Search

"Dynamic" Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
"Dynamic" Pricing

Sometimes I wonder who would pay these prices for FC???

Seems a bit overboard in my opinion....

Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Sometimes I wonder who would pay these prices for FC???

Seems a bit overboard in my opinion....
Supply and demand
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM
Knowing the dates you're looking at would go a long way towards helping the rest of us answer your question...
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta PM & 2.4M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve
I would think that DL has a pretty pricing model for figuring out FC pricing. Seems spendy to most but I'm sure there are some "high rollers" who don't blink. If not, more seats available for upgrades :>)
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM
This generally happens when the flight is down to just a few first class seats left and all the A and P inventory is sold. Still makes it nice for people who can SDC to a different flight (in first class) and they are not worried about specific inventory.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by AJDelvarno
Knowing the dates you're looking at would go a long way towards helping the rest of us answer your question...
This is all the way out in May, I cleared the browser, and searched other various dates closer. All of them are coming out to $1,900-$2,100.

Seems odd as usually this route is about $800 or so in FC.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Looks like the front is pretty much sold out here but there is plenty of room in the back. Given the dates, I don't think this is an example of last-seat availability but rather testing the market to capture high-paying F only demand. I'd expect they have a model that, based on historical data and/or date specific data, knows when to ramp up the price in advance of potential F only demand. That model also will likely reduce the pricing as the departure date nears if the seats aren't sold. Inventory availability and the resulting pricing isn't always a downward trend with an airline. The chase is for the exact highest fare for every seat on the plane while at the same time not having to pay to fly an empty seat.

I would expect this route (XXX-LAS) to have a decent number of last minute flyers who only fly in F (but can't afford to fly private). For Example, most any D-list + celebrity likely has commercial F in whatever contract they're working under. You also have a ton of conventions with May really being one of the biggest months ahead of the summer season (and associated vacations). The LV Convention Center can hold 120,000+ people and every industry has those that only fly F. All in all, LAS is one of the more unique and interesting domestic markets.

Last edited by kenn0223; Jan 16, 2017 at 9:14 am
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:08 am

As Mr. Tickets said, they just aren't selling anything but full F fares - no discounted versions. That will almost always happen when they're down to just a few first class seats, and might happen if DL has reason to believe they can sell a lot of full fare tickets on certain routes/dates. Any big conventions around then? Perhaps one with heavy ATL attendance?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've seen this with LAS frequently, even when flights have a lot of open seats up front. Worked out for me during CES a couple weeks ago... return flight was wide open yet only full F for sale, so got a comp upgrade.

Seems they need to tweak their FCM for there... although it can mean more available seats for medallions to get upgraded because of it.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vincentharris
This is all the way out in May, I cleared the browser, and searched other various dates closer. All of them are coming out to $1,900-$2,100.

Seems odd as usually this route is about $800 or so in FC.
How are you searching? I'm seeing a number of dates with sub $800 fares. Google Flights returns the exact same results, so can we please leave out the tin-foil hatism. Calendar search for non-stop F with 4 day stay --
Attached Images  
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
It seems to be departures on May 2nd where prices are this high for the non-stop in F. The surrounding days are back to ~$800.

There is a big convention starting the 3rd, but it could be a coincidence.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
It seems to be departures on May 2nd where prices are this high for the non-stop in F. The surrounding days are back to ~$800.

There is a big convention starting the 3rd, but it could be a coincidence.
OP did not specify May, but rather "all the way out to May". This is clearly nonsense (see monthly calendar view above).
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
OP did not specify May, but rather "all the way out to May". This is clearly nonsense (see monthly calendar view above).
Actually he did. He said "all the way out in May."

There's multiple big number conventions in May some over 50000 people. May 3rd is start of Hospitality convention with close to 20000 expected for it alone. There's also multiple others starting same day adding another 15-20k.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jan 16, 2017 at 10:43 am
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't see any big conventions starting that would explain the May 2 price...

The next big one is in early March and then late April, and there is also spring break demand in march/april (although thats not really F travel).
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Actually he did. He said "all the way out in May."

There's multiple big number conventions in May some over 50000 people. May 3rd is start of Hospitality convention with close to 20000 expected for it alone. There's also multiple others starting same day adding another 15-20k.
Okay, I got the quote wrong, but I believe the interpretation is correct (namely he's claiming the pricing is present all the way out to May for all dates).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.