Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MD-88 Retired from LGA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rerere
How sad, I'm going to miss them from their 3X2 seating to the engine noise. I never thought I'd see the day we would start seeing them go, seems like the type of aircraft that could fly forever if maintained correctly/parts still produced.
There has never been a more solidly built passenger jet aircraft IMO. Cliché, but they definitely don't build things like they used to.

They almost certainly could be. Fuel prices won't stay low forever though, and parts will start becoming an issue.

Luckily the 717s and MD-90s will be around for a long time.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
The a/c that I will miss the most is the 757 on domestic runs being replaced by, to use Mspeconomist's favorite word, "horrid" 737-900's.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Well, there goes a lot of upgrade inventory...
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
As someone who gets stuck on these old, tired birds more than I wish to good riddance.

Delta seems to love this plane wherever I fly.

In the last 12 segments been on an MD 88 on 8 of them. Will be on one more tonight ATL-PBI.

No power and the interiors are getting very tired and worn.

Rode in 32C last week. Despite the extra legroom it was not a pleasant experience.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Yes because the captain would be sentenced to prison, served at the Delta Corporate prison located in Concourse C at CVG (former Comair terminal).
Not possible unless they serve their time on the RED (gates 1-19) or BLUE (gates 20-39) side. The opposite side GREEN (gates 40-59) and ORANGE (gates 60-79) is nearly demolished. Shouldn't be too long before Concourse C is gone.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by WWads
No wonder the Conair plane is always sitting nearby.
Yep...just look for the registration numbers ending in CA.....N****CA. Original Comair aircraft. I flew on one a coupla weeks ago MSP/GFK.

(Ooopps...thought you said Comair...lol)
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Yep...just look for the registration numbers ending in CA.....N****CA. Original Comair aircraft. I flew on one a coupla weeks ago MSP/GFK.
No I meant Con Air, as in the Justice prisoner transport system.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:23 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The first ever MD-88 I flew was from LGA-ATL back in 1998. It's hard to imagine LGA without them and it's going to be harder still in a little while to imagine Delta without them
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:53 am

My most recent DL MD-88 was from MCO-LGA. It was still a nice ride. I will miss the MD-88 once they are retired. Always a fun takeoff and landing.

My very first DL MD-88 was back in 1988 from DFW to Ontario, CA. It had the new airplane smell. Back then DL served great food even in coach. I was in coach and the lunch consisted of a nice sized steak, new potatoes, peas, a great salad and a chocolate eclair for dessert. You don't get meals like this in FC today. Those sure were the days.

I recently flew on the 737-900 for the first time and I didn't think it was that bad but certainly not as comfortable as the 757.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:03 pm

While the MDs aren't flying to LGA, I have a feeling we're still going to see them for some time.

You have to look at it from Delta's perspective:
1) These aircraft were paid-in-full many moons ago.
2) Due to the airframe age, I doubt they're carrying much insurance on these, especially for hull loss.
3) DL updated the cockpits a few years back with more advanced avionics, so other than LGA, there aren't operational issues elsewhere.
4) Delta's TechOps department is quite good and Delta has a ton of spare parts. They have their own in-house engine MRO (Maintenance / Repair / Overhaul).
5) There's a ton of JT8D engines available on the used market.
6) DL even bought a fleet extra Mad Dogs to use for parts from other airlines.
7) About the only thing that will ground them is if fuel prices skyrocket.

Personally, I hope the stay around for awhile. I love how quiet they are up-front and the 3/2 configuration in the back. The cabins in the ones I've been in the past 12 months were in good shape, and I was surprised to have LED reading lights in my last one.

The lack of IFE doesn't bother me. If anything, the slower GoGo internet on them bothers me more than lack of IFE. They're all short-haul flights, so the lack of power ports doesn't bother me either, although the last few flights I've been on had power outlets, so I'm not sure if that's the norm now or not.

That said, I remember being on some dreadful DL 75x a couple of years back that really needed an interior overhaul. The interior was shot. Seats in F were beyond worn out. Fortunately, the cabin crew were excellent which almost made up for how ratty the aircraft was.

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
As an aviation geek, I'd love to hear the details.
Geek out all you want. There's about a 10 minute long explanation on the Airline Pilot Guy podcast: http://airlinepilotguy.com/apg-263-low-can-go/

Go to ~1:17:00 in the audio podcast, or
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Posted previously and worth a repeat:

No idea why you would be saddened such an old and tired bird such as the MD88 is no longer at LGA.

Would welcome the opportunity to never be on one again.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by KRSW
While the MDs aren't flying to LGA, I have a feeling we're still going to see them for some time.
~A year ago Bastian said they should all be gone in 2020.

http://www.startribune.com/delta-air...eet/377554271/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.