Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will Delta waive award ticket redeposit fees for pre-Plat bookings when you hit Plat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Delta waive award ticket redeposit fees for pre-Plat bookings when you hit Plat?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

I see this footnote for the waived award ticket redeposit fee benefit:

(6) Waived for Award Tickets redeemed from a Diamond or Platinum Medallion member's account.

Does this mean that the tickets must have been booked when I was >= Plat to be waived for free? Or if I ask nicely will they do it when I hit Plat in mid-July? This is for a September ticket so there is plenty of time between when I hit Plat and the trip.

It isn't a ton of miles but I had to change some things up and have already booked something else that starts on that day.

FWIW I think based on that footnote I'll be ponying up $150 if I want those miles back, unless they are feeling generous that day.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I think status on date of transaction governs ... the transaction in question is the redeposit, so I suspect they aren't likely to charge the fee

I also think you'll get people with the opposite opinion weighing in, and you'll probably also see some anecdotal posts to support each

bottom line: there's really only one way to tell, and that's to call in after you hit Plat
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

I'm leaning this way too. I've had the reps do some rather generous things for me recently without asking (reinstated a companion cert for a trip I cancelled for non emergency reasons, which isn't even why I called!) so I think I have a shot at getting it waived.

Originally Posted by jrl767
I think status on date of transaction governs ... the transaction in question is the redeposit, so I suspect they aren't likely to charge the fee

I also think you'll get people with the opposite opinion weighing in, and you'll probably also see some anecdotal posts to support each

bottom line: there's really only one way to tell, and that's to call in after you hit Plat
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Status AT THE TIME OF AWARD TICKET CHANGE/CANCELLATION will be the factor.

In 2015 prior to hitting Platinum, I made some award bookings. I was able to re-deposit the miles for tickets for better options after crossing the PM threshold.

For the opposite, if you book a Skymiles ticket as a PM but then drop to GM or below and then try to cancel, you will likely incur the $150 redeposit fee (unless you get a sympathetic agent who is willing to waive it).
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jrl767

there are numerous reports of people booking award tix as GM or lower and then cancelling/redeposit for free as PM/DM later (I know, I am one of them ). I'm not aware of anyone who was denied this benefit. As you said, it is your status at the time of the event that matters.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
And conversely if you are PM/DM and drop to Gold or lower after booking the award ticket, don't think you can cancel for free after the downgrade in status.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Plat Amex
I was silver when I booked 3 award tix to Anchorage and busted my butt flying Delta to make it to Platinum because I suspected my hubbie might have to back out of the trip. He did not go and I made platinum in time to cancel his ticket, got my miles back and I have been flying Delta ever since. Alaska trip with my 2 boys was great too!

To get the miles back without penalty it does not matter what status you have when you book...only what status you have when you cancel

Last edited by Sailandfly; Mar 31, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.