Long layover at PVG

Old Mar 24, 17, 10:59 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 193
Long layover at PVG

So I ended booking a flight to Jeju City and the only option that Delta could book me on that met my travel dates was on China Eastern transiting at PVG. I was a bit surprised that Korean Airlines was not available--the mysteries of the booking algorithms I guess.

The layover on the outbound flight (LAX-PVG) is not too bad (about 4 hours). On the way back I have a longer layover at PVG (arrive 2:25 PM and depart 9:00 PM). The amenities appear to be pretty sparse at the airport. Any recommendations on how I should spend my time? It appears that I can access (Elite Plus & Reserve CC) the partner lounge located in Terminal 1. Is there a restaurant at the airport that is preferable? I've never been through PVG, so any feedback or tips is appreciated.

Incidentally, I was booked in the R fare code for LAX-PVG and M fare code for PVG-LAX. The R fare code is a little worrying because it looks like it only counts as 50% MQMs.
No_Name is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 12:13 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 18,675
Originally Posted by No_Name View Post
So I ended booking a flight to Jeju City and the only option that Delta could book me on that met my travel dates was on China Eastern transiting at PVG. I was a bit surprised that Korean Airlines was not available--the mysteries of the booking algorithms I guess.

The layover on the outbound flight (LAX-PVG) is not too bad (about 4 hours). On the way back I have a longer layover at PVG (arrive 2:25 PM and depart 9:00 PM). The amenities appear to be pretty sparse at the airport. Any recommendations on how I should spend my time? It appears that I can access (Elite Plus & Reserve CC) the partner lounge located in Terminal 1. Is there a restaurant at the airport that is preferable? I've never been through PVG, so any feedback or tips is appreciated.

Incidentally, I was booked in the R fare code for LAX-PVG and M fare code for PVG-LAX. The R fare code is a little worrying because it looks like it only counts as 50% MQMs.
Are these MU coded flight numbers? If so then R only earns 50% mileage, but 100% MQM. EQD are calculated at 10%.

If however the flights are DL coded, then they earn under the DL earnings.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 12:28 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,989
After you clear the security screening at T1, turn left. There is a lounge up the escalator. Your DL PM will get you in. The new lounge has two levels. It is big and has the usual shower, massage chairs, computers at the upper level. Hot food is at the lower level. Give the hot cooked noodles a try. They are delicious. Even has lockers for luggage storage which allows you to relax without worries of your luggage.
PayItForward is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 12:38 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: KUL/BOS
Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Posts: 342
The new MU lounge is pretty good, with huge lounge recliners and massage chairs on the second floor. Hot food is decent (I'm a fan of the noodles with spiced meat), but if you're looking for some southern Chinese fare there's a Tsui Wah cafe on the far right side of T1.
Enhancements is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 12:51 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Posts: 3,965
I had purposely built a 12 hour connection in PVG to visit friends and sight see. You can take the Maglev/subway combo into the city in under 40 minutes, depending on where you want to go in Shanghai.

Visit the observatory at Shanghai Tower, stroll the Bund, see some other Shanghai attractions for a few hours, eat some good eats.

Lots of options if you plan ahead.
luv2ctheworld is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 1:24 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OKC
Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Posts: 6,301
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...yover-pvg.html

A few of these posts might be of interest.
Xeno is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 7:57 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CAK/CLE
Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Gold
Posts: 273
As others have mentioned, the lounge is comfortable for a 4 hour layover ( which given ATC delays could shrink down ) and good to have a meal, shower, and regroup before your next flight.

The rest of the terminal, while modern looking, is pretty barren in terms of amenities. There is a quite large duty free store complex as you exit security but before the main concourse, 2 Starbucks, 2 Chinese restaurants, and a few smaller shops - but frankly transiting CLE you have more interesting options.

If you have the ability to do the 72 visa free entry, the recommendations to visit the city would probably be a good one with your longer return.
jmertic is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 9:11 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATL
Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,038
Yes to lounge. It's decent.

There are a few eateries(I've eaten at all non are great but decent stuff) and shops. 6ish hours during regular 'opening' time won't be too hard to deal with.
dinanm3atl is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 2:33 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,497
Originally Posted by jmertic View Post
As others have mentioned, the lounge is comfortable for a 4 hour layover ( which given ATC delays could shrink down ) and good to have a meal, shower, and regroup before your next flight.

The rest of the terminal, while modern looking, is pretty barren in terms of amenities. There is a quite large duty free store complex as you exit security but before the main concourse, 2 Starbucks, 2 Chinese restaurants, and a few smaller shops - but frankly transiting CLE you have more interesting options.

If you have the ability to do the 72 visa free entry, the recommendations to visit the city would probably be a good one with your longer return.
Everyone seems to be able to get the 24 hour TWOV, so going into the city isn't a problem.

OP could even leave the airport briefly during the four hour connection if everything is on time that day, for example for a stroll along the Bund.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 3:00 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta Plat
Posts: 5,843
Though I agree the new lunge is very nice, at 6.5 hours I would certainly go in to the city and walk around a bit.

Would rather have 12 hrs at AMS though :-)
exwannabe is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 4:16 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SEA
Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Posts: 1,290
Some photos of the lounge from last November

I was there last November. Here are some photos

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post27557506
Bear4Asian is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 4:52 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thailand
Programs: DLPlat;AA,BA,US
Posts: 510
Smile

[QUOTEI=jmertic;28084498]As others have mentioned, the lounge is comfortable for a 4 hour layover ( which given ATC delays could shrink down ) and good to have a meal, shower, and regroup before your next flight.

The rest of the terminal, while modern looking, is pretty barren in terms of amenities. There is a quite large duty free store complex as you exit security but before the main concourse, 2 Starbucks, 2 Chinese restaurants, and a few smaller shops - but frankly transiting CLE you have more interesting options.

If you have the ability to do the 72 visa free entry, the recommendations to visit the city would probably be a good one with your longer return.[/QUOTE]

The FREE visa entry is 144 hours in PVG Shanghai...
starts at 12:01am following your arrival.

It is only 72 hours in Beijing PEK
travelerjim is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 5:13 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 33,034
Originally Posted by travelerjim View Post
]

The FREE visa entry is 144 hours in PVG Shanghai...
starts at 12:01am following your arrival.

It is only 72 hours in Beijing PEK
Since the OP's planned stopovers are less than 24 hours, he will be issued 24 hour permits in both cases.

In addition to Beijing, ~10 other cities do the 72 hour thing (for passengers with eligible passports whose planned transits are between 24 and 72 hours).

For more information, see here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...er-thread.html
moondog is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 5:16 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BDU
Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Posts: 8,778
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Everyone seems to be able to get the 24 hour TWOV, so going into the city isn't a problem.

OP could even leave the airport briefly during the four hour connection if everything is on time that day, for example for a stroll along the Bund.
On a seven hour layover this would be a bad idea. It can take an hour to get the visa and another hour to get back through security. Planning to be at the gate an hour before take-off eats a third hour. The Maglev Train runs every 20 minutes, eating up perhaps 40 minutes waiting. It takes 8 minutes to ride between the city and the airport. While it's doable, it's rushed IMO. Granted, these are long, but realistic, time estimates, but even if everything goes right, how much time does that yield in Shanghai?

OP, if you are interested in going into Shanghai, which I did recently, call the airline and see if they will move you to a connecting flight the next day. I actually called from the SkyClub after checking in for my departure flight and they were able to move me for free. Do not attempt going in on a seven hour layover unless you enjoy a lot of rushing for a relatively small payoff.
CJKatl is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 5:40 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 33,034
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
On a seven hour layover this would be a bad idea. It can take an hour to get the visa and another hour to get back through security. Planning to be at the gate an hour before take-off eats a third hour. The Maglev Train runs every 20 minutes, eating up perhaps 40 minutes waiting. It takes 8 minutes to ride between the city and the airport. While it's doable, it's rushed IMO. Granted, these are long, but realistic, time estimates, but even if everything goes right, how much time does that yield in Shanghai?

OP, if you are interested in going into Shanghai, which I did recently, call the airline and see if they will move you to a connecting flight the next day. I actually called from the SkyClub after checking in for my departure flight and they were able to move me for free. Do not attempt going in on a seven hour layover unless you enjoy a lot of rushing for a relatively small payoff.
I agree with you that scheduling an overnight connection is the best way to play this if you have spare time, but I disagree with your statement that leaving the airport during a 7 hour layover is a "bad idea".

-visa free transit passengers don't need to "get visas"
-the longest it's ever taken me to get through border control in either direction is 30 minutes
-while it's true that the Maglev runs 3-4 times per hour (so the maximum wait is 20 minutes), they generally stick to their schedule exactly so it's possible to plan around specific trains
-taxis shouldn't be overlooked either (often no waiting required)
moondog is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: