Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does DL ever provide expanded award availability for Diam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

Trying to book a domestic seat 11 months out and nothing available at Level 1. Does DL ever provide expanded award availability for Diamond members (ie, queue a request to yield mgt to open up 1 seat)?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Nope. DL can open up inventory in some situations - such as to force a rebooking after a schedule change - but not for new bookings solely based on status.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
That's how it should be, but alas.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Once upon a time, there was expanded availability. This feature still existed in the tool until very recently, which is why the "I am traveling" checkbox was there, but the extra inventory disappeared around the same time the award charts did.

Since they finally did the work to hide the checkbox, I wouldn't expect this to return anytime in the foreseeable future.

Even when it was offered, the expanded availability wasn't very generous. I only ever noticed it helping on domestic economy redemptions - partner, international, and business class flights seemed unaffected.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When there was the expanded availability, it was supposed to only involve low coach awards on DL. I don't remember whether it was announced as domestic only or not.

At the time, there was a thread here where people did some experiments to see how significant the enhanced availability was. Someone would propose a route and date, and then folks would check and report availability as well as their elite tier and Reserve card status. IIRC most of the searches did show some enhanced availability, but the differences seemed to be an extra seat or two, which can make a difference if you're not trying to get award tickets for a big group.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:42 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
nothing available at Level 1
What's "Level 1"?!?

Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:54 pm

It seems kind of silly to me to provide a lower (i.e. cheaper) award level based on status. I could maybe understand providing award availability where no availability otherwise exists, but on Delta, I'm not sure I can recall any flight in recent times without some level of award availability (albeit it might not be a great value) when a revenue seat was available.

I fundamentally agree with Delta's wisdom that they shouldn't offer low award availability if they think they're a high likelihood that they will sell out / oversell a flight.

Last edited by rucksack; Feb 20, 2017 at 6:57 pm Reason: Edited to remove statement implying that AA sometimes has no award availability.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
DL, like AA, offers last seat availability for Peak/Anytime awards. So there will always be awards "available" on either airline unless the flight is completely sold out.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BenA
I only ever noticed it helping on domestic economy redemptions - partner, international, and business class flights seemed unaffected.
Back before DL eliminated it, for several years (and I'm not going to bother with Wayback Machine) DL had explicitly identified extra access as domestic only, coach only.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by davetravels
What's "Level 1"?!?
The lowest mileage level, of Levels 1~5.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
The lowest mileage level, of Levels 1~5.
But, BUT, BUT, Delta.com doesn't say anything about levels?!?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
But, BUT, BUT, Delta.com doesn't say anything about levels?!?
Sure Delta doesn't publish an award chart, but award tickets do follow certain levels. I can't find the thread right now but a fellow FTer published an analysis that shows the 7 "levels" an award ticket can be.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ruckzac
Sure Delta doesn't publish an award chart, but award tickets do follow certain levels. I can't find the thread right now but a fellow FTer published an analysis that shows the 7 "levels" an award ticket can be.
I've looked at four domestic destinations in the last 10 minutes, restricted to non-stops in Main Cabin, one way. All travel is the same date. Award prices shown:

It didn't make me long to show that awards can exist at more than seven levels. The OP's concept of award levels 1-5 is outdated.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by ruckzac
I know all of that. I was just kidding, because, there's really no way to know what the current lowest level is. Some here have checked fare codes after booking tickets. I dunno.

Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I've looked at four domestic destinations in the last 10 minutes, restricted to non-stops in Main Cabin, one way. All travel is the same date. Award prices shown:

It didn't make me long to show that awards can exist at more than seven levels. The OP's concept of award levels 1-5 is outdated.
Hold on now. Even with the old five level system, there were a lot more than five prices for award tickets. The levels just referred to the various increments a particular route could be priced. As far as I'm aware, Delta's award calendar still follows the same logic, it's just that there are more levels (7 I think) and pricing is now based on one-ways rather than round trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.