 23, 2017 at 1:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.