Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Don't mind losing 5000 miles, can I just cancel with no fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Dear Forum,
I don't fly Delta much and tried to search the answer to this but could not find an answer.

I booked a short hop DCA to RDU for 5,000 miles that I can't take. Should I call them and let them know or just don't show up?

I don't want to pay the $300 fee. The date is greater than 72 hours.

Thank you!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It's $150. However yes that's a bit much to pay to get 5000 miles back.

I'd wait and see if there's a schedule change that allows for a free refund. Even a change in DL connection operating carrier qualifies.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

There's been a five minute change.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You get a free cancel (with full refund of miles and money) until midnight tonight if you purchased the ticket at any time yesterday or today since you're more than 72 hours before departure. To do this, you need to call.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:36 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
How about a change of operating carrier ie: Endeavor to SkyWest, or similar?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
I'd just call. You may catch a CSR in a generous mood. It's not worth paying a fee to get 5,000 miles back. That said, if they won't give you your miles back for free, just keep the rez and see if something happens (like schedule change or IRROPS) that might entitle you to a refund.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SW (former) A-list
I was in this situation last month, called and they just redeposited the miles for me as a courtesy. Try it!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
How about a change of operating carrier ie: Endeavor to SkyWest, or similar?
I had a fight recently with one of these changes. DL claims that there's no box to check, although they admit that mainline to DL Connection or vv is entitled to a refund.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the replies!

I called and here is what they offered. Could redeposit the miles for 1/2 off ($75.00 fee) OR could rebook travel with no change fees provided I complete trip by Jan. 31, 2018 (one year after I booked).

Took the later. Finding another Delta award at 5,000 miles may be impossible though she did say I could use additional miles if needed from my account.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
A fair (fare?) resolution.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by flyingmontana
I was in this situation last month, called and they just redeposited the miles for me as a courtesy. Try it!
Yes, but according to your profile, you are Delta Platinum. You get free redeposits. No questions (as long as it is more than 72 hours prior to departure).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.