Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone know what happened w/ DL68 NRT-PDX diverting to Cold Bay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone know what happened w/ DL68 NRT-PDX diverting to Cold Bay?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Widgets
Deltanet published a cool story about this flight and what happened to get it operating again.

Here are photos of the event.

The full story will hopefully be posted on news.delta.com.
  • An Antonov An-124 cargo plane was used to fly two de-ice trucks, 1000s of gallons of de-ice fluid, and other equipment to Cold Bay.
  • A Lockheed L-100 Hercules cargo plane was chartered to fly the replacement engine from Los Angeles to Cold Bay.
  • The diverted aircraft was on the ground for about a week, but the replacement aircraft had departed SEA within two hours of the diversion.
That was a really expensive rescue operation! Was that 767 worth it? <joke>
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:30 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Oops!

Accidental dupe.

Last edited by davetravels; Feb 17, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:38 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by estedman
Good grief. Wonder how much that cost them to replace and engine?
I would think it was MUCH cheaper than this B777LR JNB/ATL rescue on Ascencion Island where a replacement engine was transported WAY out there plus a rescue B777, + crews, mechanics and equipment to change the engine on the island, etc. . . . The story, with pics, including, finding a plane big enough to transport a B777 engine there is fascinating!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ight=ascencion
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Sorry, I meant tended bars, because in the post of yours that I was responding to you said "Any SC with a bartender should have some sort of champagne, including the small bottles. The luxury bars have better choices." But I don't know of any tended SC bar that is not a luxury bar that sells anything, including champagne--they just serve the complimentary offerings.
I don't even know how many tended bars that are not luxury bars are left....is SLC still one? FLL? Since SFO moved I am not in any clubs without luxury bars in my regular travels.
Many of the outstation clubs are like this. My home club (JAX) has bartenders and has stuff for sale, but doesn't have a luxury bar.

I know this is a bit off topic..
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by davetravels
I would think it was MUCH cheaper than this B777LR JNB/ATL rescue on Ascencion Island where a replacement engine was transported WAY out there plus a rescue B777, + crews, mechanics and equipment to change the engine on the island, etc. . . .
I'm sure both were expensive. The recent 767 repair required sending deicing equipment and supplies along with another engine and mechanics.
I wonder that they couldn't have flown it with just a crew on a single engine to ANC, but I don't work in DL OPS.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by davetravels
I would think it was MUCH cheaper than this B777LR JNB/ATL rescue on Ascencion Island where a replacement engine was transported WAY out there plus a rescue B777, + crews, mechanics and equipment to change the engine on the island, etc. . . .
I'm sure both were expensive. The recent 767 repair required sending deicing equipment and supplies along with another engine and mechanics.
I wonder that they couldn't have flown it with just a crew on a single engine to ANC, but I don't work in DL OPS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.