Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TSA Plans to Limit PreCheck to Enrolled Trusted Travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Plans to Limit PreCheck to Enrolled Trusted Travelers

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Jon_R
If they did change it I am happy with the change. I paid for the product and at times the pre check line has been terrible. At times I think the regular line would have been quicker. If they limit it to people that paid for it that sounds good to me. Getting it is only 80 bucks for 4 or 5 years or get global entry for 20 more and it includes pre check.
I will add that global entry doesn't guarantee TSA pre-check. It's about 95% of the time, but I've been global entry since it started and not been TSA pre-check for 2 flights out of about 50. Luckily, the interviewing agent in ATL warned me of such and kept me from being really displeased when I wasn't TSA Pre.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by weaverswonders6
I will add that global entry doesn't guarantee TSA pre-check. It's about 95% of the time, but I've been global entry since it started and not been TSA pre-check for 2 flights out of about 50. Luckily, the interviewing agent in ATL warned me of such and kept me from being really displeased when I wasn't TSA Pre.
I'm at 100%, although I still get randomly selected once or twice a year.

Generally when I'm trying to catch the 0600 IAD-JFK flight...
Old May 23, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
If they did change it I am happy with the change. I paid for the product and at times the pre check line has been terrible. At times I think the regular line would have been quicker. If they limit it to people that paid for it that sounds good to me. Getting it is only 80 bucks for 4 or 5 years or get global entry for 20 more and it includes pre check.
This. And it seems to me that they are still letting tons of random people into the Pre lines. I had family members flying UA yesterday, all non-status and 3 of 4 haven't even flown at all in the past 3 years (including two kids under age 10). All four of them got Pre.

Also this past weekend, flying out of MSY the Pre line was an absolute disaster. Went to the SP like that was much shorter, and then the doc checkers started arguing about why all these Pre people were going through the "wrong" line...
Old May 23, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
This. And it seems to me that they are still letting tons of random people into the Pre lines. I had family members flying UA yesterday, all non-status and 3 of 4 haven't even flown at all in the past 3 years (including two kids under age 10). All four of them got Pre.

Also this past weekend, flying out of MSY the Pre line was an absolute disaster. Went to the SP like that was much shorter, and then the doc checkers started arguing about why all these Pre people were going through the "wrong" line...
My mom recently got it on a CVG-TPA trip that I booked for her using miles. Gave her the full rundown so she'd know what to do.

MSY is always a mess. Meanwhile, BTR is curb to gate in about 10 minutes.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I used to get TSA Precheck all the time, but my latest trip two weeks ago I only got it one way (LGA-RIC). I don't have status anywhere but all my tickets are purchased First Class so I have just been assuming they have been giving the TSA Pre to all that had Priority
Old May 23, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
+1. It's only $85 for five years. Well worth it for me but the benefit is greatly dimished when you get behind people that are clueless and bring water bottles through in their bag or you get behind someone take five minutes to get their designer boots off because they don't realize shoes can stay on for precheck.

I don't how many times I've heard the FCM fans on here say WFBF when a diamond complains about not getting a FC upgrade. This is the same thing, WPC then BPC.

The FCM fans say that FC seats are still available for diamonds like before they just have to pay to sit up front. PC is still available for people but like with FCM, they are no expect to pay to have it.

Last edited by jamesteroh; May 23, 2017 at 10:37 am Reason: Edited to correct precheck charge
Old May 23, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
+1. It's only $80 a year. Well worth it for me but the benefit is greatly dimished when you get behind people that are clueless and bring water bottles through in their bag or you get behind someone take five minutes to get their designer boots off because they don't realize shoes can stay on for precheck.
DING DING
Old May 23, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
For myself (and many others) this was a valuable perk, being non-US we cannot apply for pre-check
Old May 23, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
As a NEXUS member, the times I haven't been selected for PreCheck fall into one of two categories:

- Name mismatch on ticket. This most often happens when I redeem a voucher or certificate, and Delta insists on using FIRSTNAME LASTNAME rather than FIRSTNAME MIDDLE LASTNAME.

- Selected for enhanced screening. SSSS appears on my boarding pass in these cases.

I haven't had any "misses" that don't fall into these categories - if the name is correct and the KTN number is there, I'm either getting PreCheck or a free enhanced massage.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
+1. It's only $80 a year. Well worth it for me but the benefit is greatly dimished when you get behind people that are clueless and bring water bottles through in their bag or you get behind someone take five minutes to get their designer boots off because they don't realize shoes can stay on for precheck.
That might have been a typo (or you meant for the entire family to get PC), but it's actually only $17 a year ($85 application fee).

I look at it like this - TSAPre annually costs less than a single checked bag going in one direction. Talk about value!

Your scenario, by the way, is spot on. When people who don't understand what TSAPre means get it randomly assigned, it messes up the whole show. Somehow, I got stuck behind someone who didn't take anything out of their pockets... A move that is consistent among all security.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even if you have PreCheck, I don't think that guarantees that you'll get PreCheck for all flights.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Gig103
That might have been a typo (or you meant for the entire family to get PC), but it's actually only $17 a year ($85 application fee).

I look at it like this - TSAPre annually costs less than a single checked bag going in one direction. Talk about value!

Your scenario, by the way, is spot on. When people who don't understand what TSAPre means get it randomly assigned, it messes up the whole show. Somehow, I got stuck behind someone who didn't take anything out of their pockets... A move that is consistent among all security.
Sorry was a typo. I meant $85 and will correct my post. Even if someone only flies one RT a month it comes out to 71 cents each trip, well worth it but a lot of the value goes away when you get stuck in a 10 minute line behind clueless passengers that fly once a year and are clueless as to how it works.

Vegas is awful and I'm really thankful Clear is a diamond benefit now. When I flew out of Vegas recently someone put a bag with a bunch of liquids through precheck and someone was arguing with the TSA about it. Apparently they stopped for beverages at the liquor store in baggage claim upon arrival and were worried about buying too much since they couldn't bring it back and the store clerk said as long as they bought it in the airport they just had to show the receipt to TSA coming back and it would be fine The guy was complaining about how they paid a premium at the airport thinking they could bring liquids back and pissed off TSA wouldn't budge. Another time out of Vegas I got behind someone who wasn't a US resident and couldn't speak English and she had a question and they had to find a TSA agent that could speak her language (I think it was French). Another time at Vegas I got behind someone with an expensive bottle of Tequilla they bought at Duty Free in another country and they were doing a stop over in Vegas and were upset with TSA they couldn't fly with it since it was bought at Duty free
Old May 23, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Or pay 30$ less and get both Precheck, GE, and NEXUS for 50$.

Last edited by flyerCO; May 23, 2017 at 10:55 am
Old May 23, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Contradancer
I had seen information that suggested but did not say explicitly that TSA PreCheck was going away for anyone who didn't pay for it.
As it should be. Everyone is elite these days and if they are giving TSA pre the lines are already way too clogged. In fact I wish they would up the fee to say $300 from $85 or whatever I paid. That's way too cheap.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:49 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dand99
For myself (and many others) this was a valuable perk, being non-US we cannot apply for pre-check
Depending on citizenship, you may be able to apply for Global Entry which would also make you eligible for Pre.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ry/eligibility

While not guaranteed, I can't think of any instance when I have not been Pre that were eligible.

I had two international originating flights a few years ago that got me SSSSed - those are the only two I can think of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.