Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

BOS-LAX-BOS - Feb 18 prices are exorbitant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-LAX-BOS - Feb 18 prices are exorbitant

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
JetBlue Mint is $549 for BOS-LAX on the 18th. A great deal if planning on paying in the 400s anyway!
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by flyingdoc747
It's originally booked as LAX-DTW-BOS red eye. I'll have more options earlier in the day if I have to SDS as a PM, keeping the same routing via DTW, right? Would you risk it and do this? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again, everyone!
what's the FCM buyup? if you do a portion of that as PWM, you'll have SDC-ability to any flights with open FC seats **including LAX-JFK-BOS**
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
You should try New York to South Florida. $700-800 unless you want to fly at off hours or fly Spirit.
That is much worse as, after spending that money, you end up in South Florida.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:43 am
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
what's the FCM buyup? if you do a portion of that as PWM, you'll have SDC-ability to any flights with open FC seats **including LAX-JFK-BOS**
Haha! I like how you think!

Last thing, as a PM, we can SDS on award tickets? Let's say the low award inventory is sold out that day on an earlier flight. I can same day standby on earlier flights with the same routings, right (similar to revenue tickets)? I don't necessarily need to have the same award availability on the earlier flight to same day standby, right (unless I want to SDC)? Thanks a million, everyone! I like everyone's tricks of the trade AND humorous advice too!

Last edited by flyingdoc747; Jan 27, 2017 at 7:46 am Reason: Proofreading
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by pbarnette
That is much worse as, after spending that money, you end up in South Florida.
As a South Florida resident that's not very nice. :-)
Old Jan 27, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyingdoc747
Haha! I like how you think!

Last thing, as a PM, we can SDS on award tickets? Let's say the low award inventory is sold out that day on an earlier flight. I can same day standby on earlier flights with the same routings, right (similar to revenue tickets)? I don't necessarily need to have the same award availability on the earlier flight to same day standby, right (unless I want to SDC)? Thanks a million, everyone! I like everyone's tricks of the trade AND humorous advice too!
Correct can SDS to any flight that day, including later with same routing. SDC requires same award level to SDC, but you can change routing.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I paid around $750/each for my family to fly JFK-LAX from 2/23-2/28 over a month ago. I chalked it up to the fact that it is Oscar weekend.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:07 am
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by acrophobia
I paid around $750/each for my family to fly JFK-LAX from 2/23-2/28 over a month ago. I chalked it up to the fact that it is Oscar weekend.
wowsers! And yes, you're right! I forgot about the oscars! Man, why does my course have to fall on the weekend of Presidents' Day and the Oscar's weekend thereafter. First world problems...I eventually just snagged the $466 one way ticket on Feb 18 and returning to BOS on the 27th on a one-way award. thank you again to everyone for your advice, fun and all!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:51 am
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by appleguru
Since when is $600-$700 for a nonstop RT flight "exorbitant"?? A little high, sure..

I'd go so far as to say that the $300ish fares are a great deal and the average is closer to $500
I remember the good ol' days... 2009, flying SEA ->JKF for $200 NS/RT.
One trip we got $190 RT tickets. 2010+ flights were mostly ~$300.

This year we paid $500 about 4 months in advance, even though oil was about the same price it was in 2009.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apodo77
As a South Florida resident that's not very nice. :-)
To be fair, that's probably the second worst week of the year to be down there, it's pretty crazy! The worst is Xmas/New Year's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.