Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: Delta will suspend NRT-TPE and close Taiwan branch office

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: Delta will suspend NRT-TPE and close Taiwan branch office

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TerryK
Likely not. AA operated 777-200 for SJC-TPE-SJC. CI operates 777-300ER which is significantly larger and heavier.
Right. So then this rumor doesn't really have legs since CI doesn't have the right equipment to service SJC.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jj243

Right. So then this rumor doesn't really have legs since CI doesn't have the right equipment to service SJC.
Internet is full of rumors started by armchair CEOs.
jj243 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Likely not. AA operated 777-200 for SJC-TPE-SJC. CI operates 777-300ER which is significantly larger and heavier.
CI also operates the A350, which would be more ideal for SJC-TPE.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Austin787
CI also operates the A350, which would be more ideal for SJC-TPE.
NH operates a 787 - it's not like the airport never sees large widebody flights.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Sorry, it was CI adding the Ontario flight, it wasn't BR - my mistake/confusion. Though I kept hearing a direct flight to SJC from TPE (I am in SJC). It makes sense. SJC now has direct flight to PEK, PVG, LHR, NRT... TPE, ICN, and HKG are the only 3 missing gateways.

As far as using an Asian gateway to connect strategy is concerned, TPE/HKG/MNL are all flawed. You overfly by at least 2 hours versus connect via NRT/ICN/PEK... PVG is the southern most that makes sense --- if you want a central gateway into all over Asia.

Most of the long haul at SJC are using B787, so the airport can definitely support it. SJC has been a divert airport for SFO. I've seen A380 B747 landed here...

Last edited by wlau; Feb 12, 2018 at 6:23 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wlau
....Most of the long haul at SJC are using B787, so the airport can definitely support it. SJC has been a divert airport for SFO. I've seen A380 B747 landed here...
787 should work for SJC. Neither CI nor BR currently operates 787 though. A350 may work but I don't know enough to judge one way or the other.

Diversion airport doesn't mean much. Many airports can land A380 as diversion. They cannot support A380 take off with full load. A380 taking off from SJC can only land in nearby airports due to load restriction. This is not an issue during diversion but cannot work with scheduled longhaul flights.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM; Marriott PE
Has anyone heard anything about an ATL-TPE flight? In November, I was in the Delta lounge at NRT and was talking to the rep how much i missed Delta’s NRT-TPE service and was told that they were looking at an ATL-TPE direct. That would be terrific as I go to TPE often and refuse to go to LAX or SFO then onward on CI for the long flight. For me, CI is miserable with bad service , food, and most of all, the seats are small/uncomfortable with limited video selections. I do the NRT-TPE leg on CI under protest.
wlau likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by ms2488
Has anyone heard anything about an ATL-TPE flight? In November, I was in the Delta lounge at NRT and was talking to the rep how much i missed Delta’s NRT-TPE service and was told that they were looking at an ATL-TPE direct. That would be terrific as I go to TPE often and refuse to go to LAX or SFO then onward on CI for the long flight. For me, CI is miserable with bad service , food, and most of all, the seats are small/uncomfortable with limited video selections. I do the NRT-TPE leg on CI under protest.
Errrr@CI. Those new CI 777 has the narrowest seats in 10-abreast config. They also like their seat cushion hard like their mattress. I lost the count of my times my rear became numb just 2-3 hours into the flight...it's a torture - i flat refuse to fly CI unless i have absolutely no choice. I'd fly to ATL to go to TPE on DL
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ms2488
To be fair, CI’s intra asia service often gets their older aircraft, while the international service to the US is consistently on their brand new A350 or 777 aircraft with fantastic interiors and IFE with tons of selections. If you’ve only ever tried them on a short regional hop, you might want to give them another chance across the Pacific.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:50 pm

787 should work for SJC. Neither CI nor BR currently operates 787 though. A350 may work but I don't know enough to judge one way or the other.
BR has several 787s on order (both -9 and -10 variants), with deliveries starting in 2018.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BenA

To be fair, CI’s intra asia service often gets their older aircraft, while the international service to the US is consistently on their brand new A350 or 777 aircraft with fantastic interiors and IFE with tons of selections. If you’ve only ever tried them on a short regional hop, you might want to give them another chance across the Pacific.
I flew on CI's 77W TPE-HAN-TPE in economy and had no problems with it, Sure it's tight at 10 across in Y, but outside of DL right now, who doesn't have their 777s configured like that? I also flew their A350 TPE-PVG. I enjoyed the IFE which I found to be quite good, the seats were as comfortable as any other Y seat and I found the staff to be excellent. I would have no problem, based on those experiences, flying on CI to/from the US if I had to. Additionally, the J product on the 77Ws and 350s are both excellent, very well appointed and modern. Again, I'd have no problem at all flying that.

Are you sure (ms2488) that you aren't thinking of China Eastern??
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
I flew on CI's 77W TPE-HAN-TPE in economy and had no problems with it
How can you use a short hop from Taiwan to Vietnam as benchmark? Try 14 hours on those 777 seats.. I was fortunate enough to sit in the mid-front and front on several occassions, every seat is rock hard, just like Asian mattress. I am Asian and don't have much of a butt, and those seats were hurting my back and tailbone. IFE is newer and bigger than the old Panasonic system on DL but the contents are the same... I think SkyTeam license their contents on a collective agreement. DL/CI/MU all have nearly the same content. Even MU has softer seat than CI... I do like the food better on CI due to ample Asian flavors but CI is very limited with alcohol choices, even in J. They are also very stingy with their pours.

The short hop intra-Asian routes use very very old planes. Much much older than DL's main fleet. There are even aircraft with no IFE and power! You got lucky due to routing or equipment swap. BenA is right, they used new aircraft for NA and EU flights. China, Japan, Korea, etc are mostly based on very old aircraft... Outside of DL, I fly most with CI due to lack of choices.

Last edited by wlau; Feb 13, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.