Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upset Woman Gets Kicked off Delta Plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upset Woman Gets Kicked off Delta Plane

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta PM
I still want to know who her mother is!! (see video at 7:18)
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
WOW!

What happens if it later turns out that the GA was wrong and the customer experienced unrecoverable consequences, such as missing last moments with a loved one? Would the passenger then be allowed to hang the GA if the GA removed the passenger to make room for some nonrev buddy to go on vacation or even some airline executive to attend a meeting or lobby in Washington?
If the airline ask you to leave their plane, you MUST leave... period.
You can ask why....

But to do a "NO", it is YOUR responsibility and the consequence of it.

In any case the result will be the same... you will be take off.
I agree with you, it will not be funny to be put in this situation...

But, in ANY case ... it is better to argue outside the plane than inside.

If you have any problem the reason they take you out or the reason you must stay in the plane, you have legal right (in case of unrecoverable consequences from your side), take them in court...

I think it is a line not to cross as pax, to ask why you must go out the plane is one thing (or try to make them change their decision on a polite and calm way).

BUT if you are at the point the captain come and ask you to leave the plane ... you must get off... period.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by OHDL1
LOL...wonder who won that argument?
We waited for the passengers who's flights were late and we were maybe five minutes late leaving. The captain was being a drama queen. We were the last flight of the night to ORD so I'm sure the late passengers appreciated it.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
Why not establish some easy "rules".
If they ask you nicely to get off the plane:
- You MUST get off... What happen after is to see (rerouting, compensation, ...)
- If you refuse to get off...
1 - Your ticket is "cancel" , and not refund...
2- NO compensation... period...
3- Put your name on the NO flight list anymore (and give your name/info.. to other airlineS...)
4- If they must deplane because you refuse to get off, YOU are responsable of all cost related to this.....
5- Jail you 24/48h...

After this happen 2 or 3 times on the news (and for pax to see the cost to deplane).
I think the number of "incidents", will drop very much....

Umm, if this were the case, incidents of having pax removed from planes would increase dramatically. I find it disturbing that anyone could even support such a dictatorial stance.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Grog
Umm, if this were the case, incidents of having pax removed from planes would increase dramatically. I find it disturbing that anyone could even support such a dictatorial stance.
+1
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Cruss74
I wouldn't compare Dr. Dao to these other drunk/unruly passengers. He was just sitting in his seat minding his own business.
Until he refused to leave. After that it doesn't really matter if he were drunk or not.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
When they start making phones that can be comfortably and inconspicuously held that way.
You turn it 90 degrees. Did I really just have to explain that?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:29 pm

Yes there's a big difference, starting with the fact that according to its own CoC, UA did not have grounds to remove Dr. Dao from the aircraft. There was no cause that made him unsuitable for travel and he had obeyed all the rules about checking in and boarding on time.
Except that the flight was overbooked by the must-ride crew. Overbooking is most definitely covered in CoCs. See Rule 25 in UA's CoC.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...Mobile=1#sec25

To be clear, I'm not saying UA handled this appropriately (they did not, they should have just offered more $, instead of creating a confrontation), but they did follow the CoC (ask for volunteers, then remove by prio).
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:59 pm

I don't think the definition of the flight being oversold necessarily applies though. From the same UA CoC:
"Oversold Flight means a flight where there are more Passengers holding valid confirmed Tickets that check-in for the flight within the prescribed check-in time than there are available seats."
At the point where they decided to boot 4 people, the flight was not oversold. That had already been resolved by volunteers. They then decided they needed to evict four more people to accommodate other personnel after boarding. Three agreed, Dao did not. I do not think they are going to try to defend this on the basis that the flight was oversold. In fact, they will likely have to defend themselves against charges of aggravated assault and battery committed by their agents - in this case the thugs they called to carry out their assault resulting in a concussion and other serious injuries.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: W/P1.9MM & Charter+ DL Diamond 2.15MM, AA EXP 1.95MM, AS MVP .6MM, O/P .9MM, A/C & S/C
Oversold.

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Except that the flight was overbooked by the must-ride crew. Overbooking is most definitely covered in CoCs. See Rule 25 in UA's CoC.

To be clear, I'm not saying UA handled this appropriately (they did not, they should have just offered more $, instead of creating a confrontation), but they did follow the CoC (ask for volunteers, then remove by prio).
I strongly disagree with all of the "claims/excuses" that the flight was "Oversold". If you click on the above link, and then scroll up to the alphabetized definitions section, United defines "Oversold Flight" as

"Oversold flight meas a flight where there are more Passengers holding valid confirmed Tickets that check in for the flight within the prescribed check in time then there are available seats."

United further defines "Minimum check in time for domestic flights with no checked baggage as 30 Minutes prior to scheduled departure time."

Since the 4 Crew Members failed to meet the prescribed check in time, an "oversold flight" did not exist as per United's C of C.

That should be the end of discussion about trying to label this incident as an "oversold flight" incident.

The continued misuse of "oversold flight" by United, and subsequently picked up and continuously by the media only obfuscates the real problem which was created by the lack of of planning on the part of the 4 crew members/dispatch and should not have created an last minute "emergency" situation for the gate agent, with the resulting situation going to "Hell in a hand basket!"

Lets call this what it really was a breakdown in communications which led to a totally mismanaged handling of the situation.

I can't wait to hear what Munoz has to say on April 30th
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Why is this thread being sullied by mentioning that other airline and their failings?

Apples and oranges

Dr. Dao was not histrionic and shouting obscenities while walking up and down the aisle- this woman was, yet it was handled way better.

Even though the woman's rant was quite entertaining, she deservedly got the boot.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

True, but according to the CoC, overbooking can be dealt with using VDBs/IDBs, which couldn't happen as every one of the customers was already boarded. The rules for removal of passengers from a flight, according to the UA CoC, require cause other than an oversold flight.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 24, 2017 at 6:45 am Reason: Correcting autocorrect
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
True, but according to the CoC, overbooking can be dealt with using VDBs/IDBs, which couldn't happen as everyone of the customers was already boarded. The rules for removal of passengers from a flight, according to the UA CoC, require cause other than an oversold flight.
This is exactly the issue and why UA and the ORD popo are going to be shelling out a ton of money.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by Grog
Easy to complain...

What you propose ????
Old May 15, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
... had to fill out incident paperwork...ended up taking an hour delay because of the jagoff.
Dead giveaway that you're a yinzer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.