Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Known Traveler number & TSA Precheck issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Poster

My last 4 flights in a row on Delta I have not received TSA PreCheck on completion of online check-in (prior to this, over a period of about 10 years, I was denied precheck about 1 of every 10-12 checkins).
For each of these last 4 flights I arrived at the airport and asked the airport desk agent to check the record and re-enter the number. Each time they found my known traveler number on the current flight record was different from my actual number, and did not match the known traveler number correctly stored in my Delta profile (I checked this each time after failing to get precheck).
Once they re-entered the number, no problems - TSA Precheck was granted and I got a paper boarding pass - which I normally never use.

I sent a complaint to Delta via the online form and suggested the Delta IT investigate but given past experience I'm not hopeful for a quick response or fix.

For context I'm a PM, have been using TSA PreCheck and Global Entry for about 10 years and have probably flown about 150 to 200 Delta flights in that time.

Anyone else experiencing this? suggestions?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
The closest experience I have to this is when I updated my profile on delta.com to change my work telephone number, it also deleted my KTN.

I found out when I didn't get pre-check two flights in a row, thankfully in fairly short wait situations. After double checking, I found the number removed in my profile.

Now I'm paranoid, and if I change my profile contact info, I always go back and re-enter my KTN too.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Not excactly the same but I got this pop-up this week, suddenly my name was different:

Delta Profile and Secure Flight Name Update

The passenger name in your Delta profile is required to be the same as the Secure Flight full name provided to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) when booking reservations. We have detected your name may need to be updated. Please choose one of the following options to ensure the name in your profile is your full name exactly as it appears on the government-issued identification that you present at the airport when traveling.

1. blah blah

After updating my profile i noticed my KTN was missing..
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

thanks for responses, sounds like Delta has some sort of IT issue with profiles that might be affecting KTN.
Sent a complaint to Delta, no response yet - I'll continue to watch this on my upcoming flights
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Is there any chance that any other field does not exactly match the fields associated with your KTN? Even an extra period?

Does your DL profile match the name associated with your KTN character-for-character? If not, it's worth having it cleaned out, saved, and then reentered.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Has precheck been around 10 years already?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by apodo77
Has precheck been around 10 years already?
I was going to say it's been 5 years at most but then I googled it. It will turn 4 this fall.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yohanson
I was going to say it's been 5 years at most but then I googled it. It will turn 4 this fall.
That's the one where you sign up with the TSA itself. That's useful for people who don't have a passport, don't have a NEXUS or GE signup site that's convenient for them to get to, or who can't meet the screening requirements of the other programs. Wikipedia says the Übermenschen program has existed since 2011 for frequent flyers or trusted traveler program members. I've had NEXUS since early 2004, and it entitled me to GE whenever that started, or started to be associated with NEXUS, and entitled me to skip the Shoe Carnival once that got started and I realized I was an Übermensch.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yohanson
It was launched in Oct 2011, so it has been around 5 1/2 years.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
That's the one where you sign up with the TSA itself. That's useful for people who don't have a passport, don't have a NEXUS or GE signup site that's convenient for them to get to, or who can't meet the screening requirements of the other programs. Wikipedia says the Übermenschen program has existed since 2011 for frequent flyers or trusted traveler program members. I've had NEXUS since early 2004, and it entitled me to GE whenever that started, or started to be associated with NEXUS, and entitled me to skip the Shoe Carnival once that got started and I realized I was an Übermensch.
I'm confused. NEXUS/GE didn't get you to skip the shoe carnival before Precheck existed. Precheck is still the TSA program, they just allow NEXUS/GE members to use it without a separate fee/application.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm confused. NEXUS/GE didn't get you to skip the shoe carnival before Precheck existed. Precheck is still the TSA program, they just allow NEXUS/GE members to use it without a separate fee/application.
My post appeared before LBJ's; LBJ pointed out that it started in October 2011, which is what I found when I looked it up. What Yohanson must have been thinking of, is being able to do the application just for the TSA. This started in 2013. I was saying that I had been a NEXUS member since 2004, and then as soon as the TSA started with the Übermenschen program, I was an Übermensch, and as soon as I actually FIGURED OUT that I was an Übermensch, I was able to use the special Übermenschen lane and skip the Shoe Carnival. This was before the fall of 2013; I think I was using it SEA-JFK from about the middle of 2012 onward, and then I think they opened it up in JFK T2 and T4 right after the T4 expansion opened.

For the first couple of years, there WAS no application just for the TSA program.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Update on this issue after talking with Delta Tech Support:

First of all meant to say in original post I have been a Nexus/GE member since about 2005, and this allowed me to use TSA pre-check since it's inception with Nexus/GE credentials...

Anyway - spoke with Delta tech support yesterday and it turns out that all of my future bookings with Delta (3 separate trips) had the incorrect KTN in their records as well (my Delta profile KTN remains correct). Same problem as my last 4 flights.

They updated these future trips with the correct KTN while I was on the line with them, and I asked them to tell me what the incorrect number was in the record - it was a nine digit number that I didn't recognize (at first). They had no idea how the number got in there, though I suspect someone in Delta IT could look at change logs or something and figure it out.

While I was on hold as Delta puzzled over this, I checked my travel ID's, and it turns out the incorrect number is actually my green card ID number (called the USCIS number) from my US permanent resident card. I'm a Canadian citizen, US resident (for last 15 years).
How it got in there they have no idea, the support person told me "Delta does not capture this at any time". Really Delta???
In response I asked him what exactly do Delta (or whoever is checking in on Delta's behalf) check-in agents outside the US actually do then when I hand them my green card and passport every time I check in for my return flights back to the US?
They scan or type something in every time I check in - I've never actually asked what they are doing... I've probably handed that card/passport over 40 times in the last 10 years

What happened in the last month or two that has caused this problem to crop up is a mystery - makes me wonder if some sort of new "enhanced" DHS screening procedure when flights are booked or check-in happens is catching me as a green card holder.

Until Delta or someone can figure it out my only solution is to call Delta prior to check-in and ensure KTN is correct, and/or check KTN again at airport... What a PITA
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
I wish they -did- capture green card numbers...in the correct field of course. I'm about 50% failure rate at the DIY kiosks when returning to the US because sometimes the check in agent uses my passport (German) and sometimes my green card as primary travel document. If they use passport, I'm in line for manual processing...

oh well, have my Global Entry interview next week, hopefully that will take that problem away...
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:33 am

Can't you check the KTN in your reservation on delta.com until 72 hours before departure?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottpat
They updated these future trips with the correct KTN while I was on the line with them, and I asked them to tell me what the incorrect number was in the record - it was a nine digit number that I didn't recognize (at first). They had no idea how the number got in there, though I suspect someone in Delta IT could look at change logs or something and figure it out.
Just speculating, but do you personally book all your flights on delta.com, or is there a TA/third-party involved in the process?

Note that each reservation has a "SECURE FLIGHT PASSENGER DATA & CONTACT INFORMATION" section on delta.com where you review/correct the KTN information for that specific reservation (so you do not need to call DL to correct it).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.