Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Physically Assaulted/Jacket Torn by Delta Flight Attendant (What to do?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Below is my letter to Delta Customer Care. Mind you I have had to write several letters and the response I got from the airline's customer care was unsatisfactory. I have called Delta Corporate and I only got a hold of one person and they said write to Delta Customer Care. Thanks to anyone for advice/guidance as to who else I can report/speak to about the issue. Thanks.

Dear Madam or Sir,

My international flight was a very unacceptable and unpleasant experience. Before the flight took off, one of the stewards said if there are any empty seats people can feel free to move up. Considering this flight left late, I was genuinely concerned about how this time squeeze in combination with the short layover, and lengthy time it can take to get through customs would make it difficult to make it onto my connecting flight. I moved to a seat that was empty, however, the steward told me to move out of the economy section and I accepted and moved back outside of that section. Unfortunately, this wasn?t enough for the female steward as she wanted to clearly bother me for the rest of the flight. This female steward continually talked to me like a mother might speak to a baby as it was so inappropriate and condescending. Seeing that there was another steward serving the very same area as her, I clearly stated and told her not to talk to me anymore. I saw that she was clearly jealous that I chose to interact with the other steward and that she wanted to force me to give her attention. On top of her continuing to talk to me as if I?m her baby, she would wave her hand in front of my face to force me to respond to her. Several hours later to where it was about halfway through the flight, the elderly head stewardess came as if to boost her stature or feelings of self-worth that was even greater than the 1st stewardess.. Looking back on this experience, I am amazed that the head steard would let half the flight pass only to all of a sudden demand that I move. Even though she sees I am moving, she now wants along with me moving to have my ticket and passport. It wasn?t enough for these two immature females that I haved moved, they wanted to bother me as if to make me suffer. For a second time I took my belongings and moved, but the head stewardess followed me in a stalkerish manner. Despite sitting in my original seat, the head stewardess continued to harass me while sitting in the back of the plane. I saw the original male steward who had originally given people permission to move was nearby and so I got up and handed him my ticket. I explained to him everything including how I only moved up because he said it was ok and that I wanted to make sure I didn?t miss my connecting flight. Not only was the male steward more professional than the other two female stewards who made me feel as if I am being harassed and racially profiled, he was a gentleman that was supportive and easygoing. He showed me he was someone humane that you can talk to, that he wasn?t about having an ego or demonstrate his authority. I was happy to to talk to him as he behaved like how most of your Delta employees treat people. Behind us the jealous elderly head stewardess clearly got overly emotional, grabbed my arm and tried to pull me out of the way in an effort to snatch my ticket out of the male stewards hands. Her grabbing of my coat ended up tearing a jacket that is around $1000. Clearly, this elderly woman with an ego was on a power trip. Despite those two strange female stewards, I was happy with the two male stewards and another female steward who were working the back of the plane. Regarding the 3rd female steward, she herself was much more of a mature lady than the other two stewardesses. Those 3 stewards did a good job on behalf of Delta for the rest of the flight. Right after we landed in Seattle, I immediately notified the first Delta employee I saw about being assaulted. Because of how short time was I couldn?t get to a redcoat until layover in Los Angeles. Talking to an LAX Delta Redcoat, he told me that it is not right that I the passenger was physically touched by a Delta employee. Not only did the redcoat tell me to write to you about being assaulted and having my jacket being torn, he wanted to give me a card for a free beer but I told him I am not a drinker as I don?t like alcohol. Despite me moving multiple times and ultimately ending up at my original seat it was not enough for these two stewardesses as they felt verbally and physically harassing a passenger is the way to treat people. And they both went way too far with their power trips.
The customer care's intial response on behalf of the airline was not only nonsense filled with errors, as human being I am disappointed that you did not truly and deeply regret that a person's personally space was invaded and violated LONG AFTER I had moved. There are certainly good females out there in society, but these two vile and despicable women are not ladies. Worst of all, it is an absolute flat out lie they clam that I wasn’t touched because the male attendant witnessed me being touched and grabbed as the female attendant pulled me out of the way to grab the ticket from his hands. One of the other crew members was very shy and heistant about even wanting to tell me one of their coworkers names. Clearly, this crew wants to hide things, swipe things under the rug, and avoid embarrassment. You as an airline should not let off this matter so easily. Those two women should be fortunate that you are even allowing them to work for Delta Airlines. The head stewardess should absolutely be demoted from her title and position. Had this situation been reversed with a female being assaulted by a male, not only would you react differently and more seriously, this issue would have become international headline news. Clearly, this crew wants to hide things, swipe things under the rug, and avoid embarrassment. You as an airline should not let off this matter so easily. Those two women should be fortunate that you are even allowing them to work for Delta Airlines. The head stewardess should absolutely be demoted from her title and position. The LAX delta redcoat saw that my coat was torn as I clearly showed it to him, we talked about this, and he was fully aware of it.. I still have evidence, some of which I have shared with you and seeing how insincere, lighthearted, and poor that response on behalf Delta, it seems Delta is about trying to trivialize and minimize the situation. Its not about feeling mistreated, I physically was mistreated. Your service is not the best it can be. I have tried calling corporate care several times and most of the time my call gets dropped after pressing multiple numbers on an automated system leading to nowhere as there is no one working there to answer the phone.
You can either write a check for the cost of $900 for my jacket or deduct $900 from both salaries for the female flight attendants. If the male flight attendant wants to cover up things and pretend that me being grabbed never happened, then I take back my support for him. These aren’t about my expectations, these are about you not realizing there is a humane way to interact and treat people. Your expectations are poor if you think it is ok to harass and abuse a passenger and then later on act as if nothing happened. I will give you a final opportunity for you to make up for your childish female flight attendants and their powertrip behavior. I will hope that you understand that I was physically touched grabbed and assaulted by a woman trying to pull me away so that she can aggressively grab something out of another flight attendant’s hands. I have already composed letters to send to the Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation, the Bureau of Better business, the International Civil Aviation Organization, and other legal authorities. If you are not going to appropriately respond to me not only will I be forced to send the letters, I will make sure it goes viral. I hope that your letter doesn’t take so long to answer, as the matter is simple: Delta employees should not be physically touching a passenger.

Last edited by fay637; Mar 8, 2017 at 3:07 pm
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No one will ever read a letter that long and rambling. I gave up and wasn't even a fifth of the way through it.

Since too long to read. Did you move up to Comfort+, First Class, or Business/Delta One? Shorten this too a couple of sentences at most. Otherwise it's never going to get a response.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Flight number or flying from where to where?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by fay637
Below is my letter to Delta Customer Care. Mind you I have had to write several letters and the response I got from the airline's customer care was unsatisfactory. I have called Delta Corporate and I only got a hold of one person and they said write to Delta Customer Care. Thanks to anyone for advice/guidance as to who else I can report/speak to about the issue. Thanks.

Dear Madam or Sir,

My international flight was a very unacceptable and unpleasant experience. Before the flight took off, one of the stewards said if there are any empty seats people can feel free to move up. Considering this flight left late, I was genuinely concerned about how this time squeeze in combination with the short layover, and lengthy time it can take to get through customs would make it difficult to make it onto my connecting flight. I moved to a seat that was empty, however, the steward told me to move out of the economy section and I accepted and moved back outside of that section. Unfortunately, this wasn?t enough for the female steward as she wanted to clearly bother me for the rest of the flight. This female steward continually talked to me like a mother might speak to a baby as it was so inappropriate and condescending. Seeing that there was another steward serving the very same area as her, I clearly stated and told her not to talk to me anymore. I saw that she was clearly jealous that I chose to interact with the other steward and that she wanted to force me to give her attention. On top of her continuing to talk to me as if I?m her baby, she would wave her hand in front of my face to force me to respond to her. Several hours later to where it was about halfway through the flight, the elderly head stewardess came as if to boost her stature or feelings of self-worth that was even greater than the 1st stewardess.. Looking back on this experience, I am amazed that the head steard would let half the flight pass only to all of a sudden demand that I move. Even though she sees I am moving, she now wants along with me moving to have my ticket and passport. It wasn?t enough for these two immature females that I haved moved, they wanted to bother me as if to make me suffer. For a second time I took my belongings and moved, but the head stewardess followed me in a stalkerish manner. Despite sitting in my original seat, the head stewardess continued to harass me while sitting in the back of the plane. I saw the original male steward who had originally given people permission to move was nearby and so I got up and handed him my ticket. I explained to him everything including how I only moved up because he said it was ok and that I wanted to make sure I didn?t miss my connecting flight. Not only was the male steward more professional than the other two female stewards who made me feel as if I am being harassed and racially profiled, he was a gentleman that was supportive and easygoing. He showed me he was someone humane that you can talk to, that he wasn?t about having an ego or demonstrate his authority. I was happy to to talk to him as he behaved like how most of your Delta employees treat people. Behind us the jealous elderly head stewardess clearly got overly emotional, grabbed my arm and tried to pull me out of the way in an effort to snatch my ticket out of the male stewards hands. Her grabbing of my coat ended up tearing a jacket that is around $1000. Clearly, this elderly woman with an ego was on a power trip. Despite those two strange female stewards, I was happy with the two male stewards and another female steward who were working the back of the plane. Regarding the 3rd female steward, she herself was much more of a mature lady than the other two stewardesses. Those 3 stewards did a good job on behalf of Delta for the rest of the flight. Right after we landed in Seattle, I immediately notified the first Delta employee I saw about being assaulted. Because of how short time was I couldn?t get to a redcoat until layover in Los Angeles. Talking to an LAX Delta Redcoat, he told me that it is not right that I the passenger was physically touched by a Delta employee. Not only did the redcoat tell me to write to you about being assaulted and having my jacket being torn, he wanted to give me a card for a free beer but I told him I am not a drinker as I don?t like alcohol. Despite me moving multiple times and ultimately ending up at my original seat it was not enough for these two stewardesses as they felt verbally and physically harassing a passenger is the way to treat people. And they both went way too far with their power trips.
The customer care's intial response on behalf of the airline was not only nonsense filled with errors, as human being I am disappointed that you did not truly and deeply regret that a person's personally space was invaded and violated LONG AFTER I had moved. There are certainly good females out there in society, but these two vile and despicable women are not ladies. Worst of all, it is an absolute flat out lie they clam that I wasn’t touched because the male attendant witnessed me being touched and grabbed as the female attendant pulled me out of the way to grab the ticket from his hands. One of the other crew members was very shy and heistant about even wanting to tell me one of their coworkers names. Clearly, this crew wants to hide things, swipe things under the rug, and avoid embarrassment. You as an airline should not let off this matter so easily. Those two women should be fortunate that you are even allowing them to work for Delta Airlines. The head stewardess should absolutely be demoted from her title and position. Had this situation been reversed with a female being assaulted by a male, not only would you react differently and more seriously, this issue would have become international headline news. Clearly, this crew wants to hide things, swipe things under the rug, and avoid embarrassment. You as an airline should not let off this matter so easily. Those two women should be fortunate that you are even allowing them to work for Delta Airlines. The head stewardess should absolutely be demoted from her title and position. The LAX delta redcoat saw that my coat was torn as I clearly showed it to him, we talked about this, and he was fully aware of it.. I still have evidence, some of which I have shared with you and seeing how insincere, lighthearted, and poor that response on behalf Delta, it seems Delta is about trying to trivialize and minimize the situation. Its not about feeling mistreated, I physically was mistreated. Your service is not the best it can be. I have tried calling corporate care several times and most of the time my call gets dropped after pressing multiple numbers on an automated system leading to nowhere as there is no one working there to answer the phone.
You can either write a check for the cost of $900 for my jacket or deduct $900 from both salaries for the female flight attendants. If the male flight attendant wants to cover up things and pretend that me being grabbed never happened, then I take back my support for him. These aren’t about my expectations, these are about you not realizing there is a humane way to interact and treat people. Your expectations are poor if you think it is ok to harass and abuse a passenger and then later on act as if nothing happened. I will give you a final opportunity for you to make up for your childish female flight attendants and their powertrip behavior. I will hope that you understand that I was physically touched grabbed and assaulted by a woman trying to pull me away so that she can aggressively grab something out of another flight attendant’s hands. I have already composed letters to send to the Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation, the Bureau of Better business, the International Civil Aviation Organization, and other legal authorities. If you are not going to appropriately respond to me not only will I be forced to send the letters, I will make sure it goes viral. I hope that your letter doesn’t take so long to answer, as the matter is simple: Delta employees should not be physically touching a passenger.
Assuming this went down how you say it did, you are going to get no where using the outdated "stewardess" and insulting what appears to be every female you encountered.

If I was working for DL customer care (or any business) my conclusion would be that you have an issue with women in general based on your descriptions of events.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Locked in 4, 3, 2, ...
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
There are certainly good females out there in society, but these two vile and despicable women are not ladies.
There are also some good Jews and Blacks out there in society.

[If this was not a G rated board, I would have pulled out the N word to make my point]

Lock on......
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kop84
Assuming this went down how you say it did, you are going to get no where using the outdated "stewardess" and insulting what appears to be every female you encountered.

If I was working for DL customer care (or any business) my conclusion would be that you have an issue with women in general based on your descriptions of events.

You put it more simply than I could. Given the grammar/spelling in the OP, I wouldn't be shocked if English wasn't the OP's first language so I can initially look away from the use of "steward/stewardess" and attribute some of that to a language barrier if that's the case. However, there are plenty of other remarks within the post that makes it clear OP has a negative attitude and lack of respect towards females. Something tells me OP was less than pleasant to deal with and was instigating as much, if not more, than OP received.

And it's laughable that OP wants the $900 deducted from the two FA's salaries but doesn't even identify which of the two FA's he's referring to. Seems effective. My bet is someone at DL Customer Care is (or will be) getting a good laugh from reading this one. ^ (Though I wouldn't be at all shocked if this was a troll post to begin with).

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Mar 8, 2017 at 4:15 pm
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Dear Delta,

One of your flight crew ripped my jacket on flight xx on data mm/dd/yy. The replacement cost is $900. Please contact me for further details and regarding your preferred method of reimbursement.

Yours faithfully,

xx

This will allow Delta to address the issue without dealing with your emotional issues.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Should have filed a police report.
At this point you can take a hike.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I'm sorry this happened to you. What was the original compensation they offered??

I've found that being concise (there used to be a character limit iirc), and using facts -- not emotionally charged words -- gets good results. If we don't want to read a 3 paragraph essay, I doubt Delta Customer Care wants to.

-IBTL
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by fay637
Clearly, this elderly woman with an ego was on a power trip.

There are certainly good females out there in society, but these two vile and despicable women are not ladies.

Those two women should be fortunate that you are even allowing them to work for Delta Airlines. The head stewardess should absolutely be demoted from her title and position. Had this situation been reversed with a female being assaulted by a male, not only would you react differently and more seriously, this issue would have become international headline news.

Those two women should be fortunate that you are even allowing them to work for Delta Airlines. The head stewardess should absolutely be demoted from her title and position.

You can either write a check for the cost of $900 for my jacket or deduct $900 from both salaries for the female flight attendants.

If you are not going to appropriately respond to me not only will I be forced to send the letters, I will make sure it goes viral.

Me thinks this will go viral, but not for the reasons OP expected. As a man, I am ashamed of the horrendously sexist and offensive language that was used in the letter. I am highly doubtful that events transpired as described in the letter and hopefully Delta will deny this claim.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
I have no words....

Ok, a few words. WTH? Well, I guess those are letters.

I've a never seen the word steward so many times. If that "$1,000 jacket" was ripped so easily, that must have been one helluva grab. I have zero confidence that this is something that actually happened.

A beer might go a long way for this guy.

And if it was such a horrible experience, why not just file a police report? After all, this isn't a description of bad customer service, it's one of assault.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:15 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR

You beat me to it, kop84. There is a persistent theme of sexist language and assumptions in this rant, it really undermines OP's credibility and any ability to feel sympathy for the supposed predicament.

To OP: You're clearly upset about what happened. I'm sorry. I don't know the whole facts of the situation as we only have your side, but the tone of your letter which is somewhere between a rant and a fit does not help your credibility. I don't think that you will get a good response with such a long and rambling letter, and with the sexism as mentioned above. Making irrational and vindictive demands like having exactly $900 docked from an FA's pay does not help your case in any sense. A clear request for compensation of damaged property may.

It sounds to me like you moved from Main Cabin to Comfort+. Perhaps you don't fly very much, but this is really never allowed onboard unless you're directed to a specific seat for operational reasons, any directive to spread out in the Main Cabin notwithstanding. You may not have known this, but it is a very legitimate reason to provoke a bit of a fuss from the flight crew, including asking to see your ticket.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

A conclusion I would take from such complaint letter too.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Oh god please lock this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.