Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Delta buy me a suit?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Should Delta buy me a suit?

On Dec 31 I was in D1 DTW-PEK. D1 was very empty, I was the only customer seated in the mini cabin (A332). I had a 5.5 hour layover in DTW before departure.

Upon arrival into PEK on Jan 1, my name was with a bunch of other names (about 8 total) on a signboard at baggage claim. At the baggage office they showed us a piece of paper that said that due to smoggy conditions in PEK DL decided to offload bags in DTW and that our bags would be coming the next day.

I called Diamond in the US, and they said I could purchase "reasonable" expenses including clothing with no limit.

Being Jan 1, Sunday night, late evening, I didn't really have time to get on Taobao to order a new suit for my Monday morning business meetings. I went to the nearest mall and bought a suit and shirt that fit me, for about US$600.

I submitted a claim. What do you all think? Will DL reimburse me? Should Delta have pulled off a D1 Diamond bag with a 5 hour layover from the plane when plenty of other bags made it through? I know I can count on this crowd for the unvarnished truth!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Yes, they will reimburse you.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
They should pay out. Especially being a DM there's really no reason for them not to. I've bought new suits twice in last year paid by DL. NO issues in getting paid back. In fact bag claims for DM get handled by a separate group.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Back in the days of being a DM I had a trip to a resort that took about 3 days to get the bags to me, iirc, and I had over $600 in "resort wear" - ie, tommy bahama, swim suit, etc., all purchased at the store at the resort for crazy retail prices.

Had a check about 2 weeks after I turned in the receipts to them.

You should have no problem getting reimbursed as a DM on a D1 flight.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:45 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Oh, I'm SURE the stockholders are LUVIN' this thread!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by davetravels
Eh, why do businessmen always need suits -makes me think of doormen.

Just show up in a company t-shirt and unzipped branded sweatshirt over it.
(less money, more enthuaism, more comfortable, and more free advertising )
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Eh, why do businessmen always need suits -makes me think of doormen.

Just show up in a company t-shirt and unzipped branded sweatshirt over it.
(less money, more enthuaism, more comfortable, and more free advertising )
I think you have to be a billionaire to have that privilege.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by WWads
I think you have to be a billionaire to have that privilege.
LOL. IDK why but when I see someone in a suit I think "Look at me, I'm important and when you approach me I'm going to be stuffy"

I've joked with my small team of seven how it isn't going to fly with me

(pun not intended)

I suppose you could be sorta right though.. Even so, this is how my team members expect to see me. Only.. Way.. Younger.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I'm probably missing something stupid, but why would smoggy conditions in PEK mean they can't take the bags on the flight?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:41 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I'm probably missing something stupid, but why would smoggy conditions in PEK mean they can't take the bags on the flight?
Guessing weight issues should visibility decrease due to smog (i.e. need to fuel for a further alternate). Surprising, however, given that the flight wasn't otherwise full.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I would certainly hope DL with do a full reimbursement. We had something similar once and what made me mad about it was as a medallion flier our bags were "priority" yet they still got offloaded.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Priority bags are put on last so to be first off, right? I guess that makes them the easiest to offload as well...
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:07 pm

Just a guess but off loading 8 bags with a one day delay, even factoring in reimbursements and baggage delivery, would probably cost less than the delay plus having to IDB 5-8 passengers and then have to dig through the plane to find their specific bags.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:17 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Maybe they should handle bags like VDBing passengers - with vouchers asking for volunteers.

Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm sure that in the end this practice is good for the bottom line. The alternatives are more expensive, including loosing a high value customer who is probably worth much more than $600 per year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.