Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using credit for cancelled international ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:29 am
Original Poster

I may have to cancel an upcoming international flight (MCO to LHR) . As I understand it I would have a year from the date I purchased the ticket to use the credit remaining after the fees. And it would have to be used on another international flight. My question is would Mexico or the Caribbean count for "international" in this instance? I doubt I will be able to go to Europe before this credit expires.

Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I may have to cancel an upcoming international flight (MCO to LHR) . As I understand it I would have a year from the date I purchased the ticket to use the credit remaining after the fees. And it would have to be used on another international flight. My question is would Mexico or the Caribbean count for "international" in this instance? I doubt I will be able to go to Europe before this credit expires.

Thanks!
Why does it have to be used for an int'l flight? Just needs to be used for a flight, or flights, that you can ticket on 006 ticket stock.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Why does it have to be used for an int'l flight? Just needs to be used for a flight, or flights, that you can ticket on 006 ticket stock.
There can be restrictions when using tickets that are international for wholly domestic tickets. Though I do believe the problem is more in reverse.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

I don't know for sure that I do have to use it for international. Years ago I had to cancel an international flight and apparently was only supposed to be able to use the credit on another international flight. Since the phone agent didn't tell me this I was able to get Delta to let me use the credit for domestic but have assumed that I would have the same type of restrictions on this.

My concern is that Delta seems to treat Mexico/Caribbean and "semi-international" Since I don't know for sure if I need to cancel and Delta is still digging out of last weeks mess I didn't want to tie up the phone lines with a "what if" question!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There can be restrictions when using tickets that are international for wholly domestic tickets.
This, and in general, those conditions also say that the credit can only be used for the same or a higher fare. In other words, if your credit is $1,000 and you find a replacing flight for $800, they will charge you the next closest available fare over $1,000. Have run into this several times, and each time it pissed me off to no end, even though I was traveling on OPM; it just feels like a slimy way of doing business.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
I have had to do this a couple times and there was no restriction on what kind of fare I could book with it.

For some reason they don't put this in your wallet and you have to call in to have them rebook your flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.