Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Questions About Using 2 ECVs & Also "Direct Flight" Mileage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:01 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

1) I have a $200 Choice Benefit ECV that expires in June. Then, my next oldest ECV (from a VDB) expires much later. It's $800.

I want to book a ticket that costs around $700, but, I'd like to use the $200 voucher first. Will they use the $200 voucher first if my second voucher is more than enough to cover the whole ticket, so I can have a residual value with the later expiration date? Or, will they force me to use the $800 ECV for the entire ticket and save my $200 voucher for another trip?

Any thoughts?

2) DL129 flies from PEK/SEA/LAX. If I book DL129 PEK/SEA + DLxyz SEA/LAX - - THEN SDC to DL129 SEA/LAX, do you think I'll get the miles from PEK/SEA + SEA/LAX, or, will I get the miles from PEK/LAX?

Thanx! DT

Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
1 - It is my understanding that you can use the $200 voucher first, then the $700 one and get residual value in a new voucher with the expiration date of the $700 voucher. The terms allow a second voucher if you use the choice voucher first, but not the other way around.

2 - You get mileage for what you fly so if you switch to a direct flight you get that mileage.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
From experience 1)you should be able
2)if both flights are same flight then based on experience even if you switched to the other half you only get the direct mileage.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
1) Thanx

2) I don't understand. It's been said here many times, that, if you book, for example, DL129 PEK/SEA + DL129 SEA/LAX separately, you'll get mileage as additive, not through mileage. So, if I have a ticket with 2 separate flight coupons for 2 different flights, THEN SDC to DL129 SEA/LAX after I've flown the PEK/SEA segment, wouldn't the mileage still show up as 2 separate segments?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
In the past I've seen it both ways. I know at one point the rule was that regardless how it was booked if you flew both portions of a flight with same number that you earned the direct amount.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
In the past I've seen it both ways. I know at one point the rule was that regardless how it was booked if you flew both portions of a flight with same number that you earned the direct amount.
The reason I ask, is, I called back to see if my itin would price out the same if DL129 was booked with PEK/SEA + SEA/LAX as 2 segments, and IT DID INDEED price the same. Now, you're making me wonder if that's a bad idea?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I know this isn't exactly what you're asking, but I'll put it here for future reference.

The only 2¢ I can add is that if you DO book it as a direct flight you will be unable to SDC the SEA-LAX segment as it is still treated as "international." Had this very problem with HKG-SEA-ATL. Arrived in SEA early and the computer wouldn't let me jump on the first flight to ATL.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:52 am
Original Poster

I'm definitely NOT going to book it as the direct flight, but, I'd like to book it as DL129 PEK/SEA + DL129 SEA/LAX - 2 separate segments, if I only knew for sure that I'd get the full mileage. From what I've read here, I should be OK using my GUC.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if you're so worried about the mileage, you could SDC to SEA-PDX/SFO/SLC-LAX (or perhaps use your unpublished DM benefit for SEA-SNA)

Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm definitely NOT going to book it as the direct flight, but, I'd like to book it as DL129 PEK/SEA + DL129 SEA/LAX - 2 separate segments, if I only knew for sure that I'd get the full mileage. From what I've read here, I should be OK using my GUC.
For the GUC unless the direct flight can be confirmed it's better to have it booked as the two segments. This way you have better chance of getting upgraded on the PEK/SEA flight.

As for mileage it's been ages since I did a booking with a direct flight, but booked as connecting. I looked (it was three years ago) and it posted as a direct flight even though it was broken into two flights.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
For the GUC unless the direct flight can be confirmed it's better to have it booked as the two segments. This way you have better chance of getting upgraded on the PEK/SEA flight.

As for mileage it's been ages since I did a booking with a direct flight, but booked as connecting. I looked (it was three years ago) and it posted as a direct flight even though it was broken into two flights.
I'm only doing TPAC flights that have GUC availability in advance. For the dates I want, DTW/PEK & PEK/SEA are both available.

Originally Posted by jrl767
if you're so worried about the mileage, you could SDC to SEA-PDX/SFO/SLC-LAX (or perhaps use your unpublished DM benefit for SEA-SNA)

Well, here'z the thing . . . .

I'm trying to do a "less than 24 hour stopover" at LAX. The flight I want leaves LAX the next day at 6AM, so, I'd like to do the continuation of DL129 to maximize my time in LA, but, I want to be sure of getting the correct miles.

---> Funny, now that I actually check the difference in miles between PEK/LAX and PEK/SEA/LAX, it's only a difference of 110 miles. Somehow, I feel certain that I checked it last week and it was a lot more than that! - 6251 vs 6361
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:44 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I believe you aren't technically allowed to SDC on an itinerary involving long-haul international travel, even if only on a domestic segment of said itinerary, so the question is probably moot. You may be able to find a generous agent (try at the SkyClub in particular) who will do it for you, but officially it's not allowed.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bgriff
I believe you aren't technically allowed to SDC on an itinerary involving long-haul international travel, even if only on a domestic segment of said itinerary, so the question is probably moot. You may be able to find a generous agent (try at the SkyClub in particular) who will do it for you, but officially it's not allowed.
After all int'l segments are flown, you ARE permitted to SDC on the remaining domestic segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.