Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Intl-Intl connection at NRT on JAL and DL, need to go landside?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA

I'm flying BOS-NRT on JAL, then NRT-GUM on DL (two separate tickets). Since DL seems to refuse to interline bags nowadays, will I have to go landside to get my bag and re-check it with DL, or do you collect your bag prior to immigration/customs like in the US and find a transfer desk? I should have a 3 hour connection so time hopefully won't be a factor, but I'd rather avoid going through entry and exit immigration and customs if at all possible. I'm DL plat if it helps.

ps: I would normally fly all Delta, but, my choices were:
bos-nrt nonstop on a 8 abreast 787, transfer to DL Guam flight (1 stop, travel time 21 hours)
Bos-nrt-gum all on DL....777 or 747 economy, 2 stops (ATL or DTW), 29 hours travel time)
Loyalty isn't going to overcome 8 extra hours and worse economy seating this time...

Last edited by tmapian; Apr 3, 2017 at 8:45 pm
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IF you were connecting from DL to JAL, this would be a change from T1 to T2 at NRT. There are infrequent airside buses, but to collect a checked bag you must first go through immigration to get to the baggage belts and then exit customs with the checked bag.

However, service is usually excellent in Asia, so you might be able to have the transfer desk find and retag your bag as the bag doesn't need to enter Japan and thus go through customs with you.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Ask at checkin in BOS. DAS interline policy only matters when you're checking bags in with them. In your case you'll be checking bags with JAL and most likely contract staff (unless AA handles it at BOS). They'll be very likely to tag it through, just be prepared to have proof of the confirmed fliggts/confirmation number for DL. (This is the PNR you see at DELTA.com)
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
most likely contract staff (unless AA handles it at BOS).
It may have changed, but last time I was there the JL desk was staffed by BA employees.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
BA tries to avoid interlining bags, so I wouldn't be very hopeful if they do ground handling for JAL at BOS.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BA tries to avoid interlining bags, so I wouldn't be very hopeful if they do ground handling for JAL at BOS.
Since OW eliminated the requirement to interline to even other OW carriers most have done away with it on separate tickets. However I believe JAL may still allow it. I would check with them, especially if BA handles checkin, as BA refuses to do it even with OW carriers anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.