Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FO Saturday upgrade chances?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:13 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
That would be the cost of an upgrade for any AA Gold/Plat for a 2hr flight. So not bad.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by outwrdbound
Good to hear that and glad you enjoyed the flight. Just a question, is DL selling upgrades during OLCI and/or at the counter/kiosk before all elites have cleared? Similar to what UA does where most upgrades seem to be sold during OLCI rather than purchased in advance and prior to Primer members clearing the list.
Yes - on this flight upgrades were being sold before any elites had cleared. For whatever reason, elites don't clear on these widebody domestic flights at the window--it's mostly at the gate right before the flight (perhaps another FTer knows why that is)

Not sure about counter/kiosk...but definitely at OLCI (which was a first for me--I've never gotten an upgrade offer at check-in before)
Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kylep1256
Yes - on this flight upgrades were being sold before any elites had cleared. For whatever reason, elites don't clear on these widebody domestic flights at the window--it's mostly at the gate right before the flight (perhaps another FTer knows why that is)

Not sure about counter/kiosk...but definitely at OLCI (which was a first for me--I've never gotten an upgrade offer at check-in before)
Last 2 times I've checked in I've had offers to buy-up to first as a GM. I cleared easily on MCO-JFK but missed on LAS-LAX. Both times the buy up was in the $100 range.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
Last 2 times I've checked in I've had offers to buy-up to first as a GM. I cleared easily on MCO-JFK but missed on LAS-LAX. Both times the buy up was in the $100 range.
Does anyone know if this is a new thing? I will be moving from AA to DL later this year due to a change in company travel policy. I would imagine this would have a huge impact on elite comp upgrades unless its only on a small scale and when "the system" expects all elites to clear (similar to how AA does this, IME). With UAs implementation, many 1k and GS members miss out on upgrades due to the OLCI buy-up offers. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the new industry standard. Can't really blame them if it works, but it devalues status nevertheless. I guess if the offer is the same for elites as it is for non-elites, this wouldn't be so bad either (from what I gather, these are seldom offered to UA elites).
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by outwrdbound
Does anyone know if this is a new thing? I will be moving from AA to DL later this year due to a change in company travel policy. I would imagine this would have a huge impact on elite comp upgrades unless its only on a small scale and when "the system" expects all elites to clear (similar to how AA does this, IME). With UAs implementation, many 1k and GS members miss out on upgrades due to the OLCI buy-up offers. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the new industry standard. Can't really blame them if it works, but it devalues status nevertheless. I guess if the offer is the same for elites as it is for non-elites, this wouldn't be so bad either (from what I gather, these are seldom offered to UA elites).
It's been going on for a year or longer. Search this board for FCM or First Class Monetization - there is at least one huge thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.