Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC In Premium Cabin Changed Again?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:23 am
Original Poster

SDC In Premium Cabin Changed Again?

Called to SDC from the 10:30 PM SAN-ATL-XXX to the 6:15 AM SAN-LAX-ATL-XXX.

I had two supervisors tell me that the LAX-ATL segment wasn't available because it was a "C" fare rather than an "A" fare.

One sup. started off telling me it was because my A fare wasn't a real 1st class fare and that I actually had to have an A to make the change.

The other said it was because "A" is domestic and "C" is international.

I finally gave up and got the second agent to change me to a flight with all domestic fare classes.

I wanted the new routing because 1. It gave me the extra leg room of a lie flat seat and I've got a bum knee (torn MCL) could use the ability to stretch out. 2. The SDC was so I could get to my ultimate destination on the same day and get to sleep in a real bed rather than doze on the plane and arrive the next day...(I'm still accomplishing that...but in a bulkhead window seat) 3. A few extra MQMs never hurt anybody.

My question for all the experts here relates to what the supervisors said. Am I correct that I should have been put on my first choice?

The language on the DL website is pretty clear...there just needs to be a seat in the premium cabin. Has something changed that requires a new interpretation of that language?

And, yes, there were seats available.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depending on XXX, the routing may have been invalid for your fare. For many destinations from SAN, a double connect results in a broken fare when pricing.

"D. The new flight(s) must be for the same origin/destination; a change from nonstop to
connecting flights is allowed only if the connecting point is permitted based on the fare rules;"

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 18, 2017 at 2:13 am
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Depending on XXX, the routing may have been invalid for your fare. For many destinations from SAN, a double connect results in a broken fare when pricing.
That, I could understand.

But, that was not what I was told. I was told specifically (twice) that it had to do with fare class.

You may well be correct. GSP is the final destination, fwiw.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Nothing has changed. Just the same uninformed DL agents not knowing the rules.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:52 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
A is a front cabin inventory bucket for flights marketed with "First Class" and C is a front cabin inventory bucket for flights marketed with "Business Class" -- but none of that should matter when doing a SDC on a domestic itinerary. The two are used interchangeably for domestic flights.

Some LAX-ATL flights are marketed with "First Class" and a handful are marketed with "Business Class." Any of those flights, regardless of how marketed, should be eligible for SDC.

If the routing from SAN to GSP does not allow connections at LAX, that could deny the change. But per the OP, the supervisor did not quote that as the reason.

What is frustrating is that when you buy a ticket from the website, there is no way to know what routings are, or are not, allowed.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
No change

See: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...l-changes.html
When You Need to Change Your Flight
Eligibility

• You can use the same-day confirmed option for travel within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection® flights.
  • You may request a same-day flight change within 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight; however changes are limited to flights departing on the same day of ticketed departure.
  • If you have a flexible fare (usually a refundable ticket), you may be able to change your itinerary without a fee.
  • If you have an Economy fare, you can only be rebooked in the same fare class as your original flight.
  • If you have a premium cabin fare, -- including Delta One™, First and Business Class -- you may make a same-day confirmed change as long as a seat is available in the premium cabin.
  • If you are traveling in Delta Comfort+ on a W fare, you may make a same-day confirmed change as long as a seat is available in Delta Comfort+. If there is not a seat available in Delta Comfort+, you may be eligible to Same Day Confirm in a Main Cabin seat in some circumstances.
  • Award Tickets are same-day confirmed eligible.
  • Origin, destination or co-terminal (LGA to JFK) changes are not same-day confirmed eligible.
  • Same-Day Confirmed changes from connection to non-stop flights are not permitted.
  • Basic Economy fares (E) are not eligible for same-day confirmed travel changes.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I recently SDC'd from a flight marketed as business to first. It was mentioned by the agent that it took a bit longer to perform the change due to fare classes, but it was still done. On the phone for about 10 minutes.

What was a pain was my original class was I, changed to F, but I received no class of service MQM bonus and had to submit a missing miles form.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by tkey75
I recently SDC'd from a flight marketed as business to first. It was mentioned by the agent that it took a bit longer to perform the change due to fare classes, but it was still done. On the phone for about 10 minutes.

What was a pain was my original class was I, changed to F, but I received no class of service MQM bonus and had to submit a missing miles form.
Are you saying you didn't get the 150% bonus for your original I class ticket or that you didn't get the 200% bonus for the F class reissue? I would think you would only be eligible for the 150% I class bonus.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Renes Points
[*]If you have a premium cabin fare, -- including Delta One™, First and Business Class -- you may make a same-day confirmed change as long as a seat is available in the premium cabin.
[/LIST]
Still unresolved is whether this waives the requirement that the SDC involves a permitted connecting point as specified in the fare rules. This SDC requirement is mentioned in the Contract of Carriage (as quoted above in Rule 255, Section III.D).
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The next time an agent tells you C is for international flights, ask them when California or Georgia seceded.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:35 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Renes Points
you may make a same-day confirmed change as long as a seat is available in the premium cabin.
OK, SDC experts . . . .

I'm flying back from PEK next week. I have an overnite in LA, and I'm anticipating a problem as follows:

I'm on a V fare already upgraded to "RP" via a GUC flying LAX/MSP/PIT. I'm anticipating wanting to change it to: LAX/JFK/PIT. I know, in theory, I should be able to change it "as long as a seat is available in the premium cabin..

Now, the fun part:

When I look at certain flights (via EF) from LAX/JFK/PIT, EF shows J0 on the first segment, but, when I look at LAX/JFK by itself for the same flights, it'll show J6 or J7.

So, a seat is DEFINITELY available in the premium cabin, but, married segment logic is goofing it up.

Any thoughts I can bring up when I call the DM hotline at T-23 hours??

Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
To the OP, it requires a manual reissue which is more effort so some agents may not want to bother when changing the classes like that or doing flights that don't automatically pop up as options from the computer system. What you are trying to do should be allowed though. The C is just because the flight number continues on as international, but you are only interested in the domestic segment.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
OK, SDC experts . . . .
When I look at certain flights (via EF) from LAX/JFK/PIT, EF shows J0 on the first segment, but, when I look at LAX/JFK by itself for the same flights, it'll show J6 or J7.

So, a seat is DEFINITELY available in the premium cabin, but, married segment logic is goofing it up.

Any thoughts I can bring up when I call the DM hotline at T-23 hours??

This one is tricky, since you are using a cert and from an international flight, but luckily it is already confirmed into RP and is the last domestic segments. I believe you do need the married segments to be available even though you are staying on the same JFK-PIT segment. Otherwise they'd need to overbook the cabin to get the new flight before taking you off the original ones.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by rylan
This one is tricky, since you are using a cert and from an international flight, but luckily it is already confirmed into RP and is the last domestic segments. I believe you do need the married segments to be available even though you are staying on the same JFK-PIT segment. Otherwise they'd need to overbook the cabin to get the new flight before taking you off the original ones.
He is not staying on the same JFK-PIT, he's currently routing via MSP.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The last couple times I tried to do a SDC on a domestic of an international ticket after all of the international segments had been flown, I was told that this needed to be done at the international gateway airport, obviously after arrival and CBP processing. Even when the airport agents weren't aware of the rules, DM phone people (at least several of them, including supervisors) told me that they couldn't touch the ticket, only someone in the airport.

Good luck and of course please report back.

OTOH, I'm sorry to hear that you prefer JFK over MSP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.