Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed Systemwide Outage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
They had backups. It was yet another electrical issue. However thanks to more backups and preventative measures in place, they were able to get the servers back online substantially faster and with way less impact to operations than last time.
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Neither outage at Delta was due to their mainframe hardware or software.
Delta's hardware literally melted down last August. That started the chain reaction.

And now we had another significant problem. None of the other big 3 have had a major problem in the same time frame that DL has had two. Doesn't inspire confidence.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Delta's hardware literally melted down last August. That started the chain reaction.

And now we had another significant problem. None of the other big 3 have had a major problem in the same time frame that DL has had two. Doesn't inspire confidence.
What are you talking about? United had 3 this year, 2 in the exact same period
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Neither outage at Delta was due to their mainframe hardware or software.

Actually.....

GA Power had a press conference the next day confirming they didn't have any power disruption since DL was trying to throw them under the bus.

Source

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL1N1AP0QT
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Actually.....

GA Power had a press conference the next day confirming they didn't have any power disruption since DL was trying to throw them under the bus.

Source

​​AFAIK both of these involved electrical systems in the data center. I think there was some spark or something from one of electrical systems that caused the outage last time. Tbh, though, absolutely no one at the time had any idea what was going on until a little after the fact. DL corrected themselves when they realized they were wrong though.

​​​​​
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Actually.....

Source

​​AFAIK both of these involved electrical systems in the data center. I think there was some spark or something from one of electrical systems that caused the outage last time. Tbh, though, absolutely no one at the time had any idea what was going on until a little after the fact. DL corrected themselves when they realized they were wrong though.

​​​​​
the first outage was their LUW systems, not mainframe. And it was a spark like the Hindenburg was a spark. Haven't had an update on the second outage, but know it wasn't their mainframe systems.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc

​​​​​
In the end its DL's infrastructure that failed. Whether its a mainframe, switch, electrical system, or a desk chair it was DL's fault 100% not GA Powers or anyone elses.

DL only "corrected" themselves when they got called out for trying to throw a different business under the bus.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
When DL-NW merged, they merged many systems, rather than choosing one. The Delta Nervous System, which ran their operations, was a highly redundant, highly integrated real time system. Many of the NW systems were not redundant, old technology, and not real time.
Why they went with many of them, I will never understand.
While many of the software systems were merged and "best of both" were selected, the hardware/network/infrastructure systems you're referring to were all PMDL and still are to this day. The "Delta Nervous System" you refer to was most definitely selected as the post-merger platform and is in use today.

The recent outage, as well as the one in August, were not a result of choosing certain PMNW infrastructure. If anything, certain PMNW infrastructure could have been retained longer to bridge the (now obvious) gap in PMDL infrastructure.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
What are you talking about? United had 3 this year, 2 in the exact same period
I said "major". All of them were minor compared to DL's problems. UA's ACARS outage in January was much smaller in scope, limited to domestic mainline, and resulted in only about a dozen cancellations--although with some very long "delays" that were really cancellations. DL's recent shutdown, meanwhile, was for all operations and cancelled hundreds of flights over two days, along with many cancellations disguised as very long "delays".

The WN and DL outages last summer were historically large in their nature. DL is having the worst IT problems these days.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: DL GM
I got a call from Delta yesterday apologizing for the outage and offering a $200 voucher + 10k sorry miles. Anyone else get more/less? It felt like my complaint email is what spurred the call - not sure it would have happened without my action.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by isaacatsea
I got a call from Delta yesterday apologizing for the outage and offering a $200 voucher + 10k sorry miles. Anyone else get more/less? It felt like my complaint email is what spurred the call - not sure it would have happened without my action.
I only got an email from Delta. I did not get any of call from Delta, because of outside in the USA to live?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Originally Posted by isaacatsea
I got this same email offering a $200 voucher to be deposited on Feb 15 (plus miles). I got the miles but no voucher. Anyone actually have DL follow through?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.