Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat will be assigned at airport!? should I be scared?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*

I just checked in for a red-eye SEA-DTW departing in 22 hours. When I checked in it said I couldn't select a seat for that leg and that my seat would be assigned at the airport. Now that I've checked in I can select any of 12 premium seats for either $39 or $55, but there are no free seats available, even middle seats at the back.

If it stays this way with no "free" seats available, they'll put me in one of the premium seats, right? Is there an amount of time before departure when that happens?

Any other advice on how to maximize my chances of getting a decent seat? Mostly I just don't want a middle seat - I'd be willing to pay up if it meant good exit row seat vs 100% chance of gross middle seat, but I'm willing to roll the dice a bit if I'm pretty likely to get a tolerable seat without paying.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Are you a medallion?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by RRDD
Are you a medallion?
The profile indicates the poster is PM. Ask the GA when you get there about your seat assignment. IME as a PM in your situation many times I've almost never wound up in a middle seat. The GAs will put you in the best available seat. I usually only wind up in a middle seat on a late clearing full plane SDC.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
sounds like something is wrong

there are probably no regular seats available, but as PM you should be able to grab one of the c+ seats for free

I would call
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
sounds like something is wrong

there are probably no regular seats available, but as PM you should be able to grab one of the c+ seats for free

I would call
I agree that you should call. There may be free seats that are blocked that they would unblock for you. That being said, I would not expect them to open up a C+ seat for you, as you will just be on the upgrade list.

Again I think we are all operating under the assumption that you are indeed a PM.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If indeed PM then you shouldn't have to pay. When you pull up the reservation does it show you as a PM in the passenger section? If not then that's the reason. If you're no longer PM then they can assign at the gate or desk.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:51 am

If I had to guess, OP is either no longer PM (or any medallion) or has the C+ upgrade switched off on the record.

If not a medallion any longer, I still would NOT worry. You may not get a great seat, but you are highly unlikely to be bumped off the flight.

With seats still for sale, I'm going to say it's unlikely it's sold out...it's possible that this flight is just incredibly medallion light and it is oversold just no one can qualify for the seats that are left for no charge and no one is willing to bite on paying...or since it's still 20 hours left haven't checked it yet.

But even if it is oversold, DL will solicit volunteers to take a voucher for a different flight. And there is a redeye to ATL leaving a few minutes after the DTW flight to potentially accommodate the individual(s) would accept the re-route.

Or the GA could offer X DL$'s and a hotel and the morning flight. SEA has enough flights now that some interesting offers could be made to re-route people to their final destination.

So I'd say the odds are that .1% chance that you're not allowed on the flight because it's oversold and they couldn't get enough volunteers. Now your odds of a potential middle seat are greater, but with only preferred seats left, the only middle seats are likely to be exit row. Unless you get unlucky and put in the middle seat in the very back.

Last edited by kop84; Feb 21, 2017 at 11:37 am Reason: missed very important word
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by huge
I just checked in for a red-eye SEA-DTW departing in 22 hours.
I assume it is DL2859 in which case EF shows

F9 P8 A5 G2 W2 Y4 B4 M2 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0

As a PM you will be fine
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Assuming that OP is no longer an elite, I would just pay up for a better seat. A middle on a 739 is pure torture.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Feb 21, 2017 at 11:10 am Reason: Oops, wrong date.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No seat assignment = you're likely to get a crappy one at the gate, especially if you no longer have status. Based on the post and details saying you'd have to pay for a premium seat, you don't have status so will be stuck in whatever is left over. If you were a PM you'd be able to select preferred and comfort+ seats for no charge.

Also if I look at the seat map now I see some aisle seats available that aren't preferred.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Thanks for all the replies - sorry, yes, I'm no longer PM or any status - haven't updated my profile in a couple of years I guess - sorry for the confusion.

It's still showing all of those 12 seats available that I would have to pay for, plus one middle comfort+ seat I can't (& wouldn't) pay for, but now (12 hours before departure) there is ONE free seat I can select: 15E. I'm inclined to not choose that since (a) I might have better luck calling if I don't have a seat at all and (b) I'm way more interested in not having a middle seat than getting closer to the front of the plane.

And to be clear - I'm not worried about getting bumped and don't think it's likely seeing as they clearly have 14 empty seats right now - I'm mostly just wanting to avoid a middle seat.

I could just pay $55 for 21A (rear exit row with no seat in front of it) - I'd pay that if the alternative is a middle seat, but not if the alternative is ending up in an aisle or window.

I'll call when I can - I'm in a cell phone black hole right now...

thanks again
-huge
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:48 pm

Depending on how much you want to gamble, just look at how many of the blocked for purchase seats there are left, and how many are middle seats. There may be a much higher percentage of aisle/window seats left than middle seats...and if you get the the gate a bit early and talk to the GA, unless you're rude to them, I bet they'd assign you a decent seat.

I'm willing to bet unless you're a jerk, if the GA has to leave a seat empty, even after all stand-by's and nonrevs have cleared 99% of the time it's middle seats that are left open.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kop84
Depending on how much you want to gamble, just look at how many of the blocked for purchase seats there are left, and how many are middle seats. There may be a much higher percentage of aisle/window seats left than middle seats...and if you get the the gate a bit early and talk to the GA, unless you're rude to them, I bet they'd assign you a decent seat.

I'm willing to bet unless you're a jerk, if the GA has to leave a seat empty, even after all stand-by's and nonrevs have cleared 99% of the time it's middle seats that are left open.
Thanks, yeah that's pretty much my thought. 6 of the 12 paid seats available now are aisle or window - if those start disappearing I'll just suck it up and pay for one. Otherwise I'll try to charm my way into one at the airport.

Right now 9 First Class seats are available, so I'm guessing that at least a couple good coach seats will open up at some point when Medallions get upgraded.

Any thoughts on whether I'm better off turning on the charm at a SkyClub or at the gate?

-huge
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by huge
Thanks, yeah that's pretty much my thought. 6 of the 12 paid seats available now are aisle or window - if those start disappearing I'll just suck it up and pay for one. Otherwise I'll try to charm my way into one at the airport.

Right now 9 First Class seats are available, so I'm guessing that at least a couple good coach seats will open up at some point when Medallions get upgraded.

Any thoughts on whether I'm better off turning on the charm at a SkyClub or at the gate?

-huge
I would try at the SC, since those agents are generally more helpful than an overworked GA.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Try first in the SC. You can always try again at the gate if necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.