Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Award ticket fee for PM/DM where ticket is for someone else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:43 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent

Hi all,

I searched our threads regarding award ticket redeposit/reissue fees and didn't see this explicit answer, and in the spirit of Flyertalk, I am asking before I make a transaction I may not be able to back out of.

I am a DM, and my mom is an FO -- if I redeem miles from my account for her to travel, does the award ticket fee waiver still apply to that ticket?

I assume it does based on Delta's wording from their website. But again, want to make sure.

Conversely, if my mom redeems miles from her account for me, I'm assuming the award ticket redeposit fee would not be waived since she's not PM/DM.

Thanks!

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...vice-fees.html

1Waived for Award Tickets redeemed from a Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members' account.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Correct. What matters is the status of the person from whose account the miles were redeemed, at the time of the redeposit.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Can confirm that yes, it's the status of the account that matters. I booked a mileage ticket for our in-laws who later had to cancel. I redeposited the miles with no issue. (As a side note, I booked the ticket for them when I was a GM; I canceled the ticket when I was a PM - it's the status of the account the miles are coming from and the status of the account at the time of the action being requested that matter).
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
Correct. What matters is the status of the person from whose account the miles were redeemed, at the time of the redeposit.
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Can confirm that yes, it's the status of the account that matters. I booked a mileage ticket for our in-laws who later had to cancel. I redeposited the miles with no issue. (As a side note, I booked the ticket for them when I was a GM; I canceled the ticket when I was a PM - it's the status of the account the miles are coming from and the status of the account at the time of the action being requested that matter).
Thanks guys!

Yes -- this corroborates with the information I found when searching -- it's the status of the account at the time of the redeposit, not when ticketing.

Appreciate the help!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
I love this rule- when someone in the family is flying but not sure exactly what date, I get two award tickets and later cancel one. Great bennie, IMO.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orca15
I love this rule- when someone in the family is flying but not sure exactly what date, I get two award tickets and later cancel one. Great bennie, IMO.
Yes -- I recall there was a policy change because too many PMs/DMs were holding low-level award space without intending to fly them, which was a problem especially given it restricts access to them for people who actually are intending to travel.

That being said, I've found that the award ticket redeposit fee waiver has arguably one of the most valuable elite benefits given that my family and I have to plan our travel out quite far in advance, and I can book tickets without solidifying plans--normally 85% of the time we end of keeping the tickets, but there have been a few times where we have to shift a day or two, where the fee waiver has come in very handy. ^
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bj27
Yes -- I recall there was a policy change because too many PMs/DMs were holding low-level award space without intending to fly them, which was a problem especially given it restricts access to them for people who actually are intending to travel.
That was the poor marketing excuse to 'justify' the change to the 72hr cancellation deadline. They claim that too many were holding low level tickets and canceling last minute, and that be changing this it would open up more low level availability. That didn't really happen.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:45 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by rylan
That was the poor marketing excuse to 'justify' the change to the 72hr cancellation deadline. They claim that too many were holding low level tickets and canceling last minute, and that be changing this it would open up more low level availability. That didn't really happen.
There was also a short period of time where the benefit was limited to something like 2 uses per year. I think that may have been shortly before the DL-NW merger.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Oh yeah, forgot about that limit way back then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.