Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need Creative Idea for Switching EWR to LGA on International Itin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'll get right to the facts.

I'm diamond and flying EWR-DTW-ICN this Sunday, OP cleared on both flights. of course, all I really care about is DTW-NRT for the OP. The EWR flight is at 7:18 AM. Since I planned on taking public transportation from Penn Station in NYC, I realized that the first NJ train out of Penn on Sunday morning is not till 5:03 AM and wouldn't get me into EWR at 5:30-ish. I'm not comfortable cutting things that close to departure time, especially when it comes to NJT. One delay or problem with NJT or the EWR Air Train and I am screwed, I will miss my flight and subsequent connection in DTW. My other idea is to take UBER from the city which costs around $100.00 for an early Sunday ride.

This being an international itinerary, DL will not let me co-terminal SDC to LGA. I can take the M60 for dollars and the M60's run 24/7.

Anyone have any ideas that I can try Sunday morning that might get DL to switch me to LGA?

Thanks
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:08 pm

I would say from what I've seen phone reps are highly unlikely to accommodate that request. You'd have a better chance at the airport on Day of Departure but that's not really an option. Your best bet is to wake up early and hope for any type of small delay on the EWR/DTW flight that will let you switch your flight.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Probably going to need to pray to the schedule change gods.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
What everyone else said. Or just plan ahead to use the bus, or pony up for a car.

Does Uber really cost $100? I think Dial7 gets you out to EWR in a (scheduled) town car for like $60.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
Probably going to need to pray to the schedule change gods.
in the next 48 hours? not likely ...
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
in the next 48 hours? not likely ...
Agreed. Missed that part and read it as "a" Sunday trip instead of "this" Sunday. Guess that's why I'm not a contracts lawyer. Gotta pay more attention.... haha
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
For departures this early I'd just get a car service regardless of which airport. Put it this way: you saved a few thousand dollars on J seats, you can afford $60 - $100 to not miss your flight.

Alternately, if you want to be cheap you could take PATH to Newark Penn Station and then a taxi or bus (#62) from there, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
This gets you an extra 15 mins, FWIW...

https://newarkairportexpress.reachlo...ewark/StopInfo

plus you don't have to change trains. Should be a pretty quick ride that early in the morning.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Seconding a recommendation for https://newarkairportexpress.reachlocal.net/Newark/Faq - I would expect that you should make it with that early bus, as I don't think it will take long.

I believe Uber X to EWR is a bit cheaper than it used to be as well? From my office in Flatiron it estimates $68 right now, I'd assume a little less that early in the morning.

YMMV, but I don't think DL will let you change to a LGA flight unless there is something like a schedule change.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
If you want to spend the money or have enough points, why not spend the night before at the airport Marriott?

PP
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by knit-in
This gets you an extra 15 mins, FWIW...

https://newarkairportexpress.reachlo...ewark/StopInfo

plus you don't have to change trains. Should be a pretty quick ride that early in the morning.
This; thanks Knit. Definitely doing this. Its insane that I cheap out on getting to the airport but $70 is $70. This is pleasure so a dollar saved is a dollar more for me to spend in Sydney. Thanks again!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pogopossum
If you want to spend the money or have enough points, why not spend the night before at the airport Marriott?

PP
I actually booked the CP at EWR (since cancelled it) for $90 total but I if I could avoid the cost of the hotel than like I said above, its $90 more I can spend in Sydney.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:53 pm

I'm confused. I think you've mentioned flying to Seoul, Narita, and Sydney. Are you flying to all of these cities?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by KeepItReal
This; thanks Knit. Definitely doing this. Its insane that I cheap out on getting to the airport but $70 is $70. This is pleasure so a dollar saved is a dollar more for me to spend in Sydney. Thanks again!
It's a little more expensive than the airport express bus, but if you'd like to drive yourself to EWR, you can pick up a car from Avis' East 43rd Street office anytime from 12:01 am Sunday on, and return it to EWR within four hours for $23.96, including taxes and gas. If you take the Holland Tunnel and then NJ 1-9 to EWR, you will incur no tolls on the drive.

More info on Avis' one-way special here:

https://www.avis.com/en/offers/us-of...e-way-your-way
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by guv1976
It's a little more expensive than the airport express bus, but if you'd like to drive yourself to EWR, you can pick up a car from Avis' East 43rd Street office anytime from 12:01 am Sunday on, and return it to EWR within four hours for $23.96, including taxes and gas. If you take the Holland Tunnel and then NJ 1-9 to EWR, you will incur no tolls on the drive.

More info on Avis' one-way special here:

https://www.avis.com/en/offers/us-of...e-way-your-way
Great tip. You win my award for post of the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.