Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid J Upgrades Ex-AMS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
If Y is oversold then no co-pay is needed. You might also encountered an agent not familiar with the DoD DL rules and T &C (-ie no co-pay and refund).
KL FB members will get a refund (or discount on the spot to the amount needed to upgrade) for the amount they paid for EC when they upgrade. I'm sure Delta and her stockholders are very happy about it

Last edited by Grouchy; Mar 13, 2017 at 3:48 am
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:27 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Be careful, most discounted tickets ex-EU are not changeable, even for a fee. They're use it or lose it, even for J tickets.
I would say "a small number" instead of "most". In over 5 years purchasing tickets ex-CDG, I recall only a few with DL/AF/KL in J and in W. The rest (after doing a historical verification of my tickets) have a change fee, initially it was 300 Euros, but after 2014 they all have been 400/450 Euros change fee.

Seems that LHR is very particular about the very cheap Z fares with no changes allowed, but this doesn't hold true for many other European countries (Spain, France, Germany, Netherlands).
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
I did not check the seat map yesterday but tomorrow's flight is less than half full in Y so I really doubt it was oversold. I know there were empty C+ seats at check in so it is unlikely oversold. Also, when she checked the day before she was also told there was no $$ involved, only miles. Had to be related to either being in C+ already or having accepted a DOD upgrade offer on the outbound.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Paplover
I did not check the seat map yesterday but tomorrow's flight is less than half full in Y so I really doubt it was oversold. I know there were empty C+ seats at check in so it is unlikely oversold. Also, when she checked the day before she was also told there was no $$ involved, only miles. Had to be related to either being in C+ already or having accepted a DOD upgrade offer on the outbound.
There have been many times where the seat map shows half full, and by the time the flight departs, it leaves full. Just before T-30, the flight is transferred to KLM and DL loses control over the seat map, so any seats assigned during check-in are not visible, the seat map just remains frozen. Many passengers originating or connecting in CDG do not select seats until check-in because of some limitations.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by SDQBound
There have been many times where the seat map shows half full, and by the time the flight departs, it leaves full. Just before T-30, the flight is transferred to KLM and DL loses control over the seat map, so any seats assigned during check-in are not visible, the seat map just remains frozen. Many passengers originating or connecting in CDG do not select seats until check-in because of some limitations.
+1

Ex-AMS for DL flights, DL hosted seat maps are fiction. KLM systems control all DL departures from AMS and neither DL.com nor the DL app will show accurate seat maps.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Any recent reports out of AMS, especially with X fares? On DL 006- tickets, it's just a discount fare class. But based on the above posts it seems like KL's system might treat it differently due to misreading it as an FB award?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Any recent reports out of AMS, especially with X fares? On DL 006- tickets, it's just a discount fare class. But based on the above posts it seems like KL's system might treat it differently due to misreading it as an FB award?
I recently flew AMS-SEA on DL on an X fare. KLM will recognize it correctly. The agent quoted me 400 EUR plus 25,0000 miles to upgrade. Normally the agent will do some research and/or call someone else to find the correct fare class.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:29 am

Thanks! I'd say it's still a great deal, compared to DL's typical offers at OLCI or the horrible SM upgrade rates/restrictions.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL PM
One more data point: was denied day of departure upgrade today at AMS for the 1 remaining seat. Apparently, the last seat is reserved for standbys at the gate.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by kamadzu4
One more data point: was denied day of departure upgrade today at AMS for the 1 remaining seat. Apparently, the last seat is reserved for standbys at the gate.
Were we both on the same AMS-MSP yesterday? I tried to upgrade and failed for the same reason, no availability for the last remaining seat.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
Benn there done that. Ask the KLM ticket agent to call the gate.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Benn there done that. Ask the KLM ticket agent to call the gate.
Crown Lounge agent did that for me, still no luck.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:59 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I need to travel to AMS next fall and considering paying to fly up front; can anyone familiar with DL's fares for the route let me know what I should look out for? Are sub-$2000 fares possible?

Also, if I decide to try and do the miles+cash option ex-AMS, can I book a mixed itinerary of paid J outbound and an economy fare on the return (suspect I will need to have an agent book this)?

Thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
If anyone has been able to ask for this upgrade on a short connection at AMS, I would be very interested. I often have 1 hour or less connections, and I have been told a few times that we need to do it 2-3 hours before the flight.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and 1M,Hilton Diamond, CC GM, MB GM, Avis 1st, National Exec.
29/10/17 AMS-ATL on DL 006 ticket but on KLM metal KL621. Checkin online and was presented with the option to buy a J upgrade for €339 via KLM.com for a T fare. I think it's a first I've seen this option in the 7 or years I've been flying TATL regularly on DL stock. I should add that every time I fly out of AMS, which is a lot, KLM will use my FB profile vs. Delta when I checkin. It's possible the upgrade offered was due to my FB account. IDK, just glad it wasn't as expensive as the usual DL option.

4/1/17 AMS-ATL on DL006 on DL metal. Asked to be placed on the upgrade standby list by DL reservation agent a week before DoD. Used global upgrade cert but the lounge ticketing agent couldn't apply it and said it would be determined at the gate. That's a first as gate agents refuse to to process upgrades at the gate. Sure enough as I'm waiting to board, I'm called for by a Red Coat and he processed my upgrade. Last seat available in J....

Yes, upgrades are processed only on DoD at the KLM lounge. I've also been told by lounge ticketing agents that they couldn't process my upgrade because the J tickets were still for sale on DoD and I had to wait until 2 hours before departure. I waited and sure enough someone bought the upgrade....

I've had upgrades processed within 40 minutes of departure. It depends on how busy they are and the agent. Most have to reference a notebook to process the upgrades.

FYI Global Upgrade Certs are easier and preferred to process vs. the cash+points option. If going the former route, have the cert # and redemption code ready to provide. The later, make sure your card issuer will process a payment from KLM Cargo. It might get declined....

Meanwhile DL is offering me €855 to upgrade to F on a 3.5 hour flight ATL-MGA. *strokes imaginary beard* Hmmm...

Last edited by maatschappij; Oct 31, 2017 at 7:38 pm Reason: added more info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.