Search

Upgrade priority question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Upgrade priority question

Hello,

With all the recent rule changes (companions clearing, award tickets, etc) I wanted to see if I had this straight for an upcoming flight.

I am a PM + reserve holder and will be flying with one non-status companion on domestic (non transcon) award tickets.

If I have read this correctly, award tickets are now eligible for medallion upgrade. Also, I think companions now clear at the higher tier.

So, am I correct that we will both be upgraded after any PM's and their companions on revenue tickets, but before any non-reserve holding PM's on award tickets and definitely before any GMs?

Also, will we both be eligible for C+ upgrade at booking?

I've read several versions of this and couldn't seem to get a clear answer. Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, that's about it (assuming you are on same PNR). If you wish to be upgraded together to F, make sure you check-in yourself and companion together at the same time.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Thanks very much!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:39 pm

Is it known whether award tickets are above or below paid tickets on the upgrade list?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:35 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Widgets
Is it known whether award tickets are above or below paid tickets on the upgrade list?
I'm not sure I've seen a reliable source that confirms this, however, it raises another point, not all award tickets are the same, one might believe that someone with a Tier 2 award ticket would be upgraded ahead of someone with a Tier 1 award ticket, so if that is the case the Reserve Card is only a tie-breaker for other PM's with the same Tier award tickets. I don't know if that is the case, one would think it may be ...
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by Widgets
If you're asking purely "N" class versus a revenue class (YBMSHKQ etc...)..

I believe N falls after any revenue ticket, at least in my experience. I've only flow 2-3 award tickets lately where I've been on the UG list for F, and it would appear that I fall lower than I normally do.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:35 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
The current wording doesn't spell it out, but previous versions of the web site explicitly listed awards after revenue, for example:

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/201...-upgrades.html

Name:  Screenshot.png
Views: 706
Size:  42.4 KB
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I've been wondering the same thing. It certainly used to be that award tickets, even a DM, were upgraded after FO paid tickets.

However, we are flying this weekend and we were upgraded at the PM window (my spouse is PM).
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:03 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I've been wondering the same thing. It certainly used to be that award tickets, even a DM, were upgraded after FO paid tickets.
How long ago was this? Last March I had an award trip where some segments cleared at the DM window (i.e. before a FO ticket would even be eligible), as well as at the gate, and from my positions on the lists it definitely seems like I was above lower Medallions' paid tickets:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post26362781
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:26 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC

However, we are flying this weekend and we were upgraded at the PM window (my spouse is PM).
If that used to be the case (which I'm not sure of), I don't have any reason to believe that is the case anymore once they made the change that Medallion level is factor #1 (i.e., when they eliminated the priority for Y/B fares regardless of status level).
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
This seems to be quite current since it refers April 6, 2017 changes.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html

One factor that is new to me is that the AmEx MQD waiver is now a factor in upgrade priority, albeit fairly far down the list.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: AA EXP / CX DM
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A DM traveling solo on an award ticket has always been ahead of PM, GM, and SM's on revenue tickets. There has been no change there. There have been two recent changes for Medallions with companions. First, last October they allowed a Medallion and non-Medallion to upgrade together at the same level on revenue tickets (if on the same PNR). However, if you were together on an award reservation, neither would be eligible for an upgrade (Medallion could still get upgraded solo by splitting res).

Another change that was made last October was to allow Silver's to upgrade on award tickets. Previously, only Gold's and higher were eligible. So, if you had two Medallions (of any level) on the same award ticket, you would get upgraded at the higher Medallion's status level.

More recently, on April 6th, Medallions and non-Medallions are now eligible to be upgraded at the same level on award tickets when on the same PNR. I believe if you check-in separately, the Medallion will be upgraded solo if there is only one seat left. If you check-in together, neither will be upgraded if there is only one seat left. Although you can later request the solo upgrade from the gate agent if the seat is still available.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 22, 2017 at 5:58 am
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
A DM traveling solo on an award ticket has always been ahead of PM, GM, and SM's on revenue tickets. There has been no change there.
I guess I was wrong. I seem to recall that award tickets were upgraded like companions used to be, at the bottom of the pack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.